User Tag List

I know this is probably a stupid question, but has anyone just called Apple support and said "Hey I have a 3GS, still under warranty. I just upgraded to 4.0.1 but I don't like the new version, please help me put 3.1.3 back on" ?
    2010-07-23 12:46 AM
    Not really a stupid question, because I've never hear anyone post 'exactly what was said'. Although we all know their answer, go for it and post the results.

BTW: Steve Jobs promised to 'Make every customer happy' during his iPhone 4 Antennae-Gate press conference. Makes sense they should allow you to downgrade --- to make you happy .
    2010-07-23 12:56 AM
    Hmm no good. I called and said I didn't like the multitasking, and a few of my apps no longer worked.

He was pretty keen to get me to like 4, and he said "yes it's physically possible to downgrade, but Apple doesn't support it" and that it'd only be done in "extreme circumstances"

Then for some reason he said something about "if you still had the old version locally..." etc I think to the tune that I could downgrade that way but that doesn't work obviously, and that I shouldn't "get it from some dodgy website".

Doh!
    2010-07-23 01:30 AM
    Not a bad idea really. Bummer to hear it didnt work out for you. It is stupid they won't allow iPhone owners to choose whatever firmware they want to be on especially with people on 3gs and 3g experiencing problems with iOS 4
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?
    2010-07-23 01:55 AM
    ^^ I am sure they allow it ... for some special users.

Think about it. With 100,000 apps on Apple store?? (or what's that big #?).

Imagine how many custom made apps were created?

Custom apps for the 'special' people: ie: government, police, big customers, etc. It's very very likely their custom apps were built for a 'specific' software version .... and even more likely it is required for security purposes ... and everybody knows how slowly this type of customer changes -- if ever.

Apple wouldn't dare tell the government or a fortune 500 company they MUST change their app to accept a new FW version --- unless they want a lot of bad corporate press and another congressional hearing. (haha

Downgrading to any version occurs, without a doubt just like some lucky non-AT&T customers can get an authorized Apple carrier unlock for their iDevice. We the average consumer doesn't know about it. Apples spin-machine doesn't want us to know either because everybody would want this option.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-07-23 at 03:39 AM.
    2010-07-23 03:28 AM
    Lol I can imagine Apple saying one thing but really thinking "hell no I aint downgrading your sh*t you jailbreaker!!"

I suppose Im just paranoid, I always think things worse than they really are. Good idea though OP.
    2010-07-23 05:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD