Ok so here is the story i was able to get 4.0.0 on my 3gs and got it sim unlocked and so on but i started having issues with cydia so i decided to restore to factory 4.0.2 then downgrade to 4.0.1 and re jailbreak some were along the line my 3gs **** a brick .. i can get it into dfu mode and itunes realizes it is in recovery mode but when i try to load any firmware on it it extracts and does everything normal right up until preparing iphone (in itunes) then hangs and my 3gs changes from connect to i tunes to the screen with the apple and the progress bar which never moves thne itunes errors out and spits the 1603 error

i have tried over and over restarting putting in diffrent usb ports and setting recovery mode using the home / power button to no avail

im wondering if there is anyone out there that can help or knows a way by usb force the firmware without itunes or *anything*

i can't get shell access i don't think because the phone just freezes when i try and let it boot normal right at the apple screen with the broken pixels

thoughts and idea's would be appreciated
    2010-08-22 11:24 PM
    Try it on a different pc, if it hangs there, then there is some conflicts that you have installed on the pc. You can check that by pulling out the cable and Itunes still hangs there. You will have to start the task manager and end the process in order to close Itunes. Your iphone will go back to recovery mode.
    2010-08-24 07:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD