Come on! Throw us a bone here!

I would've sniffed the traffic myself, but don't want to restore to 3.1 just to do this.
    2009-09-16 07:58 PM
    I would give it a test drive...!
    2009-09-16 08:30 PM
    Would you be willing to PM me the solution? I have a web server running at home so should be able to set it up.

My problem is that the phone has been reset and now requires an iTunes restore, if I do this I will lose the ability to unlock. I am hoping I will be able to use the 3.1 release coming soon to restore through iTunes but I might need to use my own challenge/response to get it working? Even before the 3.1 release I should be able to get the phone back on 3.0 with this solution. Cold really do with this info? Please?
    2009-09-16 08:39 PM
    Would you be willing to PM me the solution? I have a web server running at home so should be able to set it up.

My problem is that the phone has been reset and now requires an iTunes restore, if I do this I will lose the ability to unlock. I am hoping I will be able to use the 3.1 release coming soon to restore through iTunes but I might need to use my own challenge/response to get it working? Even before the 3.1 release I should be able to get the phone back on 3.0 with this solution. Cold really do with this info? Please?
    Sorry dude... having your own challenge/response server isn't going to help in your situation. If your phone is on 3.0.x and requires a restore, you're only going to be able to restore to 3.1 which will ruin your hopes of unlocking (Ultrasn0w) at least for the foreseeable future and possibly forever.

You should wait for the dev team's PWNAGETOOL release for 3.1 (not redsn0w) to create a custom firmware which will not upgrade your baseband. That is really your only hope.

As far as being able to downgrade, once you get a jailbroken phone back online with cydia, open cydia and have saurik save your SHSH on-file so you can revert back to 3.1. You'll have to do this before Apple stops signing the 3.1 firmwares... hopefully saurik is going to open this up soon.

It's probably not what you wanted to hear but...
    2009-09-16 09:08 PM
    Never mind. Got some 64KB response from Apple's server starting like:

STATUS=0&MESSAGE=SUCCESS&REQUEST_STRING=<?xml ...

Setting an apache and a simple cgi to print that in response to iTunes request should do the trick, right?
    2009-09-16 09:16 PM
    Sorry dude... having your own challenge/response server isn't going to help in your situation. If your phone is on 3.0.x and requires a restore, you're only going to be able to restore to 3.1 which will ruin your hopes of unlocking (Ultrasn0w) at least for the foreseeable future and possibly forever.

You should wait for the dev team's PWNAGETOOL release for 3.1 (not redsn0w) to create a custom firmware which will not upgrade your baseband. That is really your only hope.

As far as being able to downgrade, once you get a jailbroken phone back online with cydia, open cydia and have saurik save your SHSH on-file so you can revert back to 3.1. You'll have to do this before Apple stops signing the 3.1 firmwares... hopefully saurik is going to open this up soon.

It's probably not what you wanted to hear but...
    Thanks for the reply. I have been preparing myself for the worst and suspect I'm gonna end up losing the unlock as I think the error on the phone is actually a hardware issue only repairable through the iTunes restore.

Having said that, if the 3.1 restore in iTunes works, why wouldn't the 3.0 restore (selected by pressing Option+restore) in iTunes work, if I could get the challenge/response when verifying with Apple? What's the difference?

You seem to be suggesting that this is how I may be able to use the PWNAGETOOL to create the correct ipsw and then restore through iTunes, unless I'm mis-understanding?

Thanks for your advice.
    2009-09-16 11:52 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I have been preparing myself for the worst and suspect I'm gonna end up losing the unlock as I think the error on the phone is actually a hardware issue only repairable through the iTunes restore.

Having said that, if the 3.1 restore in iTunes works, why wouldn't the 3.0 restore (selected by pressing Option+restore) in iTunes work, if I could get the challenge/response when verifying with Apple? What's the difference?

You seem to be suggesting that this is how I may be able to use the PWNAGETOOL to create the correct ipsw and then restore through iTunes, unless I'm mis-understanding?

Thanks for your advice.
    I just wanted to say, that most hardware failures/malfunctions, aren't usually fixed through software (firmware)
    2009-09-17 02:43 AM
    Possible but I bet putting your phone in DFU and restoring probably fixes it. I don't think I've ever seen a legitimate hardware issue that wasn't, in fact, fixed by a firmware reinstall.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you weren't previously jailbroken on 3.0 (or 3.0.1) and didn't run Cydia and get "on file" with saurik's server. If that is indeed the case, you're screwed, you can either restore to 3.1 and lose your unlock or wait til the PWNAGETOOL for 3.1 is released and install a custom firmware without the baseband update (thereby preserving your ability to unlock with ultrasn0w).

If, by chance, you are "on file" with saurik just edit your hosts file to point gs.apple.com to saurik's server. Then restore your 3.0 firmware.

The reason you can't restore 3.1 and then to the option + restore to 3.0 is because Apple stopped signing the 3.0 firmware when they released 3.1. So unless you're "on file" you can't go back to 3.0...

Thanks for your advice.
    The PWNAGETOOL will (once released) create a custom 3.1 firmware that does not include the baseband update. If your baseband remains unchanged you can still use ultrasn0w to unlock it.

Hope this helps clarify things for ya...

Cheers!!

OOOH... one more thing. If you decide to just to the update to 3.1 and forego the unlock (possibly forever), make sure you edit your hosts file to point to saurik's server. This will at least put you "on file" so you will be able to revert to 3.1 for the life of the phone (or saurik's server, or iTunes v9)
    Last edited by sirsycho; 2009-09-17 at 03:33 AM.
    2009-09-17 03:29 AM
    Thanks for all your comments.

I don't believe it is actually a hardware failure more a communication error between software and hardware. I can run the redsnow jailbreak it says it's been successful and then the iPhone shows a lot of command text before getting an error at the mounting disk02s2... line. Having googled it it should restore ok.

I was previously jailbroken on 3.0 but didn't run the @on [email protected] in Cydia (just didn't know!) I did download the ECID file from purplera1n.com which is why I was interested in setting up my own callback server, previously mentioned in this post. I have tried changing the hosts file and running it in case I'd forgotten putting it on file but sadly the 'it's not on file' error occured.

So will the custom 3.1 firmware from the PWANGETOOL work through iTunes restore if I press option+restore and select it. (Assume at this point that my iPhone has no hardware issue and that it would otherwise restore using the Apple firmware, this of course is my hope but there is a danger it won't restore with any firmware!)

Thanks once again.

P.S. The only reason I want the jailbreak is to allow for ultrasn0w, this is more important to me than any other benefits from jailbreak which I can happily live without, so I will be hanging on in my current state until all hope has been lost!
    2009-09-17 10:32 AM
    Thanks for all your comments.

I don't believe it is actually a hardware failure more a communication error between software and hardware. I can run the redsnow jailbreak it says it's been successful and then the iPhone shows a lot of command text before getting an error at the mounting disk02s2... line. Having googled it it should restore ok.

I was previously jailbroken on 3.0 but didn't run the @on [email protected] in Cydia (just didn't know!) I did download the ECID file from purplera1n.com which is why I was interested in setting up my own callback server, previously mentioned in this post. I have tried changing the hosts file and running it in case I'd forgotten putting it on file but sadly the 'it's not on file' error occured.

So will the custom 3.1 firmware from the PWANGETOOL work through iTunes restore if I press option+restore and select it. (Assume at this point that my iPhone has no hardware issue and that it would otherwise restore using the Apple firmware, this of course is my hope but there is a danger it won't restore with any firmware!)

Thanks once again.

P.S. The only reason I want the jailbreak is to allow for ultrasn0w, this is more important to me than any other benefits from jailbreak which I can happily live without, so I will be hanging on in my current state until all hope has been lost!
    the 3.1 pwnagetool, should help your situation then.

BUT, it hasn't been updated for the 3GS yet, and i think the dev team is coordinating it all with saurik.
    2009-09-17 10:46 AM
    the 3.1 pwnagetool, should help your situation then.

BUT, it hasn't been updated for the 3GS yet, and i think the dev team is coordinating it all with saurik.
    Thanks, that gives me some hope to hang on to!
    2009-09-17 10:50 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD