I upgraded my 3G to 4.0 and sucessfully jailbroke it and unlocked it (via ultrasn0w). After a couple of weeks of using it, I found that 4.0 was too slow (and a battery drain), so I decided to downgrade to 3.1.2. I used PwnageTool to create custom 3.1.2 firmware, but stupidly forgot to check the "Activate the phone" button, which activates the phone in case you don't use AT&T. After restoring that custom firmware to the phone, I now find myself in the following predicament:

Rebooting phone shows the screen that says to plug into iTunes (for activation, I presume). When I do, iTunes says that it found an unrecognized SIM card and that I have to insert the original AT&T SIM card. The problem is that I do not have the original card anymore. After trying to get out of this restore mode loop, I created a new IPSW with PwnageTool that does include activation and then put the phone into DFU mode in order to restore. But when I try to restore, I get the 1600 error.

I've tried rebooting the computer, removing everything from ~/Library/iTunes/Device Support, etc, but I still cannot do a firmware restore. In DFU mode I get 1600 error, and in restore mode I don't even get to see the Restore button, because iTunes is looking for the original SIM card. Any help, please?
    2010-07-12 06:47 AM
    Try doing it while your NOT in dfu mode.
    2010-07-12 03:16 PM
    This may be of some help to you. http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...iphone-3g.html
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter
    2010-07-13 12:59 AM
    Looks like you never saved your shsh blob when you were on firmware 3.1.2. Your pretty much out of luck.
    2010-07-13 01:07 AM
    Looks like you never saved your shsh blob when you were on firmware 3.1.2. Your pretty much out of luck.
    He is on a 3g iphone shsh blobs don't apply as far as I know.

2010-07-13 01:13 AM
    I can't try the restore "not in DFU mode", because when I take it out of DFU mode, iTunes recognizes it but only shows a page that says that the SIM card is not authorized.

I'd like to try it, but looks like Sn0wbreeze is only available for Windows..
    Last edited by hyperion0; 2010-07-13 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-07-13 01:22 AM
    I can't try the restore "not in DFU mode", because when I take it out of DFU mode, iTunes recognizes it but only shows a page that says that the SIM card is not authorized.

I'd like to try it, but looks like Sn0wbreeze is only available for Windows..
    Opps sorry didn't notice you are running a mac try this How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS to 4.0 with PwnageTool | OS X

pwnagetool is snowbreez for macs so it may work following that other guides instructions. If not do a search on this site on how to downgrade a 3g

Also check this out as well under Help! I should have listened and just left this for JB app devs! http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:rsbeta

This should work because you can unlock the new baseband with ultrasnow still
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 2010-07-13 at 01:34 AM.

2010-07-13 01:28 AM
    Thanks for your suggestions, but I tried using PwnageTool already. The problem is that once I create a custom IPSW and tried to restore in DFU mode, I get the 1600 error. And when it's in recovery mode instad of DFU mode (like mentioned above), iTunes just says it has an unauthorized SIM card and doesn't let me do anything else.
    2010-07-13 01:36 AM
    Try restoring to a stock iOS 4 then using redsn0w to jailbreak since you have a 3g How to Jailbreak 4.0 iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2g on OS X/Windows
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?
    2010-07-13 01:39 AM
    Thanks for your suggestions, but I tried using PwnageTool already. The problem is that once I create a custom IPSW and tried to restore in DFU mode, I get the 1600 error. And when it's in recovery mode instad of DFU mode (like mentioned above), iTunes just says it has an unauthorized SIM card and doesn't let me do anything else.
    Did you try the second link I posted?

2010-07-13 01:42 AM
    Have you tried using redsn0w 0.9.5b-5
    2010-07-13 01:51 AM
    Have you tried using redsn0w 0.9.5b-5
    Not yet, will try it soon. It says though, "Make sure you've already activated your iPhone3G or iPod Touch 2G with iTunes (redsn0w won't hacktivate your iPhone3G until Apple's full public release of 4.0)". Is that still true? Because my 3G doesn't appear to be activated based on the iTunes message.
    2010-07-13 01:56 AM
    Try restoring to a stock iOS 4 then using redsn0w to jailbreak since you have a 3g How to Jailbreak 4.0 iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2g on OS X/Windows
    :read:
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?
    2010-07-13 02:02 AM
    Should be a non issue at this point because 4.0 has been publicly released. So you should be able to hacktivate.

2010-07-13 02:02 AM
    I already restored to a stock iOS 4, not with a tool, but just letting iTunes doing its normal Restore process. Since I need the 4.0 IPSW for redsn0w, anyone know where iTunes keeps downloaded firmware?
    2010-07-13 02:05 AM
    ModMyi Forums - Downloads - iPhone 3G 4.0

Feel free to hit thanks button anytime...lol

2010-07-13 02:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD