Hello Gurus,

I bought and iPhone 3GS for my sister when it first came out. It had 3.0 and was jailbroken and unlocked and worked charmingly.

When 3.1 came out, I told her to click the Make my Life Easier button in Cydia. So the only SHSH she had stored on Cydia was for 3.1.0

Recently she did something stupid and went to ITunes and upgraded to 4.0!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a lot of trouble I was able to downgrade her phone to 3.1 (A LOT of trouble and a world of pain)

Now that it is at 3.1, does anyone know what I can use to:
    1- Jailbreak it / Unlock it?
    2- Hacktivate it because she lost the at&t sim that came with the phone.

Thanks a lot for your help guys, I really appreciate it!!

cheers
    2010-07-07 04:16 PM
    one in a million? lol .. Right... Did you bother to look at the guides at the top of the page? You need to install a custom firmware.
    2010-07-07 04:22 PM
    Doesn't 4.0 have a new baseband that cannot be unlocked?
    2010-07-07 04:40 PM
    Simtech,

I cannot install a custom firmware because now I am on Stock 3.1 (not jailbroken). PwnageTool says that they existing firmware on the phone has to be pwned. Or am I wrong?

CaptainChaos

The latest ultrasnow can unlock all basebands afaik.

Your help is greatly appreciated guys, any suggestions will be helpful!!!

Thanks
    2010-07-07 05:25 PM
    once you click "make my life easer" it saves all shsh blobs from that time on. I'm not sure if the latest redsnow works on the older 3.1 you can try then use custom from there. If it dosnt just restore to 3.12 run blackra1n and go to custom from there. All basebands including 4.0 is unlockable just install Ultrasn0w
    2010-07-07 06:20 PM
    Ok guys I finally did it! My iPhone is working now, jailbroken, and unlocked. I will just post a small summary so anyone in the future might find this useful:

Background:
    iPhone 3GS (old bootrom, bought it when it first came out) was running 3.0, it was jailbroken and unlocked using purplera1n and purplesn0w (wow that seems like lightyears into the past).

Then when 3.1 came out, I checked "Make my life easier" in Cydia, which means that even if apple stops signing 3.1 when newer versions were released (such as 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 and 4.0) I could still downgrade to 3.1 at anytime because my SHSH files are on the Cydia server.

My sister decided to upgrade the phone to iOS 4.0 ignoring my millions of warnings. Of course we lost our Jailbreak and the Unlock. The phone got updated to the latest baseband (5.13.04).

Then started my downgrade journey. Here is what I did:

1) Downloaded original Apple iPhone OS 3.1 firmware (found a copy @ iClarified). Note that I got the 3.1 (NOT 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 because I didn't have SHSH files on Cydia for that, my sister was too lazy to click the "Make my life easier button" when those were released!)

2) After I did that, I tried restoring by modifying my Hosts file to point to Cydia's server by modifying the gs.apple.com. I kept trying this forever and it failed. I almost lost hope...

3) Then I thought maybe the server is overloaded or just screwed so I thought why not get a local copy of my SHSH files on my laptop and take it from there?

4) Came across Firmware Umbrella which allows you to download your SHSH files from Cydia to your computer. Downloaded it and used it to get my SHSH files from Cydia to my computer.

5) Ran the TSS server in Umbrella, and now my gs.apple.com was pointing to my own laptop, I no longer needed Cydia's server or Apple at all.

6) Put my phone in Restore mode (not even DFU, wasn't necessary). Clicked Shift+Restore (or Option+Restore on MAC), chose Apple's original firmware that I downloaded.

7) Restore went find, then suddenly i got the dreaded 1015 Unknown error message. I read online that this is ok and I should REDO the restore for a second time and EXPECT to get it again (which I did). But they said after you get it the second time the phone should be fully restored in theory.

8) Now I needed a software to exit from recovery/restore mode. Downloaded RecBoot, its a nice software that kicks your iPhone out of recovery and back to normal mode. There's a tutorial for using it on the internet as well.

9) Now my iPhone rebooted and I could see the emergency call screen. However I had to activate it. I searched for the original AT&T card to activate it because there was no way for me to "hacktivate" it. I found the SIM card LUCKILY!!! and used it to activate the phone using iTunes

10) I now had access to my springboard!

11) Searched online, and found that the only way to Jailbreak STOCK 3.1 firmware (which i now had, you can't use a custom firmware when downgradubg from a stock firmware, i was on stock iOS4.0 remember) is blackra1n

12) downloaded blackra1n. very simple to run, jailbroke my device. Luckily since I have the old 3GS I had the old bootrom, which means my JB is untethered (which means I dont have to reapply it everytime i restart my phone, if you have the new bootrom you gotta do that).

13) clicked the blackra1n icon on my springboard, downloaded cydia

14) found out the only software that can unlock the latest baseband (5.13.04) -which I unfortunately had after my sister upgraded to iOS 4.0- is UltraSn0w which can unlock all basebands up to 5.13.04.

15) tried adding the repo666.ultrasn0w.com repo to Cydia to get it. Didn't work. Apparently repo was down. So I added sinfuliphonerepo.com and found a copy of it there

16) downloaded and ran ultrasnow 0.93. my phone rebooted. and I got 3g signal.

17) happy ending. everyone smiling. hope you get your happy ending too

hope this helps someone. share is love.
    Last edited by kambozza; 2010-07-07 at 06:48 PM.
    2010-07-07 06:43 PM
    Hey im prety much stuck in the same boat that you WERE on before, the only thing different is that I dont think this iphone was originally jailbroken or unlocked, I just bought it, and they were using atgt and of course updated to os4, is there anyway I can downgrade then jailbreak?
    Thanks, here is my info
    iphone 3gs 32gb
    os 4
    2010-07-07 07:33 PM
    the only reason i was able to downgrade is because when 3.1 came out i saved my SHSH files through cydia. since you didn't even have the phone at that time i dont think a downgrade is possible!
    2010-07-07 07:45 PM
    Ok so my only option now is to wait?
    2010-07-07 07:48 PM
    Ok so my only option now is to wait?
    Yes.
    2010-07-07 07:50 PM
    Recently she did something stupid and went to ITunes and upgraded to 4.0!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a lot of trouble I was able to downgrade her phone to 3.1 (A LOT of trouble and a world of pain)

Now that it is at 3.1
    How the heck did you get rid of 4.0? I've been fighting this thing to downgrade for two days now (iPod 3G). Any chance you can list what you used, what software versions, what steps and what your PC OS is (mac/xp/vista,etc...)

One in a million? heh I wish I were on OS 3.x.x, and unsure where to go. At least thats somewhere to start from,as it is, each time I wait to see if anything has changed, I get the disappointment of OS 4.0 still being there, like a virus.

Bought it used, SHSH not uploaded. Ive been trying redsnow, blackrain, hacking the windows host file to trick itunes, command line libusb entries, different iTunes/firmware versions, multiple PCs/OSs (laptop/triple boot & desktop dual boot), yet I still can't get this sorted. Each fruitless attempt takes nearly an hour, yada yada... Bang head into wall. Anyone stuck on 4.0 trying to revert knows this pain. [/whining] lol

Any help or direction that you or anyone else who's successfully rid 4.0 could give, I'm all ears and running out of ideas. I'll stand on my head and do a little dance if someone says that's what worked for them... Long as the bizarre fix works, who am I to question it?
    Last edited by 0blivious; 2010-07-07 at 08:31 PM.
    2010-07-07 08:27 PM
    He downgraded because he had the 3.1 SHSH files stored. You can't otherwise.
    2010-07-07 09:47 PM
    @0blivious

Yes exactly, as Simtech said, the only way to downgrade is if you have the SHSH files for the firmware version you are downgrading to. There is NO WAY to downgrade without those.
    2010-07-08 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD