Hi guys! greetings from south america ... first post.

I was wondering if itīs possible to have a HP 48 Calculator Emulator ported to the iPhone ...

Looking arround i found this .. i donīt know if it would help
    Emu48 for MacOS X Source Code 1.25 Beta 3
    Source code for the Mac OS X port of the excellent Windows Emu48 (SP25) by Christoph Giesselink and Sebastien Carlier.

or this one ...
    Emu48 for Pocket PC 2003 1.23f
    Emu48CE (ARM version only) fixed for PocketPC 2003 (and earlier). Includes the fixed executable and a modified KML script (older scripts can still be used), as well as the source code.

source: http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/pc/emulators/

I would love to "just" carry my iPhone for all the things i do! ... C ya!
    2007-09-16 10:22 PM
    yeah, or a TI-92 emu
    2007-09-17 09:35 AM
    So no one knows if itīs possible? ...

I would love to help .. the problem is i donīt know any obj-c ...

Anyone?

COME ON! .. nobody with some iPhone app knowledge wants to help .. or just look at the code and throw some light?
    Last edited by NicoX; 2007-09-22 at 04:51 AM.
    iPhone therefore iPoor
    2007-09-17 05:53 PM
    iPhone therefore iPoor
    2007-09-22 04:51 AM
    I too would really like to have a native RPN calculator app for the iPhone, preferably an HP11, 15, 41, or 48 emu. Then I could ditch my 11c and 15c calculators at home and work.

And though I enjoy themes, games, and dictionaries (no joke) as much as the next person, this would be really useful. If I had the skills, I would do it myself.

FWIW, there are 2 engineers I work with who have said that they would spring for an iPhone if it had an HP equivalent RPN calculator native.
    There are 10 types of people in the world...
    ...those that understand binary and those that have friends.

iMac (2.8 GHz, 4GB, OS X 10.5.8) | iPhone 3G (16GB, White)
    | iPod Touch 8GB
    2007-09-22 06:04 AM
    We need someone with some experience in iPhone apps to at least look at those codes and say how probable is to have them working ...

I would be happy to contribute (time, $$ or what it takes ...), but we need somebody to take the lead

Come on .. iīm sure thereīs more people wanting this ...
    iPhone therefore iPoor
    2007-09-25 12:58 AM
    can't we just port a cas?
    2007-09-25 10:40 PM
    I donīt know if itīs easier justo to port a CAS .. or focus on a bigger port. Are there any CAS for Os X?

But maybe because there are a lot of HP 48 emulators we have a better chance of getting this done ...

HELP!!! ...
    iPhone therefore iPoor
    2007-09-26 12:03 AM
    It would be great to have this application ported to iPhone!

NicoX, you should add this link your initial post
    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/pc/emulat...8v145setup.zip
    It's the original emu48 for PC with source code and everything

I have mailed the original author of emu48 (Eric Rechlin) asking for the possibility to port his great emulator to iPhone and offer myself to help in any way possible.
    I'll keep everyone updated for any answers.

If you like to, you can also write him asking for this needed port!
    You can find his email here:
    http://www.hpcalc.org/contact.php

Hope we can get this done!
    2007-09-30 04:32 AM
    That´s what we need! ... but one thing ... here you have the authors:

"Emu48 for Mac OS X is a port of the excellent Windows version by Christoph Gie&#223;elink and Sebastien Carlier. A classic (Mac OS 8/9) port was originally done by Pierre Tardy, whose invaluable help made this carbonized version possible. Carbonization by Da Woon Jung <[email protected]>"

I pointed out the mac version because i thought i could be more helpful to port to the iPhone ... but since i&#180;m not familiarized programming to the iPhone we could use some help of expierienced people ... we could try to contact Da Woon Jung and Pierre Tardy, but we also need someone that knows the iPhone!

Let&#180;s get the HP48 to the iPhone!!
    Last edited by NicoX; 2007-09-30 at 06:11 AM.
    iPhone therefore iPoor
    2007-09-30 05:10 AM
    Ok, news update people.
    Here's Piere Tardy's reply to my request:

Sorry Jose, I never had the chance to learn spanish..

My emu48 port for the mac is very old, and was done on MacOS 9.
    the macosX port was maintain by another guy:
    http://emu48mac.sourceforge.net/

Emu48 is not very easy to port, because it is sadly very dependant on
    windows but it is feasible.

2007/9/30, Jose I. Aizpun <[email protected]>:
    > > Hi!
    > > I saw at hpcalc.org you managed to port emu48 to MacOS. Many people are
    > > asking for an iPhone port of emu48 (including myself ^.^) and thought I
    > > could ask you for help.
    > > I know a little of C and C++ programming and will be glad to help. I
    > > would just need some pointers because I don't know how a port needs to
    > > be done.
    > >
    > >
    > > The iPhone packs a MacOS X (don't know about any specific version) and a
    > > ARM processor. This is why it seems your port is the closest to what is
    > > needed here.
    > >
    > > Anyway, I would like to know what you think about this. Is there
    > > anything you can help us with?
    > >
    > > I look forward to hearing from you.
    > > Regards,
    > > Jose I. Aizpun
    > >
    > > PS: Please excuse my english. I'm from Argentina and my french is very
    > > poor (If you would like me to write you in spanish, I'll do it gladly :-p)
    > >
    > >
    -- Pierre

So I guess we'll have to start looking that new emu48 port for macos x and try to compile it for an ARM processor. I sound like I know what I'm talking about, but I'm just guessing...
    It is not our abilities that show what we truly are, it is our choices.
    2007-10-01 11:39 PM
    [spanish] Q bueno, otro del sur!! arriba q tiene q salir esto! [/spanish]

Yeap! we have to speak with Da Woon Jung <[email protected]> heīs the one that ported emu48 to the MacOS X ... and we need someone that speaks iPhonish!! (come on guys! there must be someone with knowledge who wants to help ...)

Donīt let this die! ...
    C ya!
    iPhone therefore iPoor
    2007-10-02 05:15 AM
    It should certainly be possible to port. The OS X emulator would probably be easier, even though the PPC version is already setup for small screens.

The iPhone has at least as much power as Pocket PCs. In fact, the latest HP calcs emulate the old HP Saturn processor on an Arm processor.
    2007-11-24 07:58 PM
    Here is a status update:

First, I would like to ask NetMAge about the emulator he is talking about. Doesn't the iPhone already have a MacOS X installed? A very trimmed version, all right, but perhaps is enough...
    The emulator you are talking about, How do you see it working here? Is there an emulator already developed for the iPhone?

Anyway, I haven't got a positive response from any of the emu48 developers, so I decided (tried) to solve this problem with my own hands.

As nicoX pointed earlier, there is already a MacOS X version ef emu48. This version is a "carbonization" (whatever that means) of an emu48 port for MacOS 8 and 9.

I found on the net a project to develop a working "cross-compiler" from any system, to the iPhone.
    Normaly, you would download some source code and compile it for your OWN system, with your system's compiler and libraries. The "cross-compiler" is able to compile, on your desktop system, a binary for some other system (plataform). In this case, the iPhone.

Here's the link to it: http://code.google.com/p/iphone-dev/

So... waht I've been trying to do the last couple of weeks is to compile the MacOS X carbonization of emu48 with the cross-compiler mentioned above.
    Link to the MacOS X carbonixation of emu48:
    http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=5829
    http://emu48mac.sourceforge.net/

Regrettably, I had no success yet, as I can't understand how to compile (or WHAT to compile) from the source. There is really poor documentation, and as I don't have access to a Macintosh I can't try many things...
    Once you see how messy is the source of the carbonization you will have an idea why I don't have a clue about how to compile it.

I think the solution resides in compiling this source code on a normal Mac system, and once that gets done, try to compile the same way for the iPhone.

In short, we need someone with a Mac system, and some knowledge about compiling source code.
    Hope this info helps to solve this puzzle...
    Last edited by chronos; 2007-11-24 at 09:18 PM.
    It is not our abilities that show what we truly are, it is our choices.
    2007-11-24 09:16 PM
    1. Carbon was the development API for Mac OS 9. Cocoa is the development for Mac OS X. The iPhone is Cocoa based, so modifying the Carbon emulator would be almost as difficult as modifying the Pocket PC emulator.

2. By "OS X emulator", I meant the HP 48 emulator already ported to OS X, which I thought would use Cocoa and be a (much) easier starting point than the Carbon emulator and possibly even the Pocket PC emulator. Unfortunately, it turns out that is is not a re-write into Cocoa, but just a port to Carbon on OS X, which means it isn't necessarily any better than the PPC version.
    2007-11-25 03:00 AM
    there is a psp graphical calc emulator which mite help
    2007-11-25 08:01 PM
    Anybody with knowledge in the new SDK may wanna help with this?? ... or is it an unrealistic dream?!?! ...

trow some light in here please !!!!!!
    iPhone therefore iPoor
    2008-06-11 01:04 AM
    I have been hoping for an iPhone graphing calculator port for a long time-almost since the release. But I have been thinking that maybe only the really basic code should be ported-ie the calculations one by the calc itself. That way someone could rewrite the code completely from scratch. With the iPhone SDK I believe an awesome calculator could be made.
    Just think about the cool benefits over Ti-Series graphers
    1.)Pinch-zooming on graph
    2.)Tap to center
    3.)Lines in multi-colors for better distinction
    4.)Wide landscape view
    5.)With the iPhone's touch keyboard the [2nd] buttons can actually be revealed
    Many many more not listed here.
    2008-06-11 07:54 PM
    As long it feels like a HP 48GX i donīt care how they do it ... but i thougth a port would be a good start ...

Hope somebody cares about a graphing calc before i become an ingeneer
    iPhone therefore iPoor
    2008-06-14 06:13 AM
    I have been hoping for an iPhone graphing calculator port for a long time-almost since the release. But I have been thinking that maybe only the really basic code should be ported-ie the calculations one by the calc itself. That way someone could rewrite the code completely from scratch. With the iPhone SDK I believe an awesome calculator could be made.
    Just think about the cool benefits over Ti-Series graphers
    1.)Pinch-zooming on graph
    2.)Tap to center
    3.)Lines in multi-colors for better distinction
    4.)Wide landscape view
    5.)With the iPhone's touch keyboard the [2nd] buttons can actually be revealed
    Many many more not listed here.
    Hi!
    Actually I'm working on a scientific calculator with graphing capabilities. I don't want to talk much about the features of it, because I'm afraid of being copied, but the 5 things you mentioned are already implemented.
    Here is a screenshot from the plotter part:

There are still some things missing, but I think I'll be finished when the AppStore launches. I'll probalby call it sciCalc, if I don't find any better name until then.

Greetings,
    DrummerB
    2008-06-14 05:28 PM
25 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD