wew, ive read this thread and my head hurts! heheh.. i think this is for the advance users, but i do manage to jailbreak my iphone 3gs using blackra1n and yes i know that blackra1n is the easiest way to jailbreak my ipone to 3.1.2, hehehe, good for us noobs ^_^ But knowing that blackra1n has some issues when rebooting (whenever it reboots its stuck in recovery mode with a "usb cable and itunes logo" thing) ive become desperate in downgrading my 3.1.2 to a lower version, which ive heard is more stable and has no problems. To sum it up, i think this thread is the most helpful way to downgrade to a lower version but i have to accept the fact that im only a noob and cant manage to do this things on the thread, its way to complicated for me.. hehe...

i post this reply to take the oppurtunity to ask all the advance users in this community this questions.

"Will I be expecting the DEV TEAM to make the 3.1.2 stable? or will i get stucked using a 3.1.2 with rebooting problems?"
    Last edited by mryn; 2009-12-30 at 05:25 AM.
    2009-12-30 05:21 AM
    You can only downgrade to a firmware version that your phone has already had installed and has been cached by Saurik's server. If you did absolutely nothing with jailbreaking before upgrading to the official 3.1.2, then that's as low as you will ever be able to downgrade.

Furthermore, the issue you're describing, known as a "tethered jailbreak" in which you have to re-run Blackra1n every time the phone reboots, is specific to your hardware, not the OS version. The fact is that certain later iPhone 3G[S] models, and most (all?) iPod Touch 3rd Gen models, don't have the same exploit used in earlier hardware revisions, so the tethered jailbreak is as far as people have managed to get so far. Geohot apparently believes that a non-tethered jailbreak is possible, as he offered to spend the time to get it working if people helped him win the DARPA balloon challenge, but this did not happen so he has not spent the time to figure it out yet. As for the Dev Team, I honestly don't really know what they're working on at the moment, if anything.

At the moment, your best solution is to simply never let your phone die. If it does, you'll need to connect it to a computer and run blackra1n again to bootup properly. Other than that, the only foreseeable reason for rebooting would be to install certain jailbreak applications that must be run upon bootup (I think Winterboard is one, as is afc2add). Hopefully you should then only ever need to put the phone in sleep mode or simply restart Springboard (easily doable through SBSettings) without actually rebooting the entire device.
    2009-12-30 08:10 AM
    ok I can be incredibly dense, but I think I've finally settled in my mind the following:

1.) you can use this ECID/.shsh system to downgrade a device only to the level that you've stored a signature. (if you've stored a 3.0 you can downgrade to 3.0, if you have a 3.1 you can downgrade to 3.1, etc... )
    2.) when downgrading you can only downgrade to an official apple .ipsw (ie: you can't build a custom pwnage .ipsw and expect to downgrade directly to that using this ECID/shsh system)
    3.) theoretically the .ipsw you downgrade to can be jailbroken... which once you've downgraded you then jailbreak.

Question...

does this work on a 2nd Gen iPod Touch running 3.1.2??
    I have a device that is NOT jailbroken...
    I updated to 3.1.2.
    I captured the ECID and downloaded the ~70K Apple .shsh file.
    I've run TinyTSS, changed my hosts file, and tried to use option/restore in iTunes to try and restore to 3.1.2 (just to prove it works) and it hangs. I've tried DFU mode and it hangs...
    If I comment out the 127.0.0.1 in my hosts file and do a restore (not option restore) via Apple it works?!

Am I still missing something? is this suppose to work on a 2nd Gen iPod Touch?
    I understand that I have a device at 3.1.2 and I'm trying to restore it to 3.1.2, but this is just an attempt to verify that this system works for me...

so far it doesn't
    2010-01-26 07:00 PM
    ok I can be incredibly dense, but I think I've finally settled in my mind the following:

1.) you can use this ECID/.shsh system to downgrade a device only to the level that you've stored a signature. (if you've stored a 3.0 you can downgrade to 3.0, if you have a 3.1 you can downgrade to 3.1, etc... )
    2.) when downgrading you can only downgrade to an official apple .ipsw (ie: you can't build a custom pwnage .ipsw and expect to downgrade directly to that using this ECID/shsh system)
    3.) theoretically the .ipsw you downgrade to can be jailbroken... which once you've downgraded you then jailbreak.

Question...

does this work on a 2nd Gen iPod Touch running 3.1.2??
    I have a device that is NOT jailbroken...
    I updated to 3.1.2.
    I captured the ECID and downloaded the ~70K Apple .shsh file.
    I've run TinyTSS, changed my hosts file, and tried to use option/restore in iTunes to try and restore to 3.1.2 (just to prove it works) and it hangs. I've tried DFU mode and it hangs...
    If I comment out the 127.0.0.1 in my hosts file and do a restore (not option restore) via Apple it works?!

Am I still missing something? is this suppose to work on a 2nd Gen iPod Touch?
    I understand that I have a device at 3.1.2 and I'm trying to restore it to 3.1.2, but this is just an attempt to verify that this system works for me...

so far it doesn't
    If you have a true 2G Touch (Not the almost identical 8GB 3G Touch) you don't need signatures, blobs. tinyTSS, or any of the other stuff in this thread. You can up/downgrade at will. I took mine from 2.1.1 up to 3.1.2 with a stop at every version in between and back again, just to make sure it was possible. You just have to use DFU mode to restore to a lower firmware version than currently installed.

This .shsh system is for 3G[S] phones and (maybe?) 3G Touches.
    2010-01-30 03:32 PM
    I am experiencing the same issue as pebbleleader except I am using a 3GS not an iPod. I have already saved my 3.1.2 SHSH file for my 3GS and I have started TinyTSS and pointed my hosts file to 127.0.0.1 Everything checks out OK when I ping from the command prompt etc. When I try to restore in iTunes everything shows good in the TinyTSS window, iTunes shows that it is verifying the restore and then I hear my computer make the DEVICE UNPLUGGED sound and that's it. After sitting there for a little while longer iTunes eventually fails resulting in a ERROR 1601. It doesn't even get past the verifying restore etc.

Like I said though I can hear my computer make the DEVICE UNPLUGGED sound just as if I were to unplug my phone from the computer but then it doesn't connect back. I have tried Two different computers and 4 different versions of iTunes as well as one computer on XP and one on Windows 7. Both do the EXACT same thing.

If I point my hosts file to sauriks server then iTunes restores my 3GS just fine so apparently the issue has to be related to TinyTSS or something of the sort.

Any ideas?
    2010-02-03 08:41 AM
    hi, i want to save my shsh file ( i have a iphone 3gs 3.1.2 ) but what for repo should i take for umbrella? i get allways a error " could not get your ECID shsh for that model"
    plz help i want only save my files
    2010-02-03 06:37 PM
    Your too late, Crapple has STOPPED signing 3.1.2 FW today.
    2010-02-04 01:47 AM
    so what can we do now, cause i bought a 3gs yesterday and i tried to get a 3.1.2 signed but no way... wtf apple... is there a way to explain to apple that we need 3.1.2 cause the 3.1.3 has a failure or something like that?!
    2010-02-04 08:10 AM
    just to be sure guy

i've got my shsh on ecid on file in cydia but i want to edit my hosts file for futur purpose if my iphone goes wrong.

i want to know what is supposed to show on CMD.

I enter the following line.

#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com with the # and when i run CMD it say to me.... pinging gs.apple.com bla bla bla

But i do what it say on the first page with 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com in another line and in CMD it seem to ping but not have any response.

Do i have to put # in the seond line too to give me that dns ?? gs.apple.com.akadns.net??

Sorry for my english i'M french so i'm trying the best i can.
    2010-02-04 03:25 PM
    My phone completely froze yesterday, to make matters worse I had a virus on my PC about a week ago (unrelated) and did a system restore on my PC. I hadn't synced my phone to iTunes yet, so when it died yesterday I did a complete restore to 3.1.3 not realizing the consequences. Was previously running a jailbroken 3.1.2. Anyway, I've followed all the instructions and retrieved my SHSH file for 3.1.2 from Caurik and setup the local server and host files correctly. I pinged gs.apple.com and got 127.0.0.1 I open tinytss and attempt to restore to 3.1.2 in itunes but right after it tries to verify with apple I get error 2005 and it stops. The cmd window for tinytss does a bunch of stuff and it looks like it is working properly. Tried 3 times, same result. Any ideas? Or is it just not possible now?
    2010-02-04 04:27 PM
    Hobbes. When you get hung up at the error try to jailbreak right then by running blackrain and see what happens

Also if your iPhone crashes out and you are forced to restore. Why could you just do the hosts file edit first then when you restore iTunes will use the sh that saurik has for you?
    Last edited by andyharp; 2010-02-04 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-02-04 06:36 PM
    Saurik's instructions did not work for me, whole process goes according to plan then at the very end itunes says something about the build being wrong for the device. I do however sucesfully downgrade using the guide on redmond pie and the phone in the about screen shows firmware is 3.1.2 however i cannot conect to the att network and place calls, so i run a restore/update back to 3.1.3 and the phone works but is lame cause it's not jailbroken with all my cydia apps i paid for!!!
    2010-02-04 07:39 PM
    I have the same problem as Hobbes. Mine is 3gs 3.1.3 version. I get the message on itunes saying that it can not connect to the saver. I have got the shsh file from sauriks, i have done exactly what it says on the first post. pinging 127.0.0.1 worked fine.
    I just wonder whether apple change the settings on itunes so that it would not bypass their server by changing host file.

does someone have a solution for this please?

I am running wndows 7 will that be the cause of this problem?

thank you very much

Hobbes. When you get hung up at the error try to jailbreak right then by running blackrain and see what happens

Also if your iPhone crashes out and you are forced to restore. Why could you just do the hosts file edit first then when you restore iTunes will use the sh that saurik has for you?
    i did it few times but nothing happened
    Last edited by alositha; 2010-02-05 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-02-05 01:09 AM
    i m trying to restore my 3GS to factory default n tried the method in page 1 but cannot work. below is the error message. anyone can help?

Last edited by foccacia; 2010-02-05 at 07:31 AM.
    2010-02-05 07:27 AM
    I tried choosing Apple, Cydia and localhost for the SHSH Repository but it keeps saying "Could not get your ECID SHSH for that model/version. sorry." Can someone tell me what Im doing wrong?
    2010-02-06 03:28 AM
    I tried choosing Apple, Cydia and localhost for the SHSH Repository but it keeps saying "Could not get your ECID SHSH for that model/version. sorry." Can someone tell me what Im doing wrong?
    maybe ur ECID is wrong?
    2010-02-06 04:00 AM
    maybe ur ECID is wrong?
    Mabey but I am not 100% sure that I pressed "make my life easier" on Cydia so that may be the problem. I dont remeber doing but mabey I could have I just cant remeber but I did a "full upgrade" on Cydia a few weeks back after restoring my iphone so could that have saved my ECID SHSH in the Cydia database by itself while it was updating or was it required by me to do it by myself?
    2010-02-06 04:36 AM
    This was perfect! I thought my iphone was doomed! lol. I'm on 3.1.2 and my iphone suddenly crashed with the apple logo freeze. Wasn't until then i found out apple stopped verifying 3.1.2 restores which was a slap in the face.. good thing i found this thread and followed it to the T. Thanks for the perfect explanations on how to get it done right in one run. Worked like a charm. Sure made me appreciate seeing my phone boot up again lol! Owe you big time!

My advice to anyone out there would be to go ahead and try this method even if you're not sure whether or not 'saurik-cydia' has your 'ECID SHSH' file backed up. I went into this knowing i never clicked the 'make your life easier' link and yet my SHSH was still backed up. Just goes to show how good these guys are at what they do. Auto-save FTW! haha thanks guys, keep it up!

btw, i just now registered my modmyi account just to thank iGuru for his efforts. haha after saving my phone, that's the least i could do. Thumbs up bud. you get a standing ovation from me.:D

iPhone 3GS 3.1.2
    Last edited by Suqdeez; 2010-02-06 at 07:04 AM.
    2010-02-06 06:55 AM
    I have a 3GS and I believe the SHSH was backed up on Cydia... but I keep getting this error "No such file or directory" when trying to run (cd Desktop/fw-umbrella-semaphore) ...in terminal.

Any help would be appreciated...
    Attached Thumbnails [Howto] Setup local 3GS restore verification server (ECID SHSH)-screen-shot-2010-02-06-1.02.50-am.png   [Howto] Setup local 3GS restore verification server (ECID SHSH)-screen-shot-2010-02-06-1.03.00-am.png  
    2010-02-06 09:04 AM
    I have a 3GS and I believe the SHSH was backed up on Cydia... but I keep getting this error "No such file or directory" when trying to run (cd Desktop/fw-umbrella-semaphore) ...in terminal.

Any help would be appreciated...
    Is the folder named 'fw-umbrella-semaphore' exactly that way on your desktop, or is it named something like 'fw-umbrella-semaphore-220-1'? Mine extracted as the latter. If that is the case, either rename the folder (just remove the extra parts of the name) or type the whole folder name when doing the cd command.
    2010-02-06 01:50 PM
678 ... 162425262728 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD