Hi all,

i've recently made a dreadful mistake by upgrading my jailbroken iphone with 3.1.2 firmware to 4.0.1. Went through all the tutorials i could find on downgrading/restoring to an older version of the firmware(in my case, 3.1.2).

1. I have saved my SHSH on the cydia server previously (cydia has confirmed it in the main page of the app when i launch it)

2. I have edited the HOSTs file to point it to Cydia's TSS

3. I have gotten the phone to DFU mode, selected the 3.1.2 restore file and extraction began.

Here's the thing, after extracting the contents of the restore file, itunes begins to verify with Apple (Cydia's TSS)and the error i got was

"The iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

which didn't make sense to me cause i've confirmed that i have a SHSH file on Cydia's server and it should proceed on to restoration.

Any ideas? I believe i'm getting the common 3194 error that alot of people are getting when trying to downgrade.

P.S - I've also tried using Tinyumbrella to do a localhost restoration but to no avail.
    2010-08-03 06:53 PM
    Why do you want to downgrade to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. OS 4.0 works well on 3GS, before Apple releases 4.1, you should restore back to 4.0.1 and do the jailbreakme.com from Safari. You can then unlock with Ultrasn0w from Cydia. Ultrasn0w unlocks all BB from 3.0 to 4.0.1 for 3G & 3GS except Iphone 4.
    2010-08-04 01:27 AM
    I tried to downgrade also with no luck. 4.0.1 and 4.0 suck! Way too many bugs! I was able to restore 3.1.3 before I upgraded to 4.0.1, does anyone know a fix for this?
    2010-08-04 03:47 AM
    @yeow202 the reason why i'm downgrading from iOS 4 to 3.1.2 is that iOS 4 renders pretty much 70% of Cydia apps unworkable. Which is a huge hassle for me especially when i've grown used to having an iphone with all the fantastic functions that comes with jailbreaking.

Until Cydia app developers upgrade their apps to be compatible with iOS4, i'll stick with 3.1.2

Anyways, i've managed to resolve my issue. Here's what i did. I manage to restore using the standard downgrade tutorial on another machine with itunes 9.0.3. It's strange cause i tried doing the restore on 2 other machines prior to this and it didn't work.

So those who are experiencing the 3194 error, you might wanna give it a try on other machines to see whether it works.
    2010-08-04 08:23 AM
    Hello, we got the same scenario. What i did is to make itunes fake the verification. Try to do this - go to my computer -click windows - click system 32 - click drivers - click etc then open hosts with notepad make sure open with administrator then type this at the bottom
    # 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com and save it. Restore from itunes and look for your 3.1.2 fw and thats it. Hope this help!
    2010-08-04 08:50 AM
    I had a similar problem in that even though I had my blobs saved by Cydia, I was still not able to restore to 3.1.3. I messed with it for a long time and finally got it to work on iTunes 9.0.2.25 and by putting the phone in DFU mode, not just regular recovery mode. I think there may be a problem with the newer versions of iTunes for trying to use the blobs. For reference, my phone is a 3GS with the NEW bootrom.
    2010-08-05 02:04 AM
    I have a 3GS (New Bootrom) and Im trying to downgrade from my 4.0.1 jb back to 3.1.3 jb. My shsh blobs for 3.1.3 are on Saurik's server (at least according to Tiny Umbrella).

I've tried restoring to 3.1.3 by editing my hosts file like @bote21 and I've since been usings the TSS Server in Tiny Umbrella. When the restore completes my iphone doesnt give the connect to itunes screen, so there is nothing to kick out of recovery with recboot. When I manually pull it out of DFU its still running 4.0.1 and nothings changed on my device. The most recent time I tried, the phone didnt even stay in DFU mode, it just booted up regularly. Itunes seems to spit out a different error message each time, though none of them are the error message its supposed to. Most recently I got (1601).

Edit: I've been using Itunes 8.2 because I read 9.2 could be a problem, im going to try with 9.0 now because apparently people have had sucsess with 9.0.

Any help will be monsterously appriciated in the form of undying loyalty to Modmyi (I'm already 90% the way to undying loyalty, so no pressure).

I just want ProSwitcher back and the version of categories that scrolled page by page like icons on the SB. IOS4 is depressing.
    Last edited by Bladaw; 2010-08-05 at 06:54 AM.
    2010-08-05 06:51 AM
    Yeah. I'd try using the 9.0 version of iTunes. That seems to be what finally worked for me. You might try doing a fresh restore of 4.0 first to make sure you haven't got anything weird going on before you downgrade.
    2010-08-05 07:15 AM
    @maxstang You were right, I tried Itunes 9.0.0.70 (I think, it was defs a 9.0) right after my last post and it worked first time. I've spent the last few hours syncing and resyncing and installing cydia apps and sources.

My advice for people downgrading to 3.x:

Use Itunes 9.0.x.
    Use Tiny Umbrella (google it) to check if your SHSH are saved on Saurik's server.
    Use Umbrella to save all your shsh on cydia AND locally from now on, its just safer that way.
    Use Tiny Umbrella's TSS server instead of editing host files (limits room for your own error).
    Find a good guide (there are heaps on Modmyi) and read it like 80 times before you try it.

Thanks maxstang for the help, even though it was all of two hours late.

Im trying to do a restore on another iphone 3GS to 3.1.3 (its already 3.1.3, but I'm trying to fix some bugs, hence the restore) the shsh blobs are saved locally and I think the verification process is working. After Itunes checks the firmware with apple (actually checks my hdd thanks to TSS server) it attempts to install the firmware when I get error 1601.

Is there a way to bypass 16xx errors for a 3GS or am I just one of a huge group of people waiting for iREB to be compatible with the 3GS?

Whats the chances that upgrading to 4.0.1 and then downgrading to 3.1.3 will work?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bladaw; 2010-08-06 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-06 07:52 AM
    If I've read correctly, without having the blobs saved for 3.1.3, I cannot downgrade from 4.0.1? Have a 3GS and ran TinyUmbrella, but only confirmed blobs are the 4.0.1; will I be able to dg in the future? If so, what do I have to do? Thanks.
    2010-08-06 09:47 PM
    If I've read correctly, without having the blobs saved for 3.1.3, I cannot downgrade from 4.0.1? Have a 3GS and ran TinyUmbrella, but only confirmed blobs are the 4.0.1; will I be able to dg in the future? If so, what do I have to do? Thanks.
    You can only restore to 4.0.1 again in future, that is the lowest downgrade you can restore.
    2010-08-06 10:06 PM
    will I be able to dg in the future? If so, what do I have to do? Thanks.
    I recall reading that ios4 has some sort of soft check during its restore process that is designed as a hinderence to people WITH ios4 shsh blobs saved downgrading to (in your case) 4.0.1 once 4.0.1 has stopped being signed. Consequently, Im not sure what the dg/restore process will entail. But rest assured, when the next firmware comes out if you do update and want to downgrade, so will hundreds of others and there will be guides etc.
    2010-08-07 02:44 AM
    ok i have the 3194 problem too ... and i need help desperately ... i bought my iphone 3gs running on 3.1.2 from hk in the unlocked condition ... i then used blackrain for an untethered jailbreak which worked perfectly fine ... i then tried to use spirit for tethered jb and i dont know what happened but now my phones stuck in a loop in recovery mode ... i followed all the steps in all d tutorials regarding the hosts files but im still getting the 3194 error ... the stupidest thing is i dint upload my shsh keys on sauriks server ... is there anyway out of this ? can i atleast get my phone to start working even if it means using the 4.0 software ? plz plz plz help
    2010-08-10 12:30 PM
    i then used blackrain for an untethered jailbreak which worked perfectly fine ... i then tried to use spirit for tethered jb
    Tethered JB with spirit??? The spirit jb is untethered for all devices i thought. Does your iphone have the new bootrom?

If you dont have 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 shsh blobs saved anywhere (on cydia or locally) you cant restore to those firmwares.

You can easily update to 4.0.1 and jb that with jailbreakme.com.
    Hit Check for updates in the help menu of itunes to makesure you have 9.2, then plug your iphone in and hit the update button. You may want to do a backup first but it shouldnt delete any of your contacts or anything. Then just jb with jailbreakme.com from safari.app.

my phones stuck in a loop in recovery mode
    There are a few ways to get your phone out of recovery, try looking up some guides. Recboot might work too.
    Last edited by Bladaw; 2010-08-10 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-10 02:47 PM
    Dear all,

Currently I am using iphone 4.0.1. I wanted to downgrade back to 3.1.3. Do I need to jailbreak my phone before downgrade? And Am I right to say that if I didn't save 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 shsh blobs saved anywhere, then I cannot downgrade my phone?
    2010-08-10 04:52 PM
    ooops sorry i meant it the other way around spirit for untethere n blackrain fr tethered ... my bad ... will try what u suggested n will get back to u ... also i had backed up my phone before all the problems started ... so should i backup from that once im on 4.0.1 ?

Tethered JB with spirit??? The spirit jb is untethered for all devices i thought. Does your iphone have the new bootrom?

If you dont have 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 shsh blobs saved anywhere (on cydia or locally) you cant restore to those firmwares.

You can easily update to 4.0.1 and jb that with jailbreakme.com.
    Hit Check for updates in the help menu of itunes to makesure you have 9.2, then plug your iphone in and hit the update button. You may want to do a backup first but it shouldnt delete any of your contacts or anything. Then just jb with jailbreakme.com from safari.app.

There are a few ways to get your phone out of recovery, try looking up some guides. Recboot might work too.
    sorry i meant it the other way around bout the tethered untethered thing ... my bad ... i backed up the phone before all the problems started so will i be able to get my contacts n all the other stuff from it after upgrading to 4.0.1 ?
    Last edited by rahulmrajani; 2010-08-10 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-10 05:21 PM
    Am I right to say that if I didn't save 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 shsh blobs saved anywhere, then I cannot downgrade my phone?
    You're right. Without the shsh blobs for those firmwares saved you can't downgrade to those firmwares. You're stuck on 4.0.1 I'm afraid.

so should i backup from that once im on 4.0.1?
    Restoring from a recent backup can't hurt. But normally if you go through the process of upgrading w/o restoring (like factory reset style) you won't lose any apps, notes, contacts or anything else that's saved in a backup.
    Last edited by Bladaw; 2010-08-11 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-11 02:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD