Here is the solution that worked for me.

First of all I started with an iPhone 3Gs factory 3.1.2 with new bootrom, no blobs in Cydia (when I tried, Apple was signing 3.1.3). Jailbreaked and unlocked with Blackra1n.
    I wanted an untethered jailbreak so I run Spirit, to find out I was stucked in recovery...

After a lot of investigation this is what worked for me:

I created a modified ipsw, with the instructions of MuscleNerd:
    Preventing baseband update as a last-ditch effort [iPhone Dev Team]

Do EXACTLY what is written there. The key point is to rezip the 7 files (including the "Firmware" folder) and not the folder conteining this files. After that, change .zip for .ipsw and restore the phone with iTunes. It will throw an error 6 in the middle of the process. Use iRecovery, activate with an original sim card, and you will get a 3.1.3 FW with 05.11.07 baseband.

After that I jailbreaked with Spirit, and did the unlock with Blacksn0w RC2 (add cydia source: cydia.pushfix.info). Don't use Blacksn0w RC1 (the one Blackra1n installs) because it will block the phone again.

Hope this will help you guys!
    2010-05-12 10:11 PM
    Here is the solution that worked for me.

First of all I started with an iPhone 3Gs factory 3.1.2 with new bootrom, no blobs in Cydia (when I tried, Apple was signing 3.1.3). Jailbreaked and unlocked with Blackra1n.
    I wanted an untethered jailbreak so I run Spirit, to find out I was stucked in recovery...

After a lot of investigation this is what worked for me:

I created a modified ipsw, with the instructions of MuscleNerd:
    Preventing baseband update as a last-ditch effort [iPhone Dev Team]

Do EXACTLY what is written there. The key point is to rezip the 7 files (including the "Firmware" folder) and not the folder conteining this files. After that, change .zip for .ipsw and restore the phone with iTunes. It will throw an error 6 in the middle of the process. Use iRecovery, activate with an original sim card, and you will get a 3.1.3 FW with 05.11.07 baseband.

After that I jailbreaked with Spirit, and did the unlock with Blacksn0w RC2 (add cydia source: cydia.pushfix.info). Don't use Blacksn0w RC1 (the one Blackra1n installs) because it will block the phone again.

Hope this will help you guys!
    Is there any way you can provide the modified file (ipsw) itself? I tried to do it but it gives me an error:

"The Iphone "Iphone" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible."

Thanks.
    2010-05-15 09:15 PM
    Is there any way you can provide the modified file (ipsw) itself? I tried to do it but it gives me an error:

"The Iphone "Iphone" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible."

Thanks.
    Don't use Win7, do it on a Mac ?
    2010-05-15 09:28 PM
    Is it possible to restore the iphone in "Spirit over Blackra1n stuck in Recovery mode problem" without losing any of the data on the iphone?

I have some very important pictures/data and would like to recover them if it's possible.

any help is appreciated guys!
    2010-05-16 06:57 PM
    yes, i am in the same situation.
    i backup my phone every week, unfortunately, in the past week i made a tonne of appointments in my calendar and cant afford to lose them.

>>is there some way of booting up my phone without losing my data?<<

it seems like such a small problem and the only option is to restore or update firmware? a bit harsh no?
    2010-05-17 04:41 PM
    The solution is... READ THE FREAKING INSTRUCTINS FIRST and don't do it in the first place. Geez people!
    2010-05-17 05:03 PM
    The key point is to pick the 7 ipsw files and zip them, not the container folder where they are.
    Maybe it's a win issue, I did it on a mac.
    It's not allowed to post links to modified ipsw.
    Since the solutions implies a full restore I think the data in the phone is lost. Sorry.
    2010-05-17 06:42 PM
    I've got a problem when i install blacksnow RC1 or RC2 the iphone is very slow and the iphone freezes and even restart when i exit the airplane mode someone got a solution ?
    2010-05-17 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD