Ok, I've spent a bunch of time trying to figure this out for myself and it's driving me nuts, I can't find a solution - I need an answer.

Bought a 3G[S] at launch. (3.0 fw)
    Jailbroken asap.
    I captured my iBSS and iBEC files as per the advice of the devteam.
    Time passes.
    I update to 3.1.

I don't know if my ECID is "on file" or not. When I tried the following guide it just said I was unable to update [or something along those lines]:
    Downgrade iPhone Firmware 3.1 to 3.0

I think I changed my itunes host thing correctly, but still got a nondescript error.
    I did NOT get "unknown error (3002)"

Do I have any chance at downgrading?

When I read about the iBSS/iBEC capturing I felt as though they were saying, "hey, it doesn't matter what you do from here out as long as you have these files" and then I read about 3.1 and that ultrasn0w wouldn't work [which I don't need] and I thought it was safe to update. I guess I need to read things more thoroughly.

Other details:
    I don't need an unlock.
    I run windows, but I do have access to my roommates mbp.
    I have already created a custom 3.1 ipsw, not that it means anything.
    Last edited by jordan.marchetto; 2009-10-06 at 04:00 AM. Reason: additional details
    2009-10-06 03:58 AM
    From the info you gave us, I don't think you have file with Cydia, which means you won't be able to downgrade thru the route.

But there could still be a lifeline for you, check this thread out

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...s-folders.html

See if you can work something out from that. Good luck
    2009-10-06 04:04 AM
    Is there another way to check if I have the file on Cydia? Everything I've seen is "open cydia" which I obviously can't do.
    2009-10-06 04:10 AM
    You would have had to manually choose cydia to backup your file. You dont remember if you did that or not?
    2009-10-06 04:16 AM
    I did not do that. Hopefully that other tool will work. I'm trying now.
    2009-10-06 04:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD