User Tag List

Hi there,

My o2 contract finally ran out and I have moved my number to tmobile. Anyhoo on my iphone I have a lot of text messages I want before I give the phone to a mate. In the past I have jailbroken my phone (I couldnt tell you when - though I do know it was on ios 3.x) to get previous sms's off. However looking at my iphone through itunes it would seem that I have at some point upgraded the ios to 4.1.

So I figured the best way to get my texts off would be to downgrade to a previous ios which has been jailbroken. I have had luck with redsnow using ios 4.0 which does seem to install cydia on my phone BUT

1) For some reason even when I have unrestricted wifi access my phone will not connect to the internet - so cant download cydia apps - oddly though I can connect to my router, but anything outside of my home network just fails feebely. I thought that maybe it was the router blocking access but I double checked all settings and no joy there. Also connected to a public access network and same issues occured.

2) The phone option is gone from the handset. Very odd. I popped in my mates sim card (he is also on o2) and I could text the phone happily (and he could text back), and I could phone it and he could answer the call. But we just couldnt make a call from the phone.

Can anyone shed any light on what the feck is going on and how in gods name I can successfully jailbreak the damn handset. Id be really grateful for any pointers.
    2010-10-08 10:51 AM
    Just connect your 3G and do a back....then restore that backup on the new phone....no need to downgrade
    2010-10-08 12:07 PM
    You used the wrong redsn0w that's why it's not working properly. Restore to 4.1 and use redsn0w 0.9.6.
    2010-10-08 12:26 PM
    If you have recently synced your iPhone with iTunes, it should have a backup. If not, sync it and do a backup, then restore it from that backup (this will get rid of the current jailbreak, but keep all your other stuff). Once that is done, you can use redsn0w to jailbreak it, and then can get the sms.db file via SSH. (Note: before you restore to the backup, have a check on google or something to make sure iTunes will backup your texts, I'm not sure if they get kept during the backup process, I think they do but double check before you do anything).

I think this will work, though it may be best for someone to confirm this before you do anything. Hope this helps.

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    2010-10-08 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD