Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could put the good features of 1.1.3 (like locate me, movie rentals, and easy icon arrangement) onto an installer package that could work for 1.1.1 because I have an ipod touch and im not paying $20 just to watch rented movies. I think if someone could do that it would be much better than upgrading.
    2008-01-16 03:43 AM
    I was just about to PM someone to ask if that was possible, but I probably won't get a response, so thanks for writing my exact ideas on this thread
    2008-01-16 02:05 PM
    1)Some of the 1.1.3 features must be able to be obtained if a native app was made. (but not all updates)

2)On the other hand the apps might depend on the 1.1.3 firmware

but this was done when the 1.1.2 version included an add event button in the calendar and we were able to install it via installer.

so i stick to my first hypothesis.
    ~Jayy
    2008-01-18 12:27 AM
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could put the good features of 1.1.3 (like locate me, movie rentals, and easy icon arrangement) onto an installer package that could work for 1.1.1 because I have an ipod touch and im not paying $20 just to watch rented movies. I think if someone could do that it would be much better than upgrading.
    1) I mean to say this as politely as I can: this is the wrong forum to ask

2) Locate Me depends on cell tower information. The iPod Touch is not a cellphone.

3) Movie rentals: This will most likely be a free update, unless Steven Jobs hates money.

4) Easy icon arrangement: I am under the impression that there are already third party apps for this, though without the wiggle.
    2008-01-18 02:46 AM
    1) I mean to say this as politely as I can: this is the wrong forum to ask

2) Locate Me depends on cell tower information. The iPod Touch is not a cellphone.

3) Movie rentals: This will most likely be a free update, unless Steven Jobs hates money.

4) Easy icon arrangement: I am under the impression that there are already third party apps for this, though without the wiggle.
    1) I put this in here because it applys to both. Im sure some iPhone owners would like to keep their old firmware with some of the new features
    2) actually, the iPod Touch uses wifi to do "locate me". It isn't as good, but its possible
    3) Right after I posted this, I realized that iPod Touch owners only have to pay for iphone apps so I could get movie rentals for free, but I still have to upgrade to 1.1.3 (which I probably will after its jailbroken, now that I know its free)
    4) I know you can already arrange icons, I just used that as an example of the new features (and its easier on 1.1.3)
    2008-01-18 03:17 AM
    It might be one day possible, but we need to unlock 1.1.3 first so we can get the files .
    Thanks,
    Matt
    2008-01-18 03:22 AM
    Here is my take on this topic.
    1. $20 upgrade? Screw that! I can see why people want these features for free. Why should they have to pay for them
    2. My location is practically useless on a touch. Unless you are wandering around the world and find a starbucks or something so you can run inside and use the locate me and get directions (rather than just stopping somewhere, anywhere to get directions). Bottom line, gps-like functionality on the ipod touch is more a "look what my ipod can do!" bragging right than anything else.
    3. I think iphone users who have 1.1.2 unlocked and are thinking of upgrading to 1.1.3 would not even think about it if the new google maps was usable. In fact if this is something we can do (tranfer apps from newer versions of iphone) there is no reason to ever go past 1.1.2 My guess is, however, that these apps will do a firmware check (if not now, they will in the future) so if/when the firmwares are cracked we won't have a functional app on a lower firmware (unless we do even more cracking) The wheels just keep on turning
    2008-01-18 07:48 AM
    1.) You just payed 300/400$ for an iTouch. The apple developers worked very hard on the apps and they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, they want to get payed.
    2.) While in NYC, I was lost on some random street that had a McDonalds, without getting out of my car, within the 35 seconds the light was red I got the wifi signal, found my location and directions to the restaurant I was looking for. It actually does stuff.
    3.) I bet someone could easily code an application that does re-aranges while in springboard, but it would probably require you to execute the app, and then it would pop-up a bar that said save and the icons would wiggle. When done you hit save and it launches back to springboard.
    2008-01-19 03:45 AM
    1.) You just payed 300/400$ for an iTouch. The apple developers worked very hard on the apps and they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, they want to get payed.
    2.) While in NYC, I was lost on some random street that had a McDonalds, without getting out of my car, within the 35 seconds the light was red I got the wifi signal, found my location and directions to the restaurant I was looking for. It actually does stuff.
    3.) I bet someone could easily code an application that does re-aranges while in springboard, but it would probably require you to execute the app, and then it would pop-up a bar that said save and the icons would wiggle. When done you hit save and it launches back to springboard.
    1. They are including it in new ipod touches... and the price has not changed. They developed it for the iphone primarily and its free. They didn't take extra time to develop it for the itouch. its the same damn thing!
    2. Good for you. Still, this is NYC we are speaking of. 99% of the rest of America (I won't even speak of the rest of the world) isn;t as jam packed and busy as NYC. Hance my statement of "NEARLY worthless"
    3. Yes, but since there is something that does the same thing, without the wiggling, I doubt anyone is going to waste their time so that setting up your screen (which isn't something that the average user does often) will look neat. Customize = new wiggling thing (don;t know what I would call that feature, lol) minus the wiggling.
    2008-01-19 03:59 AM
    1. whatever
    2. I have an iphone, so the updated google maps would be 148798% useful
    3. It would be cool to have, but customize does the same thing... wiggling is always fun though
    2008-01-19 04:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD