I just re-read that myself and I know it sounds dumb but I paid to get a factory unlocked iphone and the whole point was to use a 'no holds barred' iphone so i just want to be really careful - you can never be too careful
    Jailbreak isn't dependant on the baseband, the unlock is.
    You can safely update to 3.1 now, and then jailbreak later (when it's released).

Hope this helps
    Last edited by iGuru; 2009-10-02 at 01:10 AM.
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)
    2009-10-02 01:07 AM
    the purpose of the blobs is this: all 3 fimwares available for the 3GS can be jailbroken. the blobs ensure you can restore to those firmwares should Apple stop signing them and not allow you to use them. (save a 3.0 blob = you can go back to 3.0 at any time. etc, etc.)

if you are forced to upgrade (after getting your blobs) you can still go back to an older firmware (that you have the blobs for)

there is no telling if future Firmwares can be jailbroken or unlocked. being able to use old ones, ensures many happy years of Jailbroken goodness.(despite Apple's determination to stop our fun with OUR phones)
    Last edited by Madman604x; 2009-10-02 at 01:11 AM.
    2009-10-02 01:09 AM
    Hey guys

I just got my ECID with iRecovery and got the shsh file to my desktop

its about a 63-64kb file.

I'm not too sure if i even needed this but hey, another thing learned!!

Too late to do any upgrading now, gna hit the hay and come back to this tomorrow afternoon

Once again, many thanks you guys for your time & help.

Much Appreciated

Night
    2009-10-02 01:42 AM
    hey all!

OK so I was foolishly playing around with my iPhone 3GS v. 3.0 in iPhonebrowser trying to edit themes and I accidentally deleted something (obviously) important because my iPhone stopped working. It's been stuck at the Apple logo ever since. I fixed all the stuff I changed in iPhonebrowser, but the phone is still stuck at the logo. I immediately went to iTunes hoping to restore my phone and, aghast, I can't do it. After a few hours of trying various things, including everything in this thread I've finally given up and am asking for help! Before all this went down, I chose to have Cydia store my shiz on it's server (running 3.0). And for a few weeks since then my Cydia homepage showed that my iPhone 3GS had its stuff saved on the server. However, when I follow the instructions on page one, all I come up with is the shsh for 3.1. Any idea what may be causing the problem in getting the 3.0 one? Also, any idea what else I can do to help in this situation. Unlock is important to me, which is why installing 3.1 is out of the question atm.

hope to get some help! thanks for all the hard work.
    2009-10-02 04:53 AM
    didi you save your ECID infor before 3.1 was released?
    2009-10-02 05:17 AM
    didi you save your ECID infor before 3.1 was released?
    yep, much before. I saved my ECID around the same time Saurik started the service through Cydia.
    2009-10-02 06:01 AM
    to find out what Cydia REALLY has stored, run tinytss and point it to the cydia server. it will resopond with
    "NOTE: 3.0 blobs found!" somewhere in the text.
    that means you DO have 3.0 saved. if its something else, your kinda hooped and cydia made a booboo.

due probably to too much demand, some people didnt get stored, despite being told so by Cydia

Last edited by Madman604x; 2009-10-02 at 06:35 AM.
    2009-10-02 06:33 AM
    ^^umbrella gets the files from saurik's server....TinyTSS requires the file to be on your computer. It is a server.
    2009-10-02 06:47 AM
    Thanks iGuru,
    I lost my 3.0 FW somehow, and Apple won't let me restore back, instead pushing me towards 3.1, however I didn't upgraded. While searching for the solution I found the "Saurik method" and it did worked as my Ecid SHSH 3.0 was on file with cydia.
    Now my iphone is back on life with 3.0, jailbroken and unlocked.
    2009-10-02 08:45 AM
    to find out what Cydia REALLY has stored, run tinytss and point it to the cydia server. it will resopond with
    "NOTE: 3.0 blobs found!" somewhere in the text.
    that means you DO have 3.0 saved. if its something else, your kinda hooped and cydia made a booboo.

due probably to too much demand, some people didnt get stored, despite being told so by Cydia

ah ok. by point it to the cydia server do you mean following the instructions on page 1 and using umbrella to get an shsh file and then using tinytss? when I do that, umbrella gets a 3.1 shsh and tinytss tells me that I have a 3.1 saved. That's where the confusion comes in again. Looks like I was just one of those unlucky ones that weren't properly processed by Saurik's server.

^^umbrella gets the files from saurik's server....TinyTSS requires the file to be on your computer. It is a server.
    that's exactly what I did. I'm hoping there's some other way to do it which is what madman meant by point tinytss to the cydia server

Thanks iGuru,
    I lost my 3.0 FW somehow, and Apple won't let me restore back, instead pushing me towards 3.1, however I didn't upgraded. While searching for the solution I found the "Saurik method" and it did worked as my Ecid SHSH 3.0 was on file with cydia.
    Now my iphone is back on life with 3.0, jailbroken and unlocked.
    that's great! consider yourself quite lucky my friend
    Last edited by teknikad; 2009-10-02 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-10-02 04:55 PM
    Ok.

I've updated TinyTSS and Umbrella.

I'd like to thank iGuru for his unrelenting help with answering all of your questions. Without him, *I* would have to actually answer questions about the apps I wrote. (Yes contrary to popular belief... iGuru did not write TinyTSS and Umbrella)

The newest version if umbrella now sports a built-in gui (just double click on the Umbrella application (mac) or umbrella.exe (windows) and off you go.

TinyTSS is still a command line tool simply cuz I haven't changed it - (cuz none of you deadbeats have donated to inspire me to make that change - kidding)

2009-10-02 10:20 PM
    Ok.

I'd like to thank iGuru for his unrelenting help with answering all of your questions. Without him, *I* would have to actually answer questions about the apps I wrote. (Yes contrary to popular belief... iGuru did not write TinyTSS and Umbrella *I* did)

The newest version if umbrella now sports a built-in gui (just double click on the Umbrella application (mac) or umbrella.exe (windows) and off you go.

TinyTSS is still a command line tool simply cuz I haven't changed it - (cuz none of you deadbeats have donated to inspire me to make that change - kidding)

Cheers mate - Will be updating the guide just as soon as i've got Java on my PC - Installed Windows 7 earlier today and hadn't gotten round to it yet. And yay - no more need for my thrown together GUI

Thanks again for all the work you've put into Umbrella & TinyTSS!

Edit: Guide updated for the new version of Umbrella & TinyTSS
    Last edited by iGuru; 2009-10-02 at 11:03 PM.
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)
    2009-10-02 10:22 PM
    First of all, I would like to apologize if the following question or concern was already asked and answered. I'm a little slow with this and I've already read tons of posts on this thread and am still somehow confused.
    I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS 3.0.1. via RedSn0w (Mac) with AT&T Carrier. I just got my iPhone jailbroken like a week ago. So that means I've missed to saved my 3.0 or 3.0.1 ECID SHSH file via Cydia. I only have 3.1 ECID SHSH file now on Cydia. I want to know if I can still ever create a back up of my 3.0.1 ECID SHSH file so if I try to jailbreak 3.1 and get messed up on the process, I would still be able to go back to 3.0.1 or 3.0. and be able to jailbreak. Basically, can I use the method from first post (updated as of 10/2/09 05:01 PM by iGuru) to create a back up of my 3.0.1 ECID SHSH file?
    2009-10-03 07:34 AM
    ^^ no you cannot. if you didn't get them saved in the short window when it was available, then you cannot get them. And without them you cannot go back to that firmware
    2009-10-03 09:03 AM
    I did the second restore but now I'm stuck in recovery mode and it keeps prompting me to restore and update. I did the restore for a third time with the same results(An unknown error occurred (1015). I've tried the restore and update option but now I get "error 3001" and my iphone doesn't work at all, just recovery mode. What should I do now?
    Last edited by kbcox0327; 2009-10-04 at 07:43 AM.
    2009-10-04 07:33 AM
    Exuse iGuru,
    I'm writing from europe (italy) and have a trouble with umbrella.jar. It make to me only file shsh of 41kb.
    What i can do? May I fix this file? If the answere is yes: how I can do?
    Thank you
    jeff
    2009-10-04 04:45 PM
    Hey guys

FOllowed instructions so far. got the 3.0 SHSh from (cydia-saurik) repository)

My problem is the host file. Edited and saved host to (127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com) but when ever I pinged im not getting 127.0.0.1.
    I'm getting "pinging gs.apple.com.akadns.net(diff ip address) with 32 bytes of data"
    Any ideas? greatly apprecialted.(using windows)
    2009-10-05 12:40 AM
    Ok.

I'd like to thank iGuru for his unrelenting help with answering all of your questions. Without him, *I* would have to actually answer questions about the apps I wrote. (Yes contrary to popular belief... iGuru did not write TinyTSS and Umbrella)

Hi, great work on creating these tools. I'm glad I'm in control of my own destiny now as far as restores.

Quick question for you though, should TinyTSS and Umbrella work together properly?

(I am writing an iBEC/iBSS -> SHSH file converter, and I am trying to test it. I assumed that I should be able to make Umbrella 'dogfood' the SHSH files it outputs using TinyTSS as a way to test this stuff. See: http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...d-my-ecid.html for related discussion of my developing this tool.)

[This is a partial repost from that thread]

I'm having some problems with TinyTSS... I am trying to make Umbrella fetch an 00.SHSH from TinyTSS and its throwing me an error no matter what...

Not just with files I generate, but also with 3.1 SHSH files I obtained from Apple and/or Saurik. Umbrella only generates 39KB when reading from TinyTSS, but the normal 64KB is fetched reading from Apple and/or Saurik.

The error is this:

Code:
    Oct 4, 2009 7:00:49 PM com.semaphore.TinyTSS run
    INFO: ***Request***
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at com.semaphore.TinyTSS.parseRequest(TinyTSS.java:336)
            at com.semaphore.TinyTSS.run(TinyTSS.java:315)
    Oct 4, 2009 7:00:49 PM com.semaphore.TinyTSS run
    INFO: Successfully wrote blob response
    I'm not a Java guy so I'm not exactly sure what is going on here... im wondering if the TinyTSS server is dependent on the order in which iTunes asks for the various items, and Umbrella does not ask for them in that order... I haven't tried this with iTunes yet, because I am trying not to brick my phone, lol.
    2009-10-05 01:30 AM
    im getting error 3014 can anybody help
    2009-10-05 03:30 AM
    First off, iGuru, you have the patience of a saint. Thank you very much. I got my ECID with USBView, ran umbrella and got my 3.0 and 3.1 shsh files from Saurik's server. (I was one of the lucky 50k who hit "Make my life easier" without even really knowing what it it was...I'm not usually that lucky...) Now I'm trying to run TinyTSS but get the following errors:
    #641853 - Pastie

I'm sure it's something simple and it's not pressing as I am good on 3.0 right now. I just wanted to get everything set up *before* I ever need it.

Thanks
    2009-10-05 04:20 AM
678 ... 8161718192028 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD