User Tag List

Hi there

I'm sure that there are many people out there like me who sees no compelling reason to go through the hassle of using the new Pwnage Tool and re-installing everything. My main reason is that 3.1 has been widely reported as an unstable/buggy update. I believe that 3.1.2 seems to work much better though. But(Question 1) is it as smooth as the 3.0.x???? (L00i3, u have tested all three fws, what do you think?)

On the flipside, compatibility issue with some new released apps that won't install on 3.0.1, like Layar and DROPBOX(!) does lure me to do the JB 3.1.2, rather sooner than later. But before i do this, could someone clarify the following issues:
    Question 2: In case I procrastinate somewhat longer, and Apple releases 3.2 and stops signing 3.1.x, does this mean I can no longer UPgrade to 3.1 as my current fw is 3.0.1?
    I do have my 3.1 SHSH on-file (saurik and local stored). But I believe that they are only good for a DOWNgrade.

Question 3: For future JBs, since 3.1 is known as buggy, and I only have my 3.1 SHSH blob on-file on saurik's server. When apple stops signing 3.1.x fw, how can I go from 3.1 to 3.1.2?

It is a long post, isnt it? Sorry!
    2009-10-19 02:31 PM
    With a custom 3.1.2 firmware, Apple does NOT verify the restore with the Apple server. Therefore, you can go back to the custom 3.1.2 anytime u decide to. So apply can stop signing all they want, its not gonna stop u from putting a custom firmware on the phone.
    2009-10-19 02:57 PM
    Hi there

I'm sure that there are many people out there like me who sees no compelling reason to go through the hassle of using the new Pwnage Tool and re-installing everything. My main reason is that 3.1 has been widely reported as an unstable/buggy update. I believe that 3.1.2 seems to work much better though. But(Question 1) is it as smooth as the 3.0.x???? (L00i3, u have tested all three fws, what do you think?)
    Honestly, I have been lucky. I have never had any issues with any of the 4 firmware versions I have had on my phone. One time I thought I might have had a battery issue, so when I got home from work I just restored and setup as a new phone.

On the flipside, compatibility issue with some new released apps that won't install on 3.0.1, like Layar and DROPBOX(!) does lure me to do the JB 3.1.2, rather sooner than later. But before i do this, could someone clarify the following issues:
    Question 2: In case I procrastinate somewhat longer, and Apple releases 3.2 and stops signing 3.1.x, does this mean I can no longer UPgrade to 3.1 as my current fw is 3.0.1?
    I do have my 3.1 SHSH on-file (saurik and local stored). But I believe that they are only good for a DOWNgrade.
    As long as you have your ECID files either on Cydia or on your local computer, you can ALWAYS go to the version they are for. 3.1 ECID SHSH means no matter what, you can fool iTunes into giving your phone 3.1, and fool your phone into taking 3.1. The purpose of the ECID SHSH is to allow you to restore to that firmware, doesn't matter if you are going up, down, or just restoring to the same version you already have installed. I never even use apple to sign my restore requests anymore. I have used my blobs to go 3.0 -> 3.0, 3.1 -> 3.0, 3.0 -> 3.1, 3.1 -> 3.1.2

Of course, what l0k0 said is true too. Easiest & fastest restore method would be to just have a custom firmware for the highest jailbreakable version (make multiple copies and keep them on multiple drives if possible). But having the ECID SHSH on hand or on file with Cydia is a very nice safety net to have.

Question 3: For future JBs, since 3.1 is known as buggy, and I only have my 3.1 SHSH blob on-file on saurik's server. When apple stops signing 3.1.x fw, how can I go from 3.1 to 3.1.2?

It is a long post, isnt it? Sorry!
    Well, I think the way saurik's server works is that if you restore/upgrade to 3.1.2 with your hosts file modified, his server will pass through the signature request to apple, and pass the response back to your itunes, while snagging a copy for itself to keep for when it's needed. Another way is to get that umbrella program The Firmware Umbrella, and just generate it yourself without touching itunes.
    Last edited by L00i3; 2009-10-19 at 05:43 PM.
    2009-10-19 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD