So like many users I have "bricked" my 3GS phone with iOS 4.0. By bricked I mean unable to jailbreak. The phone works in 4.0 but I cant do anything but place emergency calls. I have been trying to downgrade to ANY version and iTunes always fails with error code 3194. Apparently I need to have some SHSH "blobs" or whatever it is uploaded to Cydia's servers. I never did this. So basically, am I screwed? Do I just have to wait for limra1n to come out and hope it solves all my problems?

edit: I have a friend on ATT, would it be possible for me to use his SIM so I can login and download a jailbreak that way?
    2010-06-25 12:45 PM
    No jailbreak for 3GS on oem ios4. I believe old bootrom u can google for a jailbroke activated ios4 firmware but that's only old bootrom. If your model starts with mc then your out of luck.
    2010-06-25 12:54 PM
    How do I know if it starts with MC or not?
    2010-06-25 01:31 PM
    Settings, general, about then read model also check by your serial if the 4th and 5th digit read above 45 then u have new bootrom
    2010-06-25 01:38 PM
    I cant even log into the phone because it's stuck at making emergency calls only.
    2010-06-25 01:51 PM
    Then your screwed lok
    2010-06-25 02:21 PM
    Well seeings as ur already out of a phone... Why not just give it a try?? Are u a windows or a mac user??
    2010-06-25 03:07 PM
    The MC thing doesn't say anything about the 3GS phones. It's only for ipt2g.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.
    2010-06-25 05:25 PM
    Im a windows user. Just to re-iterate what has happened:

1) I have not copied over any SHSH to cydia
    2) I upgraded to 4.0
    3) Apparently there is no jailbreak for 4.0 on the 3GS
    4) Now I cant downgrade or install any cooked 4.0 OS's.

Help?
    2010-06-25 09:25 PM
    Maybe try this:
    The Firmware Umbrella

it'll allow you to save your SHSH locally and once you turn on the local server, iTunes will allow you to downgrade?
    I did it that way for my iPod so not sure if your phone is locked would it be able to save it... but give it a try, nothing to lose :-)
    Let us know if it works.

Update: sorry I didn't realize yours is already on 4.0... it might not work!
    2010-06-25 09:31 PM
    Firmware umbrella will only work for the firmware ur using....

@yosagi
    How have you tried installing a custom firmware? Have you made your own with sn0wbreeze??
    2010-06-25 09:34 PM
    Yeah, all the custom firmwares and even older firmwares just time out in iTunes. I have tried installing them both in DFU mode and recovery mode. iTunes begins preparing the firmware, does nothing for awhile, then throws an error. Phone stays in recovery mode until I reboot it to find it back in 4.0. I'm downloading some random 4.0 custom firmwares from torrent sites right now to see if I can get lucky. FYI i've done this both in Windows 7 and Windows XP with iTunes 9.2 each time, always same result.

Here's one interesting caveat, I can reinstall the official 4.0 as many times as I like. A couple of times I thought the phone was stuck in recovery mode when Recboot or iRecovery wouldnt work, so I just reflashed it with iTunes to the official 4.0 and it worked. iTunes showed progress while flashing and the iPhone itself had a progress bar during the process. But every single other firmware I have tried, from 3.1.1 to 4.0, from custom to official always results in the same thing.

Thanks for the responses guys.
    Last edited by Yosagi; 2010-06-25 at 10:11 PM.
    2010-06-25 10:05 PM
    Do you need a hacktivated one? Because i can create you a ipsw, an then email you the link if you want? Orrr create your own with sn0wbreeze... Its very simple, and self explanatory...
    2010-06-25 10:13 PM
    Do you need a hacktivated one? Because i can create you a ipsw, an then email you the link if you want? Orrr create your own with sn0wbreeze... Its very simple, and self explanatory...
    Already done this. I've tried using hacktivated ones I found off the net, and even made my own with sn0wbreeze (although sn0w kept warning me something about "this device cannot be jailbroken unless it is already jailbroken" lol?) I have tried making my own ipsw's out of the 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 firmwares too, always the same result.

Does anybody know if plugging in an ATT sim would fix this? Would it allow me to get to the home screen and then I could do a software patch through cydia using ultrasn0w or something?

I guess the most important thing I need to know is if I'm wasting my time trying to downgrade from 4.0 because I didnt copy any of the SHSH blobs to cydia. I keep seeing people say "you should do this", but do you HAVE to? Is it just completely 100% impossible to downgrade without Cydia having your blobs?
    Last edited by Yosagi; 2010-06-25 at 10:23 PM.
    2010-06-25 10:20 PM
    Yes it is impossible to downgrade wothout blobs on cydia...
    Unfortunatel you are now stuck on iOS4, unless another jailbreak comes out. Have you jailbroken before? And used cydia? And have you tried changing ur host file to the cydia server? I can link you to a guide to do this if you wish... I say this as cydia did used to autonatically grab ur blobs at the 3.1.2 fimware stage. You may be lucky! But only maybe...
    2010-06-25 10:58 PM
    I purchased the phone used off craigs list. I think I saw cydia on there but I quickly did a mem reset from the options menu to clear out all their music and stuff. This caused the phone to crash and go into a reboot loop, which I believe is what happens if you do a mem reset with cydia installed. I have entered the Cydia server into my hosts file with no luck. Since I have tried all the firmwares I think it's safe to say the original user did not copy the SHSH blobs, otherwise it would have worked by now wouldnt it?
    2010-06-25 11:17 PM
    Have u tried all firmwares back to 3.0? This may be a long process, but if you are desperate to jb 4.0, then this may be your only option... Other than that, if it works, i think your out of luck untill a new JB is released... Sorry mate!
    2010-06-25 11:28 PM
    Ok I just downloaded every official ipsw down to 3.0. None of them work, always get the exact same error, #3194 "itunes encountered an error" or something like that. So that must mean they never reg'd the phone with Cydia. I'm assuming iTunes is crashing because it cant find the SHSH when being routed to cydia? Or is there a special error message for that?

Does anybody know of a way to actually brick the iphone completely? Maybe if I take it in totally nonfunctional to an apple store they can replace it for me.
    2010-06-26 12:37 AM
    I'm on the same boat as you.. Bought an iPhone 3gs with ios4. Don't have 3.1.3 or lower blobs.. stuck with an iPod now
    2010-06-26 12:58 AM
    While I know I cant downgrade now, would installing a hacktivated iOS 4.0 possibly work? The only tool available to do this is sn0wbreeze and im not sure I'm doing it right. Whenever I try i get the following msg after scanning the 4.0 ipsw

Is this normal? Someone said they might be willing to cook a 4.0 hacktivated firmware for me. If you think it would work, I'd definitely appreciate it if the offer still stands.

Do I need to let iTunes connect to the real gs.apple.com if I'm using a 4.0 firmware (cooked or non-cooked)?
    Last edited by Yosagi; 2010-06-26 at 01:21 AM.
    2010-06-26 01:17 AM
99 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.