There were some web based apps that were pretty cool for the first gen iphone but it wasn't till the Appstore came out for the 3G version that native programs were made for it. Among all the other great programs this is the first phone I have seen such a huge aviation aftermarket for. Everything from electronic logbooks to LiveATC.net feeds you have everything you can think of. Heres a list of the aviation programs I have so far:

Aeroweather, Raw and decoded METAR and TAF's, charts etc
    AirWX, all aviation weather as well as VFR and IFR charts etc
    FLTplan, flight planning, weather and airport info, other 411
    Hold Pattern Computer, great visualization tool to use for IFR holds.
    iBalance, weight and balance computer, very handy
    iE6B, great electronic E6B
    MyE6B, another great E6B
    Tuner, streaming and live feeds, has plugin for liveatc.net feeds to listen to air traffic control live broadcasting(super cool!!!)

The only thing I would love to see is an aviation GPS made for this phone, that would be cool!!
    Any other pilots out there?
    2008-08-29 06:01 AM
    Not a pilot, but I would love a flight simulator...
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!
    2008-08-30 02:04 AM
    Experimental pilot here, I fly powered parachutes. Kinda looks like you're in one in your pic.. are you? Anyway, I agree that there are lots of choices out there. But since I fly at low altitudes and slow speeds, I can use gpskit and even the standard maps app to go from points A to B. I'm sure GA guys would love to have an full aviation sectional type gps.. that would be awesome. What are you flying anyway?
    2008-08-30 03:03 AM
    Yeah I fly a touring motorglider...VFR in Australia...so not a lot is relevant in terms of NexRad.

Thanks for the list. Of these I've only used AeroWeather...which has some limited METAR/TAF coverage here.

I generally use WebClips to local Aviation WX sites for radar, lightning & TAFs though something like PocketFMS for the iPhone would be great. Full air-space aware flight-planning. I'm sure it's on it's way!
    2008-08-30 04:35 AM
    I fly everything hehe. I do a bunch of acro. Ive been flying a Pitts S2c a lot. lately just been chilling flying a Super Decathlon. I fly IFR and VFR so the weather apps are a great tool to have. And the LiveATC.net feeds I can listen to, well you dont have to be a pilot to enjoy them thats just damn awesome! The E6b is so much easier to use than the standard and electronic E6b's out there. If a full aviation GPS launches I will be sure to buy it.

One program I dont have is the Logten Logbook. Only reason I dont have it is because I cant sync it with windows.

I fly everything hehe. I do a bunch of acro. Ive been flying a Pitts S2c a lot. lately just been chilling flying a Super Decathlon. I fly IFR and VFR so the weather apps are a great tool to have. And the LiveATC.net feeds I can listen to, well you dont have to be a pilot to enjoy them thats just damn awesome! The E6b is so much easier to use than the standard and electronic E6b's out there. If a full aviation GPS launches I will be sure to buy it.

One program I dont have is the Logten Logbook. Only reason I dont have it is because I cant sync it with windows.

I used PocketFMS on my HTC Tilt and it was awesome!
    Last edited by InvertedS2c; 2008-08-30 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-30 06:46 AM
    I have AirWX, but all the others just wouldn't be too useful for me.

I can't remember the last time I used a EA6B...

But then, I have a glass cockpit in the MH-60 I'd love to see a easier to use chart viewer though, so I could bring a pile of sectionals with me and easily glide through them in the helo...
    2008-08-30 07:45 PM
    Yupp 1972 Cessna 172M vfr
    =)
    Though I love the fact that devs are jumping on the phone almost weekly, it seems, with new apps I dont ever picture myself saying... hey I know my iPhone... lol The only thing Ive purchased is ForeFlight 70$$ =P
    Works great for what it does. Just not 70 bux worth.

2008-08-31 05:08 AM
    Pitts S-2c is a great plane. I have a friend that has one and I've been up several times. Makes me want to pursue a pilot's license.
    Apples taste good.
    2008-08-31 05:14 AM
    I've been using Flash Q/Ard! to study my airline's (ASA) aircraft limitations and oral study guide. There are a bunch of different airline/aircraft limitation card sets. Aside from that, Aeroweather and WeatherBug Elite seem to be the 2 I use most for aviation stuff. Oh, and can't forget Flight Control. I thought I was doing ok with 130 high score, then I flew with an FO that was getting 2000 a game. I thought they changed the scoring in the latest update of the game, you should have seen the look on my face when the FO said "nope, its still 1 point per landing".
    2009-08-03 02:38 PM
    Here's a website that lists a whole slew of aviation apps for the iPhone:

iPhone Resources Pilot Brad's Flying Blog
    2009-08-04 04:36 AM
    Thanks for that link. I saw a new APP that has checklists which is nice compared to referring to one that is paper. You can tic off all the items as you go too. There is a site that you can download additional checklists too. I haven't downloaded it yet, but it looks good for 2 bucks.

VFR
    SEL
    Since 1986
    2009-08-04 07:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD