AHHHH...Had 3.0.1 jail broken and was perfectly happy until I saw 3.1 was finally ready...so I took the step.

I saw 3.1.2 and I know better than to upgrade, but downloaded the firmware using the link so I could put it in my Iphone firmware folder....

Well, being on Windows I can not use Pwnage to get a custom boot logo..So, all night last night I was trying to alter the applelogoblahblah.img3 file directly and trying to restore to get a custom boot logo..

I finished another potential custom boot logo firmware and was attempting to try it when I didn't realize I clicked the 3.1.2 firmware to restore...I was happy when it went through, but pissed when I realized what I did.

I had my ECID saved in Cydia's server and tried to downgrade to 3.0....NOPE! I guess the upgrade to the baseband wasn't having that....I have been a huge fan of the iPhone, as long as it is jailbroken...but this sucks! If they do not find an exploit soon, My Iphone 3Gs 32 gig is going on Ebay and I'll gladly pay the early termination fee...out of the 700-800 it fetches on Ebay and find another Smart phone...

Anyone know of anything else I can try?

I tried purpleraIn and got the ECID number, but it crashes when I open the program to jailbreak it..Saw the Twitter page saying it was jailbroken, but assuming it is like Pwnage and only works on currently jailbroken phones....if you have any suggestions I am open to them...Meanwhile, I will stare at my phone in disgust cursing Steve Jobs!
    Still a bit fresh at this...and will evolve to FRESH in a Bel Air type of way!
    2009-10-09 06:10 AM
    If your 3.0 shsh is on file you can downgrade back to 3.0 but your baseband will remain the same....I think that you need to run the JB twice because of the bb thing....but damn DONT be so quick to give up......
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy
    2009-10-09 06:15 AM
    Believe me i am still trying...but when I try to restore I get error (6)

If I can get it back to 3.0 I know I am smooth sailing from there, but I am not understanding why Itunes is able to reject the restore if I have it getting the okay from Sauriks site...

Thanks for the motivational words coach....lol
    2009-10-09 06:20 AM
    i cant remember..but there are some good tuts here,find one on downgraning
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy
    2009-10-09 06:28 AM
    I will look...but I downgraded from 3.1 to 3.0 like 10 times last night while I was trying to get the firmware i made to work...but as soon I my phone got 3.1.2 I get error 6 figured the downgrade server was only setup to work with 3.1...but I investigate further...

if anyone knows anything...feel free to drop a tip
    2009-10-09 06:34 AM
    you should be able to downgrade to 3.0....
    Steroids are yummy
    2009-10-09 06:55 AM
    FINALLY!

Confirmed...I went from 3.1.2 back to 3.0, then back to 3.1 and jail broken.

Not simple, but got it figured out. I was downgrading from 3.1 to 3.0 no prob at all.. with no errors in iTunes...

HOWEVER, when I tried to go from 3.1.2 to 3.0, I was getting error 1015. Stuck in restore. So I tried to use redsnow to kick out of recovery by jail breaking and it worked. But I had no signal. Never had that issue being my carrier is AT&T. Tried to run redsnow again, and it didn't work. Tried PurpleRain and it kept freezing.

I upgraded from 3.0 to Original 3.1 and it fixed the signal issue. From there I attempted to restore with a custom 3.1 and got error 20. So I downgraded back down to 3.0 and had no signal again. I ran Redsnow and got an error the first time. Ran it again and it froze. Ran it again and it finished from the point it was at when it froze. From here I restored with custom 3.1 firmware and SUCCESS!

NoTe to those who upgraded to 3.1.2...I do have my ECID registered on the server!

Now all I need is my custom boot logo! Anyone will to help me with that please PM me and I will provide you with my the boot logo...THanks
    2009-10-10 08:20 AM
    FINALLY!

Confirmed...I went from 3.1.2 back to 3.0, then back to 3.1 and jail broken.

Not simple, but got it figured out. I was downgrading from 3.1 to 3.0 no prob at all.. with no errors in iTunes...

HOWEVER, when I tried to go from 3.1.2 to 3.0, I was getting error 1015. Stuck in restore. So I tried to use redsnow to kick out of recovery by jail breaking and it worked. But I had no signal. Never had that issue being my carrier is AT&T. Tried to run redsnow again, and it didn't work. Tried PurpleRain and it kept freezing.

I upgraded from 3.0 to Original 3.1 and it fixed the signal issue. From there I attempted to restore with a custom 3.1 and got error 20. So I downgraded back down to 3.0 and had no signal again. I ran Redsnow and got an error the first time. Ran it again and it froze. Ran it again and it finished from the point it was at when it froze. From here I restored with custom 3.1 firmware and SUCCESS!

NoTe to those who upgraded to 3.1.2...I do have my ECID registered on the server!

Now all I need is my custom boot logo! Anyone will to help me with that please PM me and I will provide you with my the boot logo...THanks
    Wow, so many steps. For a streamline method or if you had to do it again. Whats the smallest amount of steps you could take for success.
    2009-10-10 08:08 PM
    I went from 3.1.2 down to 3.0 just fine, but I didn't have a signal.

If I were to do it again I would downgrade to an official 3.0 firmware.

If no issues with signal, jailbreak @ 3.0. and install custom 3.1 Firmware...

If I had no signal @ 3.0, I would restore to Official 3.1, Put in DFU mode, downgrade back to 3.0..get error 1015 in iTunes. Stuck in restore mode...run redsnow...Redsnow may error, run it again it will pick up where it left off..(took me 3 attempts). Phone should boot to a Jailbroken 3.0. Then restore to your custom 3.1 firmware.

I may have received numerous errors because I have been attempting mods on other projects on my spare PC..Dual Booting Mac/Vista on PC, Xbox 360 mods, PS2 emulator mods, so may have had conflicting plugin and driver issues causing the freezes. It may be easier, but I got it to work after I reformatted my Vista Partition...I do so every couple weeks to make sure I am working with a clean registry with all the various mods I attempt and avoid issues such as this.
    Last edited by MCN; 2009-10-11 at 12:26 AM.
    2009-10-11 12:17 AM
    Wow, so many steps. For a streamline method or if you had to do it again. Whats the smallest amount of steps you could take for success.
    Streamlined as much as it can be

easy steps (Windows)
    Backup phone/apps ets as required
    1. alter hosts file the way he says to in that article
    2. Put phone into DFU mode (black screen)
    3. Shift+Restore to iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
    4. 1015 error, phone automatically put into recovery mode (usb cable/itunes logo)
    5. Shift+Restore to iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw again
    6. 1015 error again, phone still in recovery mode
    7. Close itunes at this point
    8. Hold Home & Sleep buttons for 15 seconds, release home & hold sleep for 2 more seconds
    9. Timing is critical for step 8, if you get put back into recovery mode, repeat step 8. until you get the "Slide for emergency" screen after the apple logo
    10. Open iTunes and let your phone activate
    11. Run redsn0w 0.8 and jailbreak your phone
    12. If you want to go to 3.1, download an UNactivated custom 3.1 firmware with Cydia pre-installed and just shift+restore in itunes (no DFU or recovery mode required on Windows for loading custom 3.1)
    13. Be careful and ensure you trust the source of the custom firmware if you decide to go that route.

Also, if you do load a custom 3.1, if you ever need a restore for any reason in the future, as long as you don't restore to stock, you can just restore to your custom 3.1 No need to ever lose your jailbreak again, just have to deal with the hassle of reconfiguring your phone and getting all your apps back.
    2009-10-11 12:26 AM
    hahaha...all that time and all I had to do was wait 30 seconds for Blackra1n....Oh well
    2009-10-11 01:47 PM
    hahaha...all that time and all I had to do was wait 30 seconds for Blackra1n....Oh well
    BTW - If you still want to go back down to 3.0.X and need assistance, please shoot me a PM and I can help you out. I believe I know what step you may have been having some troubles with and I'm more than happy to assist.

Cheers mate! (and glad you got 3.1.2 running!)
    2009-10-12 01:23 AM
    blackra1n didn't work for me after hours of tinkering :/ but thanks for 3.1.2->3.1 downgrade tut. circuitous but accurate saved me hours of time figuring it out myself
    2009-10-12 04:04 AM
    [QUOTE=nicofiend;4991042]blackra1n didn't work for me after hours of tinkering :/ but thanks for 3.1.2->3.1 downgrade tut. circuitous but accurate saved me hours of time figuring it out myself[/QUOTE

Where do u find that ? please if you have a link or info post it here .
    2009-10-12 04:50 AM
    blackra1n JB failure COMPUTER SPECIFIC! got it to work!
    2009-10-12 05:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD