I finally found out that the UniqueBuildID is not device unique.

So i released the shsh grabber for 3.1.

The Firmware Umbrella

This is the blog i set up for md5 and the only official download link for the tool.

The source is all included.
    2009-09-17 07:24 PM
    If I got 3 files 01.shsh, 02.shsh, and 03.shshs, does trhat mean I did it right?
    2009-09-18 12:18 AM
    If I got 3 files 01.shsh, 02.shsh, and 03.shshs, does trhat mean I did it right?
    If at the top of each STATUS=0&MESSAGE=SUCCESS and there are blobs in all three files, then yes.
    2009-09-18 12:22 AM
    Check the files. They should contain blob information.

Return to the blog often. I'll be posting my tinytss there which you can use with those shsh files to perform an offline restore
    2009-09-18 12:31 AM
    xsemaphorex, you're a ******* genius,

Would it be possible to do the same thing for 3.0.1? I know it really doesn't matter, but for some reason it bothers me that I can't go from 3.0 to 3.0.1.
    2009-09-18 01:27 AM

The Firmware Umbrella

This is the blog i set up for md5 and the only official download link for the tool.

Thanks xsemaphorex.... you frickin rock!

So that said. I just want to make sure I understand your readme when you say that the ECID has to be in hex. Isn't it already? For example, mine from System Profiler or from USBView looks like:

00000160AA128D5E (modified obviously).

Does that suffice?

Thanks again for all your work.
    2009-09-18 01:40 AM
    will this work on a 3gs 3.0
    2009-09-18 01:52 AM
    will this work on a 3gs 3.0
    yah it doesn't rely on your phone at all... you just need to get the ECID from your phone, then you can unplug it and run this.
    2009-09-18 02:12 AM
    In answer to a couple questions above:

Keep checking the blog. I'll be updating the app to grab the 3.0.x blobs that saurik, SO KINDLY, saved for us!

All thanks to Saurik for this forward and innovative thinking.

I don't do this to circumvent saurik in any way. You should definitely allow saurik to 'make your life easier'. I only do this so that our personal blobs are saved on our local machines so that in case of some form of disaster (dmca/attack against saurik/whatever) this makes the concept viral enough that no one can stop it.

And once I put the finishing touches on TinyTSS everyone will have the ability to run their own TSS cache server on their own personal machines. Then they can turn off their internet or disconnect their machine and perform an offline restore of 3.1 whenever they dang well feel like it. (or 3.0.x if they have the blobs for it)
    2009-09-18 02:17 AM
    Offline restores would be great if my phone didn't require activation everytime I restore it
    2009-09-18 02:23 AM
    And once I put the finishing touches on TinyTSS everyone will have the ability to run their own TSS cache server on their own personal machines. Then they can turn off their internet or disconnect their machine and perform an offline restore of 3.1 whenever they dang well feel like it. (or 3.0.x if they have the blobs for it)
    What you mine with (or 3.0.x if they have the blobs for it). I have a 3GS with 3.0.1 but it hang on the apple logo, i cant boot. I grab my ECID via iRecovery, is there any light on the tunnel to restore 3.0.1? if yes, you would be my heroe and i donate you 10 bucks.
    2009-09-18 02:53 AM
    @Syndia your only hope is that saurik captured your ecid shsh files when the small windows was open for him to do so.

Otherwise you will have to wait for a hacked ipsw and pray you can upgrade to 3.1 using IT.

Just do NOT use the official apple ipsw restores!!!!!
    2009-09-18 03:01 AM
    can you give me an example of what the ECID should look when running your umbrella command? Like how many digits should it be?

Thanks!
    2009-09-18 03:27 AM
    Quick question for xsemaphorex. On your blog post, and in the readme file, you mention taking saurik's server out of our hosts file. Does it matter what IP address we point the gs.apple.com url at? And is it a permanent thing, or just for capturing our own hashes, or just for restoring in the future.

I'm still thinking this is all WAAAAAY above my head as I have 0 experience with anything like this.
    2009-09-18 05:57 AM
    I don't see the source code. Am I missing something?
    2009-09-18 07:16 AM
    @Syndia your only hope is that saurik captured your ecid shsh files when the small windows was open for him to do so.

Otherwise you will have to wait for a hacked ipsw and pray you can upgrade to 3.1 using IT.

Just do NOT use the official apple ipsw restores!!!!!
    Yes you right, but i cant wait some weeks for Jailbreak, i need my phone. Its a very stupid situation for me.
    2009-09-18 08:14 AM

The Firmware Umbrella

Im confused, is this a other way of grabbing your ECID blobs? So isnt saving it to Saurik's server the only way?

Also it says its for 3.1 but can it be used with FW 3.0? And how do i run it? Just open the grabbber while I restore to 3.0, but it will still contact Apple's server then isnt it?

Please someone answer my questions, im really confused
    2009-09-18 11:23 AM
    To sum up a few of the questions I've just read.

1. If you plan on using this to obtain your 3.1 ecid shsh files, comment out the line in your /etc/hosts or %WINDOWS%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file where you point to sauriks machine in place of "gs.apple.com". You can do this by placing # in front of saurik's ip address. I only say this because I don't want to presume to use saurik's machine as a proxy. If saurik is ok with people using this tiny program pointing at his machine, then great. But he's busy and I'd rather not assume. So, in the meantime, change your hosts file when you want to use this.

Note: I know it points to apple if you comment out that line; that is the intention. This little app has nothing to do with a restore. All it does is sends the challenge requests to apple and stores the responses. _THAT_ _IS_ _ALL_. It will not upgrade your phone to 3.1. It will not store your 3.0 hashes (NO ONE CAN ANYMORE).

2. The source is in the zip file under the conveniently named directory "src". To be frank, the code is in java; quite possibly the most self-documenting language that exists today. You should be able to go from "No Clue" to "Competent" in about 18 minutes.

3. The whole point of this app is for a few reasons.

a) I was one of the lucky few that bought a 3gs with 3.1 on it. I had no choice when it came to saurik's ecid shsh capture.

b) Some folks missed it by sheer dumb unluck and are now on 3.0.x with no saved ecid shsh files _anywhere_.

c) Some people were just ignorant and updated their phones without understanding the ramifications.

In all three of these cases, there are folks that are now ON 3.1 OR do not have ANY ecid shsh files ANYWHERE. This app is for them (or anyone that wants to safely store their OWN PERSONAL ecid shsh files).

If you don't understand what ecid shsh files are, go read saurik's amazing post. It is on his site titled "Caching Apple's Signature Server".

Saurik was kind enough to save the files for many people for 3.0 and 3.0.1. For this we all owe him a boon of thanks.

As his goal is a centralized repository of ecid shsh files, my goal is to build upon that by giving all people the ability to store their own ecid shsh files and give them a tiny tool that they can run which will READ those files and, while running, allow you to perform a restore to 3.1 forever -- meaning apple cannot deny you the downgrade to 3.1 when 3.1.x or 3.2 comes out.

Let me restate that. Apple can stop you from going to 3.1 when they release their next OS (whether its 3.1.x or 3.2 or 4.0). This app will store the necessary data that, when used with my TinyTSS app, will allow iTunes to restore the firmware associated with the ecid shsh files you saved (3.1 currently).

This won't help you downgrade to 3.0 or 3.0.x... yet. I am adding functionality that will allow folks to politely query saurik's server as if they were performing a 3.0.x restore. Since saurik's machine is acting as a TSS server itself, there is no reason why my app cannot point to his and store the ecid shsh files he has store for you. Of course, if he wasn't able to store your ecid shsh files for 3.0 or 3.0.1, you won't get anything back. Sorry, tough luck.

So. Nutshell.

Saurik is an innovator that I respect. If you have questions about the app, check the blog frequently. I updated it about 15 times yesterday.
    2009-09-18 12:10 PM
    Thank you man
    You are great
    Now i have two question

I downloaded files from purplera1n.com mounth ago entering my ECID number
    Can i use them to restore 3.0?
    Any suggestions of using this files downloaded from geohot site are welcome

Can i use your tool to cache the SHSH files on the saurik server using host file?
    I am using 3.0 and cannot cache the files for 3.1 from cydia
    There is nothing like "make your life easy" on the welcome page of cydia app
    And i cannot restore to 3.1 using iTunes because there is no unlock solution for now
    So i cannot cache the files on saurik server at all using standart methods.

Please help us and thanks
    Last edited by iph; 2009-09-18 at 02:14 PM.
    2009-09-18 01:59 PM
    if i do this when your able to grab old blobs 3.0 from sauriks server this means i can restore from 3.0 to 3.01 offline if i wish not to go to 3.1 this is neat tool man cheers.
    2009-09-18 02:03 PM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD