As a total noob at all things to do with jailbreaking, I'd like to ask a few questions.

1.My iPhone 3GS is on 4.0.2 firmware. Can I downgrade this to a firmware that is jailbreakable?

2.Is it risky?

3.Would it be wiser for me to wait for a new jailbreak for 4.0.2?

4.If a jailbreak fails is the phone f**ked or can the old firmware be restored somehow?

Thanks in advance!
    2010-09-07 03:14 PM
    If you have saved shsh files on previous firmwares then yes u can downgrade really easy...if u haven't then just wait for 4.1
    2010-09-07 03:22 PM
    What are SHSH files and are they saved automatically by my phone or od I have to save them somehow.

I said I was a noob hehe
    2010-09-07 04:19 PM
    You have allot of reading to do, here is a good place to start. Apple, iPhone, iPad and iPod Guides | ModMyi.com
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter
    2010-09-07 04:30 PM
    This is also a good read on downgrading. Written by the creator of Cydia. Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.
    2010-09-07 07:14 PM
    Thanks guys, I'll give them a read.

P.s How long approximately will it be before a jailbreak for 4.0.2 iphones is available?
    2010-09-07 08:21 PM
    There will not be a jb for 4.0.2 there will be a jb for 4.1 most likely. 4.1 drops tomorrow so we may see a jb in the following weeks.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter
    2010-09-07 08:36 PM
    Just read this

As I want to jailbreak my phone, should I upgrade to 4.1 or leave it at 4.0.2?
    Last edited by twalsh; 2010-09-08 at 05:00 PM.
    2010-09-08 01:31 PM
    As a total noob at all things to do with jailbreaking, I'd like to ask a few questions.

1.My iPhone 3GS is on 4.0.2 firmware. Can I downgrade this to a firmware that is jailbreakable?

2.Is it risky?

3.Would it be wiser for me to wait for a new jailbreak for 4.0.2?

4.If a jailbreak fails is the phone f**ked or can the old firmware be restored somehow?

Thanks in advance!
    1. Possibly
    2. No
    3. 4.0.2 as stated will not be jailbroken.
    4. you can just click restore and it goes back to factory, completely reversible.

A few things for you to check. See if you have the old or new bootrom on your iPhone. Check settings>general>about and look at your model # if it starts with MC then it is the new bootrom and your probably stuck there for now until a JB comes for 4.1.

If it is MB or anything else it is the old bootrom and you have a chance of downgrading. From here you can just hope somehow there is a SHSH blob on file for your phone.

Google how to redirect apples server to sauriks with the gs.apple.com deal and do that. Then download an official 4.0 firmware.

Open the newest version of iTunes. put iphone into recovery mode, connect to computer, click shift + restore, point iTunes to where you saved your 4.0 firmware and select. If all goes well, apple will be pointed back to sauriks servers to look for an SHSH blob and if there is one the 4.0 firmware will be verified by 'apple' and your good to go. It will downgrade you to 4.0 and you can resync all your data and your back to normal with the ability to jailbreak via jailbreakme.com

Ignore any alerts to upgrade

I hope this works for you as it did for me. if it doesnt simply restore to factory and resync and you right back where you started, no harm done!

Good Luck!
    2010-09-08 07:15 PM
    A few things for you to check. See if you have the old or new bootrom on your iPhone. Check settings>general>about and look at your model # if it starts with MC then it is the new bootrom and your probably stuck there for now until a JB comes for 4.1.
    Unfortunately it's an MC model. Thanks for your help though.

P.s Should I be updating my phone to ios 4.1?
    2010-09-08 11:19 PM

If it is MB or anything else it is the old bootrom and you have a chance of downgrading. From here you can just hope somehow there is a SHSH blob on file for your phone.
    Just for info, what you said isn't true. Model number can't be used to determine anything useful with regards to a 3GS phone. While it's true that MB/MC can be used to determine the bootrom of the ipod touch 2g, it's not the case for the 3GS phone. A 3GS can be both MC and MB with old bootrom, and it can be both MC and MB with new bootrom.

The only real way to test which bootrom a 3GS has is to put it in DFU or recovery mode and check the version yourself.
    2010-09-08 11:50 PM
    Does anyone know if I should update my phone to ios 4.1? I want to jailbreak but I can't on 4.0.2.
    2010-09-09 04:21 PM
    Does anyone know if I should update my phone to ios 4.1? I want to jailbreak but I can't on 4.0.2.
    Not yet. They're working on a jb for 4.1

Before I say if you can downgrade. Have you jailbroken your phone before, and what did you use to jb it?
    2010-09-09 04:27 PM
    No I haven't jailbroken my phone before.
    2010-09-09 06:04 PM
    If you want to downgrade, try pointing your hosts file to Cydia's server. You might get lucky and the SHSH for your phone will be there.

You can find out how to do that in the link I posted earlier in this thread.
    2010-09-09 06:05 PM
    Ok so I add the Cydia address to the host file, then what? I really don't want to f**k my phone up so I need to get it clear in my head what I'm doing before I do it.
    2010-09-09 06:44 PM
    If you want to downgrade, try pointing your hosts file to Cydia's server. You might get lucky and the SHSH for your phone will be there.

You can find out how to do that in the link I posted earlier in this thread.
    this.

Ok so I add the Cydia address to the host file, then what? I really don't want to f**k my phone up so I need to get it clear in my head what I'm doing before I do it.
    Download 4.0 or 4.0.1 firmware, then open up itunes and try and see if you can downgrade.

When I downgraded, I just followed these steps: http://www.redmondpie.com/downgrade-...-how-to-guide/

godspeed
    Last edited by lastactionhero; 2010-09-09 at 07:02 PM.
    2010-09-09 06:52 PM
    When I downgraded, I just followed these steps:

I haven't saved any SHSH blobs on cydia so I can't do that.
    2010-09-09 08:05 PM
    Sometimes, for odd reasons, Cydia will have a stored SHSH even though a phone hasn't been jailbroken before. You should give it a shot.
    2010-09-09 08:13 PM

Sometimes, for odd reasons, Cydia will have a stored SHSH even though a phone hasn't been jailbroken before. You should give it a shot.
    This, cause Cydia tells me that I have SHSH blobs for 4.0 and 4.0.2 and I upgraded from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1. Unless that's common, still. Try it anyway. What do you got to lose?
    Last edited by lastactionhero; 2010-09-09 at 08:35 PM.
    2010-09-09 08:31 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD