Woohoo, this is EXACTLY what i need in my car. Seems expensive though.

http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connector.htm?connipod.htm
    iPhone 3g charge converter Many devices made for earlier iPods or iPhones can no longer provide correct charging power to the iPhone 3g and you get a message about charger not supported. This adapter converts the charging power to suit the iPhone 3g. The picture above is not of the actual item, but it will look something similar and be around 1.5"x1.5" large. It will have one male and one female iPod connector and also a mini USB connector at the side, so it can serve three different purposes! It can:
    1. Convert charging power for iPhone 3g
    2. Serve as a charging "injector" for accessories that do not provide charging
    3. Be used just as a short dock extender
    2008-07-30 08:34 PM
    I have a Kensington "Mini Battery Pack & Charger" Model #TiPBB4. I bought it two weeks ago from the on Campus Apple Store in Cupertino, CA. It was $45.00 and it works perfectly. I used it on my Flight to California from DC and I was able to watch 2 movies, "The Day After Tomorrow" & "Tombstone" also listened to music for a while. When I got down to 10% power during the second movie I plugged in the "Mini" and was able to juice it back to 100% when I was done with the flight I still had 50% power. Great buy for me. Goto Kensington
    Black iPhone 4 iOS4 AT&T

The iPhone 4 "my precious" - Gollum
    2008-07-30 10:24 PM
    Awesome, with this I'll be able to charge my iPhone in my car with my Alpine head unit.

I'd like to use GPS in the car, but I don't because it drains the battery very fast.
    2008-07-31 04:19 AM
    WTF does that have to do with the product above?
    the "Mini battery pack" doesn't do sh*t for people who are looking to get charging functionality out of existing accessories.

I have a Kensington "Mini Battery Pack & Charger" Model #TiPBB4. I bought it two weeks ago from the on Campus Apple Store in Cupertino, CA. It was $45.00 and it works perfectly. I used it on my Flight to California from DC and I was able to watch 2 movies, "The Day After Tomorrow" & "Tombstone" also listened to music for a while. When I got down to 10% power during the second movie I plugged in the "Mini" and was able to juice it back to 100% when I was done with the flight I still had 50% power. Great buy for me. Goto Kensington
    2008-07-31 03:59 PM
    The folks at cablejive.com will be selling the iPhone 3G Charge Converter adapter in the US. No pre-order just yet, but there's an option to get an email when they come in stock:

CableJive: Jive with iPod
    2008-08-06 03:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD