Where is the link to this video? Thanks
    2010-08-25 06:27 PM
    Where is the link to this video? Thanks
    The first message of this topic.
    2010-08-25 06:40 PM
    Ok the downgrading process to 4.0.1 from 4.0.2 seems to work. The phone starts up again but the phone is locked since it asks to insert a valid sim card! I need help!!
    2010-08-25 10:45 PM
    Ok the downgrading process to 4.0.1 from 4.0.2 seems to work. The phone starts up again but the phone is locked since it asks to insert a valid sim card! I need help!!
    Well, I have the original SIM cards from the carriers and activated it, but if you do not, maybe you can unlock with Pwnage, Redsn0w or else.
    You must check other topics on this forum.
    2010-08-25 11:05 PM
    This 'method' doesn't work without stored SHSHs. How do I know? Well, the video asks you to edit the hosts file. If you weren't using stored SHSHs, then why redirect iTunes to Cydia's server?

You may not understand it, but it is a fact. Only with stored SHSHs is it possible to downgrade all the newer iDevices.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.
    2010-08-26 12:34 AM
    This 'method' doesn't work without stored SHSHs. How do I know? Well, the video asks you to edit the hosts file. If you weren't using stored SHSHs, then why redirect iTunes to Cydia's server?

You may not understand it, but it is a fact. Only with stored SHSHs is it possible to downgrade all the newer iDevices.
    How do you know based on a video?? I have downgraded 2 3GS iPhones and some readers here also WITHOUT SHSH.

So are you telling we are faking it? We did on our iPhones and you are supposing based on a video?? Jville asked some help and he just did, only missing the original SIM card... are you telling he just fake it??

If you are not going to say something useful just don't say and let others help people instead of supposing something that is not true.
    Last edited by Curupira; 2010-08-26 at 12:56 AM.
    2010-08-26 12:54 AM
    Use tiny umbrella first it stores shah on your pc and to cydia,then follow the video.
    2010-08-26 01:21 AM
    How do you know based on a video?? I have downgraded 2 3GS iPhones and some readers here also WITHOUT SHSH.

So are you telling we are faking it? We did on our iPhones and you are supposing based on a video?? Jville asked some help and he just did, only missing the original SIM card... are you telling he just fake it??

If you are not going to say something useful just don't say and let others help people instead of supposing something that is not true.
    I understand people's cynicism, but if they would actually TRY it then post, that would settle everything. Hell, I was reading all over the net with no success until Doughboy posted his results. That's science, its just a theory until you try and prove it. However for people who are having trouble trying this:

Like a previous poster stated: The Very First step that I did was to use tinyumbrella to backup 4.0.2 ("Save My SHSH"), then proceeded with the video instructions. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mingle2; 2010-08-26 at 01:28 AM.
    2010-08-26 01:25 AM
    Can I use blackra1n to unlock?
    2010-08-26 01:37 AM
    You have to jail break 1st before network unlock.
    2010-08-26 04:13 AM
    Hey XMike,

You can downgrade to 4.0 or maybe 4.0.1 and then JB it.
    I did it on 2 iPhones that just came from Japan and if was not on only one I can confirm that's true, believe me.
    Just follow previous instructions on earlier replies.

Don't pay attention to those who say isn't possible JB updated 3GS iphones.

Good luck.
    Thanks but either way I'm still doing this on a Mac that doesn't have the files set up as the video shows / explains.
    2010-08-26 06:38 AM

No true at all. Please read my post page or two back.

What I did:

- Edit host file and add ip from video
    - Download firmware 4.0 (from this site btw)
    - run itunes, hold lock and home on iPhone, then restore with shift
    - then again with firmware 4.0.1 (from this site again)
    - jailbreakme.com - slide
    - delete added ip from host file

This is it, no additional software no errors after start up no science. Just to repeat, it was brand new iphone unpacked few days ago. I am not sure what was previous firmware as I updated it to 4.0.2 immediately.
    2010-08-26 10:07 AM
    I went from a 3.1.2 JB'd Iphone 32gb 3gs to 4.02 tonight because when I opened Cydia it said I had all my SHSH files saved blah blah w/e the hell the message said. Now I can't downgrade to 4.0.1 before I kept getting the 3194 error but now I get the 3002 error saying my shsh files aren't on the server or are being rejected. I even tried the 3.1.2 restore and it wouldn't let me.. Blah i don't even really care aobut the jailbreak part anymore its just I lost my saved game for Angry Birds (3 stars on every level) and I really don't want to do it again.
    2010-08-26 10:10 AM

Then explain to me why you wrote in the Cydia server's IP in the hosts file if you're not using stored SHSHs? I assume that since you're lecturing me, you know what you're talking about.

I understand people's cynicism, but if they would actually TRY it then post, that would settle everything. Hell, I was reading all over the net with no success until Doughboy posted his results. That's science, its just a theory until you try and prove it. However for people who are having trouble trying this:

Like a previous poster stated: The Very First step that I did was to use tinyumbrella to backup 4.0.2 ("Save My SHSH"), then proceeded with the video instructions. Hope this helps.
    Why type the IP into the hosts file if you're not using SHSHs?

No true at all. Please read my post page or two back.

What I did:

- Edit host file and add ip from video
    - Download firmware 4.0 (from this site btw)
    - run itunes, hold lock and home on iPhone, then restore with shift
    - then again with firmware 4.0.1 (from this site again)
    - jailbreakme.com - slide
    - delete added ip from host file

This is it, no additional software no errors after start up no science. Just to repeat, it was brand new iphone unpacked few days ago. I am not sure what was previous firmware as I updated it to 4.0.2 immediately.
    Why edit the hosts file?
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.
    2010-08-26 02:11 PM
    Why edit the hosts file?
    I dont know really and I agree it doesnt make much sense. BUT thats what I did during successful downgrade.
    2010-08-26 03:01 PM
    I'm not new to this site but I had to register just I could post my results. I followed this video to the T and it worked perfectly. I gave my son my old 3GS when I purchased iPhone4. It was never JB before. I had never tried to JB any of my iPhone's until jailbreakme came out so there were no shsh blobs saved. I had read everywhere where 4.0.2 could not be downgraded but I decided to give the video a shot with little expectation of success but it did the trick and now my son's 3GS is JB. Thanks to the poster.
    2010-08-26 05:11 PM
    Thanks but either way I'm still doing this on a Mac that doesn't have the files set up as the video shows / explains.
    Mike,

I am also using Mac, just take a look on earlier messages from me where I have explained all process.
    Notice that Mac also have host file, just check to correct path.

Then explain to me why you wrote in the Cydia server's IP in the hosts file if you're not using stored SHSHs? I assume that since you're lecturing me, you know what you're talking about.

Why type the IP into the hosts file if you're not using SHSHs?

Why edit the hosts file?
    When you upgrade or downgrade the 3GS, iTunes contact Apple, so you are unable to do it.
    So, editing the host file is a work around and as I have never JB these 2 iPhones, was being used by friends in Japan, they never JB'd because were using the original SoftBank carrier. This mean Cydia could never have he SHSH from these phones.
    Maybe you can redirect the IPs to localhost and maybe it works, who knows? You can try it, I didn't because it worked, so stop trying to move the world backwards, it happened and you can't stop something that already happened, understand???
    Last edited by Curupira; 2010-08-26 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-26 08:39 PM
    works great. went from 4.0.2 to 4.0 Thank You Dough Boy.
    2010-08-26 08:54 PM
    Has anyone done this with 4.0.2 out of box iphone 4
    2010-08-26 09:01 PM
    New member here. Signed up because this worked for my new 3gs that I upgraded to 4.0.2 as soon as I pulled out of the box before I ever thought about jailbreaking it. I had no clue that I had ruined my chance of jb since I new nothing about SHSH files and stuff like that. Well after following this thread, that wasn't the case.

I followed the video closely but there was one little thing I did different. When editing the host file, you should use "TAB" between the ip and the host name. After a few tries and some brick scares, I managed to get a handle on downgrading and recovering back to 4.0.2. It found it to be pretty easy after a few trial and error runs.

To break it down, I just keep the host file open so I can add/remove the (#)remark. Put the phone into recovery mode, do the shift/restore and point to either 4.0 or 4.0.1 and let her rip. After it verifies against the dummy server(the one you put in the host file), you can add the "#" and hit save so it can activate through the itunes server when its down loading the os. I did not have any problems with it getting stuck in recovery mode where I had to kick it using umbrella but it sounds like YMMV. After that I tried jailbreakme.com/index.htm (because the root address alone isn't working for some reason)and low and behold, it worked.

So another successful 4.0.2 to 4.0/4.0.1 with JB!. I've been wanting to learn more about this stuff since hacking xbox 360s got me interested in this kind of thing. I did try to roll back to 3.1.3 with no success, but I assume this is where you would need your SHSH files to accomplish that. But hey, I don't need it. I just wanted to unlock it and have Cydia on my phone. Mission accomplished.
    Last edited by r8derhed5150; 2010-08-26 at 10:12 PM. Reason: t.m.i.
    2010-08-26 10:07 PM
146 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD