I have a suggestion to make for a new project. The other day I dropped my iPhone straight on the silent/ring hardware button. The phone was in silent mode when it happened and because the button was broken I couldnt switch it back.

At first I thought I was the only one with the problem but I quickly found out that the same has happened to many people which made me wonder if there is not an application which overules the hardware button using a software button on the springboard and perhaps with enhancement, for example a scheduler to switch from silent to ring.

Because of my problem (pretty useless iPhone if I cant hear it) I am willing to pay for such solution and I am pretty sure that with me there will be many others.

Thoughts?

Dries
    2008-01-29 10:58 PM
    dang... that really stinks man. sorry to hear that! i don't know anything about programming but it doesn't sound like it would be that hard... im sure someone could do it
    2008-01-30 05:48 AM
    yea this would be cool coz i keep nockin the volume buttons on the side, when listening to ipod. so an app to override the buttons on the outside would be cool
    2008-01-30 11:22 AM
    Indeed I can see many reasons why such an app would be usefull. Fixing the broken switch problem would only be one of them but I am yet to find somebody who can do it:-(
    2008-02-02 04:22 PM
    It would be sweet if you could set the times that it was on silent, then I wouldn't have to remember to flip it to silent when I'm at classses, etc.
    2008-02-02 05:41 PM
    Indeed, when you search the internet and forums like these you see many, many suggestions like yours and mine but somehow nobody wrote an app so far that could do it. I would love to write it myself but I wouldnt know where to start :-(
    2008-02-02 05:48 PM
    I was just about to request this app!

So since about the 2nd week of having my iphone, i have been using an otter box case. i love the case so much, it has protected my phone from soooo much damage - i drop it all the time, i spill soda on it occasionally, and sometimes even sit on it. However, it protects the iphone too much, because the ONLY feature it does not allow to work when the phone is in the case is the SILENT button.

I only ever need my phone ON and on SILENT in college, for i use it for notes, todo lists, etc.

If anyone could make an an app, that when pressed does the equivalent of the silent switch, i;d be soo happy! and i'd donate too!!!
    2008-02-03 03:52 AM
    PLEASE someone write this app. I would be willing to donate as well for this app. It would be cheaper then having the it mechanically fixed. I dropped mine right on the corner too. The switch toggles, but it doesnt actually do anything. Right now its stuck on silence mode, which is killing me. theres a dent by the switch so im pretty sure (based on reading other people's experiences) that Apple will not cover the repair under warranty and i've heard a replacement/fix costs like $199.99.

Someone Help!
    2008-02-10 07:21 AM
    Yea u might as well get a new one when it comes to reparing it
    2008-02-10 10:39 AM
    PLEASE someone write this app. I would be willing to donate as well for this app. It would be cheaper then having the it mechanically fixed. I dropped mine right on the corner too. The switch toggles, but it doesnt actually do anything. Right now its stuck on silence mode, which is killing me. theres a dent by the switch so im pretty sure (based on reading other people's experiences) that Apple will not cover the repair under warranty and i've heard a replacement/fix costs like $199.99.

Someone Help!
    dude. go to State Farm Insurance. Me and my bf each have an iphone. We both got our phones covered for $50/yr. ZERO DOLLAR ($0) deductible. Anything is included except an act of terrorism or war (theft, rain, threw it at a baby, etc.)

If you do go to a state farm and they say they wont cover you, don't get discouraged... go to a different one. We had to go to 2 or 3 until we found one who would write us a policy.
    2008-02-21 09:07 AM
    was this app created? I got my iphone a week ago.. today gravity took over and the butten is gone! and just to piss me off its on silent ll the time now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help... I need to switch it back to ringer using a software
    2008-02-22 04:48 PM
    No it hasnt been created yet, nor has any developer looked at this post yet :-( I am really in need of this app as well and willing to pay for it.
    2008-02-27 08:12 PM
    Alright for all of you that have dropped your iphone and broke the ringer/silent switch this may fix it for you. It is not an extremely difficult install. I would assume when you dropped it it broke the little piece of plastic that is actually the little switch. (not the one you physically move, but the one that goes into the back of it)
    iPhone OEM Headphone Audio Jack ON OFF Switch Cable

This cable is a replacement cable for the one that is inside the iphone. I have replaced it before and its not that difficult. They run like $10-15 on ebay.

If you have the courage to open up your iphone this would probably fix your issue for a few bucks.
    2008-03-01 09:49 PM
    Im still looking for a developer to make this app...I miss so many calls when its on vibrate. I dont want to mess around with the inside of the iphone and risk messing anything up. it can't be THAT difficult to write a program for this right? i mean in comparison to whats out there now. People spend time writing pointless applications like a digital piano or ants crawling over your screen, so whats a little bit of time to write a useful app?
    2008-03-05 10:16 PM
    Switch is hardware so is jumping two points for it to work.

Software would need to know what happens when 2 points jumped to be able to turn on/off via software.

Problem is switch works like mute and once on and 2 points not connected no real way of getting sound back on.

maybe switch is actually connecting speaker wire, which would mean if bad switch no way to get sound back.

Coudl be difficult if maybe not possible to get ringer sound back on broken switch. But for working phones a app could be made just to mute phone on/off
    2008-03-05 10:43 PM
    Well that is actually the most annoying part of it because I know for a fact that the switch does not connect the speaker wire because I can choose a new ringtone and every morning, my alarm wakes me up so the speaker works fine. Just when someone calls me, it only vibrates. Once again, I am willing to pay someone to write this and with me many others.
    2008-03-05 11:14 PM
    im with you dtromp, ill put some money down on it too. i also use mine every morning for my alarm (and throw it across the room so that i HAVE to get up). I have just been using my earphones a lot more. I can hear the ringer and also its easier to hear. i only need a temporary solution because i plan on buying the 3g iphone whenever that is, but still willing to pay for it.

dtromp, do you think we should start a thread with a title that offers to pay for the solution? Im sure Developers see the topic here and there and just skip right over it. Theres probably just not enough demand for it so they feel it's not worth their time.
    2008-03-06 04:07 AM
    I think that is a really good suggestion R34, or would it be possible to rename a threat?
    2008-03-06 10:38 PM
    i couldnt find a way to change the thread title. how much are you willing to put down towards the program? imsure theres more peoplethan just us who have this problem. maybe we can get somw sort of money pool together.
    2008-03-07 12:09 PM
    I know for sure that there are others with the same problem, do a search on "iphone broken silent switch" on google and you will see. I would be willing to pay something around 75 dollar.
    2008-03-07 10:45 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD