User Tag List

I have most of the instructions and downloads, but I can not seem to find my /etc/hosts file. Is it in Terminal? When I go into Terminal and enter /etc/hosts it says " permission denied"

I keep failing at restore with the error codes others are getting.

I also can not seem to enter: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" in Terminal.

Is there a tutorial?
    2009-10-06 03:03 AM
    Go to system prefs... accounts... login options.. network account server (join)... open directory utility.. Edit (tool bar)... enable root access.

Open terminal. Type su... then enter your password. Then type pico /etc/hosts [enter]... then add74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com to the last line and hit [cntrl] + [O] to save the file.

I had a hard time figuring this out to so don't feel bad
    2009-10-06 03:14 AM
    I have most of the instructions and downloads, but I can not seem to find my /etc/hosts file. Is it in Terminal? When I go into Terminal and enter /etc/hosts it says " permission denied"

I keep failing at restore with the error codes others are getting.

I also can not seem to enter: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" in Terminal.

Is there a tutorial?
    Thank you Poseidon. Your advise and instructions were great. It work. Thank you so much.
    2009-10-06 04:04 AM
    you can also download Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler- gives the same access to those files, a bit more pleasing to the ey3.
    2009-10-06 04:53 AM
    Easier way to find hosts file, In finder, press shift-command-G then enter /etc in the box that pops up. select the hosts file and double click on it (open in text editor). make the changes and save it. You may have to change the permissions on teh file to read and write in order to save the changes. No terminal needed.
    2009-10-06 03:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD