have u made it no..noobs i make it myself then
    2008-05-17 12:12 PM
    who has a patent on it? i doubt it.
    2008-05-17 07:38 PM
    Patent, some kind of joke, you can make any app you like for yourself and customise it for your needs. I wasnt thinking of selling this app it be totally free.
    2008-05-17 09:15 PM
    I currently use a Palm app called Workout Tracker (by Stand Alone SW - Stand Alone, Inc. - Handheld Software - Workout Tracker for Palm OS Product Page ). It's one of the things I'm waiting for to move to an iPhone & be able to pretty much leave the Palm @ work.
    2008-05-20 01:35 AM
    if i can be of any help at all with the making of this app, then please ask.

the way i see it, the app doesnt have to be that involved, just like a kinda spreadsheeet where u can type in exercise, set number, weight, reps and record the day and date.

not to involved and would be extremely handy...
    heading over to fitsync.com to check it out, but would really love a native non web based app to use quickly whereever whenever
    2008-05-20 01:42 AM
    Hi reeko tried to get some support on this but no one has bothered to reply and seems like kids on this forum not real programmers or people serious about making apps, I'm not good at apple programming more java and windows but see if we can get a draft going
    2008-05-20 08:51 AM
    well magic ... could it be that the lack of support is due to real programmers respecting patents? guys, a word of advice from someone who's been in programming for 20 years you gotta respect patents, trademarks, copyright and all that legal stuff to save yourself a lot of heartache.
    2008-05-31 08:12 AM
    I find it hard to believe that your not allowed to make any app based on fitness, diet or exercise because someone already has a patent. You can't patent a genre. That's like saying Stephen Spelburg has a patent on action movies.
    Last edited by reznor9; 2008-05-31 at 07:02 PM.
    2008-05-31 06:59 PM
    If you do teh research you'll find that patents are quite specific.

meanwhile, here's a link to check out:
    Apple - Web apps - Sports.
    FitSync is #1 in the Sports category for iPhone apps on Apple.com and a STaff Pick.
    Last edited by BBPress; 2008-06-01 at 09:21 PM.
    2008-05-31 11:24 PM
    don't let this patent bull stop you.

It is probably some Nike / Apple person trying to stop people from using an app other than their future app which will be released soon.

please make one that is free and native before Nike does.
    2008-06-01 12:34 AM
    I'm not tring to be sarcastic but how does that work? Does Goodyear have a patent on tires? Or just specific tread design? Does microsoft have a patent on all voice recognition software throughout the world, thus not allowing anyone else to develop anything similar?someone must be mistaken, if you patent an entire genre of software it leaves no competition, thus creating a monopoly... Which I know to be illegal. Like the post above states, patents have to be specific... They can't be so vauge as to cancel out an entire category of software development.
    Last edited by reznor9; 2008-06-01 at 03:01 PM.
    2008-06-01 02:58 PM
    well magic ... could it be that the lack of support is due to real programmers respecting patents? guys, a word of advice from someone who's been in programming for 20 years you gotta respect patents, trademarks, copyright and all that legal stuff to save yourself a lot of heartache.
    You sound mightily confused!

So there will never be another fitness / gym tracking app cos of some mysterious patent?
    To live, you have to lie
    2008-06-01 03:05 PM
    lol, a patent. how rediculous.

do nintendo get money for gba, snes and nes roms that are played on the iphone? ive never paid nintendo a penny for them.....

this app would be the easiest to make, and for me very useful!
    2008-06-04 12:11 AM
    lol, a patent. how rediculous.

do nintendo get money for gba, snes and nes roms that are played on the iphone? ive never paid nintendo a penny for them.....

this app would be the easiest to make, and for me very useful!
    good point...
    2008-06-04 03:44 AM
    fitsync is a web based app for gosh sakes, u need to be online each time u access it and pay for it, were as the app i want is like ofline version
    2008-06-07 03:50 PM
    Folks,

Patents cover "Software Algorithms" and "Look-and-Feel". For example, if I develop a super compression algorithm, I can apply for a patent, if the technique is unique, non-obvious, and not based on prior art. "Look-and-Feel" covers specific art-form. So I cannot just duplicate someone else's custom controls and just rename my App from FitSync to GetFit and expect that to fly.

Anyone can develop a Fitness App as long as it doesn't use FitSync's algorithms (which I don't think has any value), or FitSync's exact UI.

FitSync may be a good App, don't know, but it doesn't prevent anyone from developing their own.
    2008-06-07 05:29 PM
    please see my above statement and answer that. what are nintendo going to do about using their roms?

and what would fitsync do about developing an app similar to theirs?

i guess your right though, ill stop downloading torrents aswell in case the FBI shut me down and there is no way i am going to answer my phone whilst driving anymore, imagine if the police caught me doing that. every time i walk my dog i will also pick up the poo in case a policeman happens to be watching, and ill never drive 35 MPH in a 30 limit again.

if there is a developer here that isnt a complete square please can you develop a simple app that can be useful to log a workout exercises + weight + sets + reps.

thanks.
    2008-06-08 05:30 AM
    I know you wanted a native application, but I've been really happy with Menshealth.com's personal trainer (although this is a pay service). For basic recording of your worksout couldn't you just create an excel spreadsheet with your most common exercises, SSH it onto your iPhone, and just fill in your weight/reps each day?
    Last edited by Rosbaughcr; 2008-06-11 at 04:22 AM.
    2008-06-11 02:39 AM
    Hey IbuySDKApps, where'd you go to law school? Did you pick up those pearls of wisdom on survivor? This is like listening to some guys in a bar debating about how they'd run Microsoft or Oracle or Apple or Congress better.

Software patents are no different from other patents in that they can cover very detailed processes such as algorithms or very broad methods of use. If it is patented, it is patented and you need to respect it.

As a professional you have a duty to do some research to make sure your work does not infringe on existing patents, copyrights, or trademarks. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone stealing YOUR work and calling it their own, correct? Whether it is work for hire or your own project, you are in for a world of heartache if you don't act professionally. Seriously, anyone want to built a new app called "windows?"

It isn't just the big boys like IBM, Apple, Microsoft, etc. who care about their intellectual property. Ford ignored a small inventor's patent for the intermittent windshield wiper back in the 60s. Small inventor enforced his rights and got a huge settlement from Ford. If Ford had respected the patent and licensed it they would have been fine and paid out a fraction of the settlement. Anyone remember the Blackberry/RIM patent issue recently?

I admit to being a 'square' but being square will keep you employed. Why don't you children do something original instead of copying someone else's work?
    2008-06-11 10:41 PM
    Hey IbuySDKApps, where'd you go to law school? Did you pick up those pearls of wisdom on survivor? This is like listening to some guys in a bar debating about how they'd run Microsoft or Oracle or Apple or Congress better.

Software patents are no different from other patents in that they can cover very detailed processes such as algorithms or very broad methods of use. If it is patented, it is patented and you need to respect it.

As a professional you have a duty to do some research to make sure your work does not infringe on existing patents, copyrights, or trademarks. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone stealing YOUR work and calling it their own, correct? Whether it is work for hire or your own project, you are in for a world of heartache if you don't act professionally. Seriously, anyone want to built a new app called "windows?"

It isn't just the big boys like IBM, Apple, Microsoft, etc. who care about their intellectual property. Ford ignored a small inventor's patent for the intermittent windshield wiper back in the 60s. Small inventor enforced his rights and got a huge settlement from Ford. If Ford had respected the patent and licensed it they would have been fine and paid out a fraction of the settlement. Anyone remember the Blackberry/RIM patent issue recently?

I admit to being a 'square' but being square will keep you employed. Why don't you children do something original instead of copying someone else's work?
    such wise words, and yes your technically right, morally right and yes, a complete and utter square.

my wise words to you would be, nice guys finish last.

now back to the topic at hand, the excel idea is practically what it would be, just a load of excel pages inside of an app......
    2008-06-12 07:15 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD