I am trying to downgrade my 3GS from ios4 to 3.1.2 (have previously been successful), but now keep getting the dam 3194 error. I know you can only install signed fireware files. I have tried the cydia server to no effect, I have used tiny umbrella and got local versions of my shsh files for 3.1.2, changed the windows host file to 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com and tried to downgrade, but no joy. It seems that lots of people are plagued by the error 3194, but no one seems to have a definitive solution on how to resolve it. What does the error code mean? and then maybe a solution might be able to be identifed.
    2010-07-16 12:36 PM
    Was this error happening right after the extracting ipsw part of the restore? If so this was happening to me yesterday too on windows. Didnt have time to look into the problem but when I got home and tried on my mac I didnt have this issue. I think it might have something to do with the hosts files being edited. Try changing them back to the way they are supposed to be (pointing to apple) and then try using tiny umbrella.
    2010-07-16 01:33 PM
    I get it on the varifiying stage, have tried with 3.1.2 & 3.1.3, both are on cydia's server accoring to Tiny Umbrella, tried DFU & recovery mode, just tried again & still get error 3194, so checked host file & still pointing to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    2010-07-16 01:46 PM
    Not sure then, sorry. Maybe someone else might know more about why this is happening.
    2010-07-16 02:07 PM
    Error 3194 is the 'ineligible build' error. It's the error you get when you try to restore to a firmware that Apple isn't signing anymore. If you get this, it's because you haven't set up the hosts file properly.

One guess from me would be that you've edited the hosts file, but also run the TSS server of Umbrella (edit: which also edits the hosts file) meaning you have two references to gs.apple.com in the file.
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-07-17 at 05:25 PM.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.
    2010-07-17 04:53 PM
    Error 3194:
    u r trying to restore firmware without setting the HOST file to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com or u dont have SHSH on Cydia server for that firmware !
    2010-07-17 05:10 PM
    Error 3194:
    u r trying to restore firmware without setting the HOST file to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com or u dont have SHSH on Cydia server for that firmware !
    What you are describing ends with an error that says device is not eligible for the selected firmware. That is not the case for this error. What dhamien said is most likely the cause of this and editing the hosts file so that only one gs.apple.com is there should fix it.
    2010-07-17 05:28 PM
    Still having this issue on my windows machine. What exactly are the hosts file supposed to like without any alteration? I want to put it back to normal then use only tiny umbrella.
    2010-07-19 07:04 PM
    # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost

This is my host file...Everything with # at the begining host file dont use.. If u want to use tiny umbrella server u have to add 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com at the end, without #. Restart your computer after you make these administrator level changes to your hosts file. Then start Tiny for a local restore, and restore to your older firmware
    Last edited by igrujic; 2010-07-19 at 07:13 PM.
    2010-07-19 07:11 PM
    Try to do it with out putting the phone in Restore or DFU mode matey see if that helps.
    2010-07-19 07:55 PM
    # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost

This is my host file...Everything with # at the begining host file dont use.. If u want to use tiny umbrella server u have to add 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com at the end, without #. Restart your computer after you make these administrator level changes to your hosts file. Then start Tiny for a local restore, and restore to your older firmware
    Thanks, will give that a go.

Nope still not working, trying it in dfu mode causes a 3194 error. Recovery mode get the same error. Regular mode same thing. I can add the cydia server to my hosts (72. etc..) and get the downgrade to work that way but would rather use tiny umbrella so I can keep a record of the phones that I have SHSH for. Everything was working fine up until a few days ago.
    Not sure what changed.
    Last edited by Simon; 2010-07-19 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-07-19 10:22 PM
    I am trying to downgrade my 3GS from ios4 to 3.1.2 (have previously been successful), but now keep getting the dam 3194 error. I know you can only install signed fireware files. I have tried the cydia server to no effect, I have used tiny umbrella and got local versions of my shsh files for 3.1.2, changed the windows host file to 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com and tried to downgrade, but no joy. It seems that lots of people are plagued by the error 3194, but no one seems to have a definitive solution on how to resolve it. What does the error code mean? and then maybe a solution might be able to be identifed.
    Also, make sure your are NOT using iTunes 9.2. I recently tried to restore a friends device to 3.1.2 and he had shsh blobs stored from 3.0 onwards!! I initially tried on my laptop and it returned an error 3194, the laptop had iTunes 9.2. I then tried on my main computer which had iTunes 9.0 installed and with one click it all went through. And yes both machines have host files configured properly etc. Try downgrading iTunes it worth a shot. Good luck!
    2010-07-20 12:22 PM
    Also, make sure your are NOT using iTunes 9.2. I recently tried to restore a friends device to 3.1.2 and he had shsh blobs stored from 3.0 onwards!! I initially tried on my laptop and it returned an error 3194, the laptop had iTunes 9.2. I then tried on my main computer which had iTunes 9.0 installed and with one click it all went through. And yes both machines have host files configured properly etc. Try downgrading iTunes it worth a shot. Good luck!
    +1 on this.
    I've been stuck with 3194 and when I downgraded iTunes 9.2 to 9.0.3, it worked on the first try.
    2010-07-22 05:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD