User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you agree?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

102 96.23%
  • No

4 3.77%
    I don't know how hard this would be but it would definately be worth it. If the iphone could sync wirelessly over wi-fi or even over edge or 3g that would be perfect. It should be able to sync music, videos, podcasts, calendar, and contacts.
    2008-10-04 01:48 AM
    syncing over 3g or edge would be painfully slow... wifi would be noticabley slower than USB as well. I only reall see utility in this if you are for some reason unable to find your cable. Otherwise I would always choosed wired over wireless.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
    2008-10-04 04:57 AM
    Or if you just put a few songs in your iTunes library and wanted to sync them without having to connect with a cord. I would never try syncing a movie wirelessly, but it would be useful to do it with a few songs.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.
    2009-03-01 05:20 AM
    Yeah, it would be a great option...but not very practical ....as it would take forever and a day.
    2009-03-01 05:25 AM
    Yeah i guess it only works best for the Zune Owners.
    2009-03-04 03:52 AM
    not to mention the battery drain using wifi to transfer....
    now wi-Fi sharing would be cool,....well...mewseek does this but what if like i can send a song to a friend via wifi, that would be cool (can people do this already?...god i miss my 3G )
    2009-03-04 02:32 PM
    Personally this is a must. Sure it might drain the battery (just like surfing dies) and it might not be the fastest but why not offer alternatives? Everyday syncs would be perfect for WiFi. An even better idea is remote activated sync, where the iPhone contacts the host computer. Imagine the user-friendlyness? Perfect for the most important stuff: syncing contactscalendar. Of well, Apples never been too business friendly anyway. Shouldn't expect anything to change anytime soon.
    2009-06-30 06:34 AM
    I would pay for this. I hate cables. With a passion.
    2009-06-30 06:38 AM
    I would pay for this. I hate cables. With a passion.
    But... by the time it fininshed syncing.. you would have to plug in to charge your battery. Might as well plug in to sync then.
    2009-07-01 10:58 PM
    Yeah I am sure it would be a drain on my battery. I have a battery pack though(because I don't like having to worry about plugging in all the time).

People keep talking about the speed of the transfer being slow. What is this based on? Wifi is fast.
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 2009-07-02 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-02 04:29 AM
    But... by the time it fininshed syncing.. you would have to plug in to charge your battery. Might as well plug in to sync then.
    But the option you could have is that when you plug in your phone to charge normally, it could be able to sync at the same time. Which would charge your phone "if" it drained your battery while it synced.
    2009-07-04 02:12 AM
    I agree. No matter how painstakingly slow it would be. It's such a pain in the *** to walk all the way upstairs where I left my goddamn USB cable. I also often leave my USB cable at home whenever I go on a trip, and I'll want a song or two. Hmm.
    2009-07-05 08:21 PM
    i donno guys... no matter how much i hate cables... trasfering over wifi is still rather slow...

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"
    2009-07-09 01:07 AM
    I think it is an interesting idea...but I agree it would probably be fairly slow.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2009-07-10 11:10 PM
    I think it is an interesting idea...but I agree it would probably be fairly slow.
    Whether it's fast --or-- slow --- that's NOT the point. The issue is options, compatibility, flexibility, available on competitors, etc.

If you're like me, and sync daily --- to get my calendar / address book updates, it should be quick as a bunny even at turtle-slow 'B" WiFi speeds!!

================================================== ===========
    Update: REAL USB traffic analysis
    Utility: USBlyzer (USBlyzer - Software USB Protocol Analyzer for Windows)
    Setup: Connect iPhone, start iTunes --- do a complete sync

USB transfer data:

--Start capture, sync again to get a baseline (nothing to sync):
    9.156.640 bytes total, 3,536,187 in, 5,620,453 out, 32.5 sec
    --Add one calendar entry and sync:
    9,146,148 bytes total, 3,533,119 in, 5,613,029 out, 36.5 sec
    --Add one contact entry and sync:
    9,144,634 bytes total, 3,532,581 in, 5,612,053 out, 34.5 sec

WiFi real-world speeds:
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wireless_data_standards[/ame]

802.11b (11 Mbits/sec max) typical 2 Mbits/sec (250KBytes/sec)
    802.11g (54 Mbits/sec max) typical 10 Mbits/sec (1,25MBytes/sec)
    802.11n (200 Mbits/sec max) typical 40 Mbits/sec (not on iPhone)

Time required to sync w/WiFi (non-backup ) at 100% utilization:
    802.11b: -- 36.4 seconds (9.1 MByte/250 Kbyte)
    802.11g: -- 7.3 seconds (9.1 MByte/1.25 MByte)

Note1: Obviously, iTunes does a lot of computer crunching and very little data transfer (ya think )
    Note1: My test setup sync also includes iTunes attempting to install 8 (FW3.0) apps on a 3G running FW2.2.1.
    Note2: I did not test the daily/weekly/monthly full-sync scenario, as the amount of data transferred varies extremely from user to user. Obviously a lot more data is transferred, but not so much as to make WiFi unusable.

Conclusion:
    Wireless iPhone/iTunes sync'ing is WELL within WiFi limitations.
    USB --may-- only be necessary/recommended for major syncs (music, movie, app and photo?)

GIVE ME WIRELESS SYNC
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-08-23 at 12:50 AM.
    2009-08-22 08:40 PM
    this would be awesome. wifi transfer speed is about 500kb/s on my network using ssh, and with iphone tunnel suite(usb) , it is about 1,800kb/s so wifi is 1/4 the speed, but still worth it
    2009-08-26 05:00 PM
    Maybe if there was a wireless USB cable for the iPhones it would work.
    2009-08-28 05:02 PM
    I don't mind plugging in for major updates (from a data and speed perspective, it's smart) but minor issues, like bookmark syncing and updating playlists, are irritating, and are geared more toward me paying an Apple tax to get MobileMe bookmark syncing, or because Apple wants me to stare at their storefront so that I'll buy apps, movies, or music. Smart, but irritating.
    2009-09-16 06:00 PM
    An easier solution, like I said would be a wireless USB cable. The make them in computer mice, so they could do it for an iPhone/iPod cable!
    2009-09-21 04:06 AM
    I'd like this idea better because i always gotta run to my bedroom to get the cord to charge it.

Solution to battery drain while transfer: plug it up. I use the wall charger a lot and mine is always on a charger whether at home or in the car. But this would still work great for my personal needs.
    2009-09-22 05:29 PM
61 123 ...