WOW! Been reading for 6+ hours all night and no downgrade and NO saved SHSH for my 3gs that I UPDATED to 4.0.2. Did what you said (backed up 4.0.2 with tinyumbella first) then followed the vid, and lo IT WORKED! 4.0.1! I just did it 8/23/10 12:55am Thank you SO MUCH for POSTING THIS!

NOT FAKE!!!! Try IT!
    2010-08-23 06:52 AM
    WOW! Been reading for 6+ hours all night and no downgrade and NO saved SHSH for my 3gs that I UPDATED to 4.0.2. Did what you said (backed up 4.0.2 with tinyumbella first) then followed the vid, and lo IT WORKED! 4.0.1! I just did it 8/23/10 12:55am Thank you SO MUCH for POSTING THIS!

NOT FAKE!!!! Try IT!
    I just registered to say this method truly works. Just follow everything in the vid and you are good to go. Thanks!!!
    2010-08-23 04:05 PM
    Okay, to summarize:

- More than one of you had iDevices with no blobs saved on Cydia.
    - More than one of you found yourselves updated to, or even already running 4.0.2
    - More than one of you used the instructions in the video (commonly accepted downgrading instructions) despite the lack of saved blobs
    - More than one of you succeeded anyway, despite the lack of saved blobs

Okay, I suppose we can chalk it up to some kind of miracle, but I don't believe we can treat it as something reliably repeatable.

However, for those in this thread that said it works...how about you post up a screenshot of your Cydia home screen? Not an unreasonable request, I don't think.
    I would like to see some proof of this too. Those that have successfully done it if you could show the front page of cydia that would go along way to proving this works.
    2010-08-23 06:45 PM
    Hello, I just bought a new 3GS 16 GB and I didnt know it was already on 4.0.2 ... the guy who I bought it from said that he has never jailbroken it before, and I'm assuming that jailbreaking on this device is a lost cause? I really need to jailbreak. That's the only reason I bought the thing in the first place. I'm getting so frustrated! I have tried so many times to find the answer and and I really do not want to wait until they release a jailbreak for 4.0.2. Someone should please help me, can I still downgrade or jailbreak?? (old boot rom)
    2010-08-23 08:39 PM
    I have an iPhone3GS

*I am not saying this is the official working method, but I can confirm it worked for me*

I've been following this thread since Iphone was updated to 4.0.2 at work. So on the 19th, the phone was on 4.0.1 and never jb. I then used jailbreakme.com and ultrasnow to unlock but forgot to reset phone. When I tried to reset phone(settings->General) it locked up so I plugged into my PC at work. When I came back, my technician said good news, you have the latest iphone firmare now. I was like oh no! Serves me right as I should have locked my workstation LOL! I can confirm it was on 4.0.2 and did not save the files through Cydia(so i didn't think).

Today, I download the Tiny umbrella(I tried download over weekend and it said it was too busy) and ran the app. It saw my device, clicked advanced options and I changed the drop down to Cydia and clicked save my SHSH hoping something would happen. Here is the log:

08/23/2010 15:44:57.685 TSS Server has cached the following files:
    08/23/2010 15:44:57.685 iPhone3GS 4.0.2 (8A400)-XXXXXXXXXXXX 08/23/2010 15:44:57.700 Devices with ECIDs matching the above AND restoring to the exact firmware version listed above will succeed!
    08/23/2010 15:45:08.560 TSS Server has cached the following files:
    08/23/2010 15:45:08.560 iPhone3GS 4.0.2 (8A400)-XXXXXXXXXXXX

After This completed, I changed my host file, launched ITUNES, put the phone in DFU mode, selected the 4.0.0 firmware and it downgraded the phone to 4.0.0. Went to jailbreakme.com and and when I launched CYDIA, above Welcome to Cydia it says This device has a pending TSS request.

I don't know what this all means, but I can confirm on my phone is on 4.0.0 and it is unlocked for Tmobile. I am not sure how this worked and quite frankly I do not care. I am just reporting what I did and how I did it. Again, I am not saying the method on this thread works for all phones, but in this case it did for me. There could be many reasons, but I know for sure I never manually saved my SHSH files until this AM as the log stated(just noticed the time on the logs, I am in PST and did this around around 12:44 pm.

Good luck and I will never update to 4.0.2. LOL!
    Last edited by iphoneFabe; 2010-08-24 at 01:00 AM.
    2010-08-24 12:58 AM
    I wish I could reproduce these results, but I can't with the devices I have, as I DO have SHSHs saved for them.

In my perfect world, this would be a result of Saurik beta-testing his new TSS server, capable of generating new SHSHs on demand. Wouldn't that be nice?
    Last edited by Trooper Sam; 2010-08-24 at 01:05 AM.
    2010-08-24 01:02 AM
    I wish I could reproduce these results, but I can't with the devices I have, as I DO have SHSHs saved for them.

In my perfect world, this would be a result of Saurik beta-testing his new TSS server, capable of generating new SHSHs on demand. Wouldn't that be nice?
    If Saurik has a TSS server that can sign perfect forgeries of outdated SHSHs without querying the original server or otherwise having a copy of the SHSH, I'll eat my socks (and I bet almost all technical restrictions on the iPhone just vanished, as we would have apparently stumbled upon Apple's root private signing key). Why jailbreak if we can sign Cydia to run as an Apple-approved app?...

..anyway, utopian visions and dreams of freedom aside, I digress. iphoneFabe, I would guess you're a very lucky person and Cydia grabbed your 4.0.1 blobs on the 19th in time. For 4.0 blobs though, I have no clue, along with the rest of you professing blobless/'magic blob' downgrades.

Maybe there are phones/devices in the wild with duplicate ECIDs? Though there are 18,446,744,073,709,552,000 possible ECIDs, there have been roughly... 250 million iOS-based devices (iPod touches, iPhones, and iPads) made since '07... possible? Yes. Likely? No. Maybe you guys had blobs backed up and didn't know it...?

--Regrettably, I'm not convinced you all aren't trolling until everybody who's claiming a downgrade posts a picture of their Cydia homescreen (with their UDID covered or cropped out), like this:

EDIT: and throw in your ECID (hexadecimal or decimal) too. Don't worry, it's not uniquely identifying, and it's useless to anyone and everyone who is not trying to restore your specific device.
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-08-24 at 01:28 AM.
    2010-08-24 01:25 AM
    Kinda funny how all that say it is working just signed up and only have a few posts. Also if any of you do want to prove it and show cydia front page it is the SHSH at the top that I am interested in.
    2010-08-24 01:33 AM
    I think you are right, maybe the JB on the 19th or running Cydia to unlock maybe saved my files on his server? Not sure. I am attaching a pic of what it now says above the Cydia welcome. Hope this helps anyone.

Here is what my Cyida says now:

Here is what you asked for:

Don't post much because I usually research and get it right the first time. Anyways, I had a feeling there would be people calling BS on me and that's fine. I am sorry that others are having issues as I have flashed Iphones as well as HTC, Motorola, and Samsung devices and do not wish having these issues on anyone. I've been there before and it sucks. I posted pics so I hope that helps.
    Last edited by iphoneFabe; 2010-08-24 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-24 01:45 AM
    I think you are right, maybe the JB on the 19th or running Cydia to unlock maybe saved my files on his server? Not sure. I am attaching a pic of what it now says above the Cydia welcome. Hope this helps anyone.

Here is what my Cyida says now:

Here is what you asked for:

Don't post much because I usually research and get it right the first time. Anyways, I had a feeling there would be people calling BS on me and that's fine. I am sorry that others are having issues as I have flashed Iphones as well as HTC, Motorola, and Samsung devices and do not wish having these issues on anyone. I've been there before and it sucks. I posted pics so I hope that helps.
    You weren't kidding. What's your ECID Fabe, if I may ask? You can grab it from Umbrella or Xcode if you have a Mac without going into DFU mode.
    2010-08-24 01:46 AM
    I'll pm it to you.

Orbyorb figured it out. He knows that technical stuff better than me.
    Last edited by iphoneFabe; 2010-08-24 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-24 03:29 AM
    I also have a 3GS that was on 3.1.2 but accedently upgraded to 4.0.2. Now I am unable to downgrade so I can unlock, iTunes gives me an error.
    2010-08-24 04:49 AM
    Kinda funny how all that say it is working just signed up and only have a few posts. Also if any of you do want to prove it and show cydia front page it is the SHSH at the top that I am interested in.
    I posted to thank the original poster of this method and that's all. I read this forum from time to time and usually never post. I know for a fact it worked for me. It may be coincidence, a fluke, or legit instructions, but it worked for me. I had nothing to lose by trying his instructions, no other methods had worked for me. I thank him again for sharing his results and providing me with a solution.
    Last edited by mingle2; 2010-08-24 at 05:27 AM.
    2010-08-24 05:17 AM
    He must be having an Ipod Touch 2Gen, Non MC model or earlier does not require shsh blogs to downgrade.
    To make the hosts file point back to Apple can be done by just adding the # sign infront of it, you don't need to delete it.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-08-24 at 06:54 AM.
    2010-08-24 06:47 AM
    I also have a 3GS that was on 3.1.2 but accedently upgraded to 4.0.2. Now I am unable to downgrade so I can unlock, iTunes gives me an error.
    First of all, thank you Dough Boy for the post and Dino for the video... it worked perfectly without any shsh.

Like Jvilleg5 I did the same stupid upgrade from original 3.0 to 4.0.2 iOS.

First of all, a friend asked to unlock her iPhone 3GS which was a gift from her uncle. He was using it in Japan with SoftBank carrier. Just to let everybody knows it has never been jailbreak'd and never used Umbrella to save SHSH.

So I will give some simple steps to downgrade, jailbreak and unlock carriers:

- Follow the video and don't bother about SHSH, until host redirect.

- On Mac OS you can just copy and paste this command on terminal window to open host file on Simple Text:

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/hosts
    (To work perfectly you need to have a non blank admin password on Mac, besides set a temporary one before running this command)

- Copy the host from the video, save and quit Simple Text

- Back to Terminal window flush the host cache with this command:

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

- Exit and quit

- Download original iPhone 4.0 iOS and follow the video setting iPhone to DFU mode and restoring (notice for Mac the correct key is Option/Alt while pressing Restore from iTunes)

- For me it doesn't gave any error message and I didn't delete the host info until all unlocking process

NOW LET'S JAILBREAK

- Lot's of people say you can only Jailbreak iOS 4.0 on 3GS only on previously jailbreak'd iPhones but is not true... Thanks to Comex for his Jailbreakme 2.0

- Just follow the instructions just bellow the first ads from this link: JailbreakMe 2.0: Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, and iPad on iOS 4, iOS 4.0.1, and iPad iOS 3.2.1

- After install Cydia, run it and update as necessary rebooting

NOW LET'S UNLOCK CARRIERS

- Just run Cydia again, search for UltraSnow and install it, reboot and... THAT'S ALL
    (if you need more details on this step with images just follow instructions on this link: iPhone 3G iOS 4 Jailbreak and Carrier Unlock Guide | The Buzz Media

Hope this is clear to understand and helps who need it.

2010-08-24 07:13 AM
    I posted to thank the original poster of this method and that's all. I read this forum from time to time and usually never post. I know for a fact it worked for me. It may be coincidence, a fluke, or legit instructions, but it worked for me. I had nothing to lose by trying his instructions, no other methods had worked for me. I thank him again for sharing his results and providing me with a solution.
    I thought that's what this forum is all about, helping each other out!

I really don't care if we figure out how it works as long as it does.

You're welcome again to the people that were able to use this, glad I was able to help.
    2010-08-24 07:44 AM
    I have unlocked another one also from Japan and SoftBank carrier...

Updated from 3.1.2 to 4.0.2 and tried about 3 times downgrade to 4.0.1 and 4.0 without success, but noticed my local carrier SIM card was inside.

Don't know if this makes sense, but when I replaced with the original SIM card from SoftBank it went fine..now downgrading to 4.0

Funny.
    2010-08-24 09:37 AM
    heloo Dough Boy and everyone pls help me with this problem
    i dl iso 4.0.1 try to downgrade my iphone but after dl 4.0.1 what i need to do next after dl 4.0.1 to desktop. bcecause when i try to do restore by shift+ restore i can not found iso 4.0.1 from i was DL early pls help me with this . what i need to do after i Dl 4.0.1 to my desktop ( need to unzip or uncompressed that file ) or not ?
    2010-08-24 08:29 PM
    heloo Dough Boy and everyone pls help me with this problem
    i dl iso 4.0.1 try to downgrade my iphone but after dl 4.0.1 what i need to do next after dl 4.0.1 to desktop. bcecause when i try to do restore by shift+ restore i can not found iso 4.0.1 from i was DL early pls help me with this . what i need to do after i Dl 4.0.1 to my desktop ( need to unzip or uncompressed that file ) or not ?
    Hello leoho....

Maybe is not the correct version of your iOS.
    You can download the correct one to your iPhone form this link:
    iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From

By the way, I could not downgrade to 4.0.1 but to 4.0, if you have success just let us know.
    2010-08-24 11:29 PM
    Does the only work on the 3GS? I can't seem to get it to work on my Iphone 4.
    2010-08-25 03:25 AM
146 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD