For some reason, my pwnaged iPhone 3G/2.0.1 is not detecting new application updates through the App Store. There are definitely updates available, but the App Store on the iPhone indicates that all of my apps are up to date. This is not the case with iTunes itself, although its list of available updates is missing some later versions, too... and the updated apps are definitely in my Applications list.

I don't know if there is a connection with jailbreaking and/or Cydia packages. I had to install all Cydia packages BEFORE restoring settings and official Apps from iTunes backup (otherwise Cydia crashes during package activation and the phone will not reboot, requiring a full recovery).

I can update apps manually--it just requires a lot of vigilance to watch 30+ apps when I don't have the benefit of automatic notifications.

Anyone else seeing this? Suggestions?

Adding on to the above, I have noticed that I am getting a lot of error messages when trying to update App Store apps through the iPhone:

"Unable to Download Application: ___ will be available for download when you log in to the iTunes Store on your computer. (Done) (Retry)"

There may be a connection. Anyone else seeing this recently, too?
    Last edited by dkallan; 2008-08-13 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-13 12:00 AM
    That is also happening to me.
    2008-08-13 06:21 AM
    I'm having the same issue. trying to restore to see if fixes. very annoying.
    2008-08-14 07:06 AM
    Loopt and Remote no longer open.. they just kick me back to the springboard.. im going to restore back to normal i guess someone knows of a fix.

Thanks,
    Arnie
    2008-08-14 07:23 AM
    I've been experiencing this issue for several days - I have several applications in limbo right now that I can't seem to update because I'm getting this exact same error.
    2008-08-15 04:09 AM
    I get this error also. If I update on my touch, it starts the download and then I get the "Unable to Download Error". When I connect to Itunes I have to do a "Check for Purchases and the app update gets downloaded to Itunes.

Sometimes the only way to get apps to install the updated version, I need to delete al of them from teh touch and then sync the apps.

If I update the apps in Itunes, when I sync them, I'll get an error that the app can not be loaded onto the touch. Again, I delete the apps off the touch and sync and all is good, but it is pretty annoying.

Don't know if this is from Jailbreaking or it's an Apple problem.

This may be unrelated, but Itunes will show an app has an update, but when I check for updates it says all my apps are up to date.

Mostly I am just frustrated that the updates form teh touch fail and I have to jump through hoops to get the app back and working.

FW 2.0.1, Jailbroken, WinXP
    2008-08-15 02:30 PM
    I'm having the same issue, though I suspect it's my restored apps that aren't getting updates, as some of my recently downloaded apps have been getting updates. I'd need to do more testing to confirm this, though. Also, I've never had trouble manually updating on my iPhone.
    2008-08-15 09:38 PM
    Yes, one of my recent apps showed an update notification in the App Store, too.

The errors, which may be a separate issue, seem to be intermittent. Errors can occur whether updating or installing, and when installing from iTunes-to-iPhone or on the iPhone itself. When applications fail to install on the iPhone, sometimes the icon will remain on the Springboard with an empty installation progress bar. Waiting for a while and then clicking the icon again can lead to a quick and successful installation.
    2008-08-15 10:08 PM
    I'm having this problem also. No updates showing on the iPhone via the App Store updates, but they show up in iTunes (well, most of them).

I do have one paid app, call Things (a GTD app), that is not showing an update neither on the iPhone app store application, nor in iTunes. Originally bought v1.0 on 7/30 (to get the introductory pricing). The developer submitted an update (v1.1) on 8/14, and it hit the app store early today (8/19). The developer is pretty on top of their software, even have a Twitter update which I subscribe to. They sent out a Twitter update that v1.1 was now showing on the iPhone app store application, so I immediately went to check (connected via WiFi). Nothing. Other Things users (both on the Touch and the iPhone) are showing the update (reported via the Things forums), but I'm not finding the update in either iTunes or on the App Store app.

Any ideas???
    2008-08-19 02:07 PM
    Same problem here and I'm not jailbroken.
    2008-08-19 08:59 PM
    having same problem with apps not updating in appstore but in ituens they update.
    2008-08-23 09:10 AM
    I had these same issue on my jailbroken 2.1 iPod Touch.

The fix is this:

In WinSCP, navigate to /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.plist

Then delete the file "com.apple.mobile.installation.plist"

Then reboot or respring your iTouch or iPhone.

This will fix the problem, at least it did for me!

Thanks to iPod Touched Blog Archive Cannot Connect to itunes store
    2008-11-10 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD