to change your skype default ringtone, go to

var/mobile/Applications
    then look for the folder that has skype, go into the skype.app folder in there and just drag a .wav file nameed "call_ringin.wav"
    respring and enjoy
    2009-04-21 03:27 AM
    Is it possible to access that folder without jailbreaking?

btw I'm so disappointed in the skype app... customing the ringtone is a bit trivial of an issue but is just one of many glaring examples of poor development by them.

/endrant
    2009-07-21 01:57 PM
    so how does this happen? ive got everything working on skype so that i can use it in the hospital where i work which gets no ATT signal and yet the only way i know its ringing is with dhort busts of vibrate...there is no ringtone even though the files exist in the folder referenced above. is there anyway that you know of to link the ring to another ringtone or to fix the cuurent situation (id be happy to take the stock ringtone back, even though i didnt do anything to lose it)
    2009-08-04 08:01 PM
    Skype actually rings into headphones, you just can't hear it unless you are holding it by your ears. I do not know how to make it ring into speakers.
    2009-08-05 08:24 PM
    Well like above , just get yourself diskaid and go to your applications folder (I wrote this for 2.2.1) but theirs a file inside skype.app named call_ringing.wav , replace that file with a converted wav file of r desire and respring, should work fine
    2009-08-05 08:33 PM
    does it have to be a wav file or can it be an m4r or mp3 file?
    2009-08-05 08:34 PM
    And it does ring to speaker , just make sure it's not in silent becuase if ur phone is in silent it won't ring to speaker

It had to be wave because that's what the app looks for unless there's a plist to change
    Last edited by z3r01; 2009-08-05 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-08-05 08:36 PM
    This is an old post but Google brought it to me. I am having the same problem where my Skype does not ring on my iPhone 3GS. If somebody could tell me what - go to var/mobile/Applications - means and how do I get there, it would help me.
    Thank you
    2010-02-05 04:27 AM
    @paddy209 - you must have a jailbroken iphone to do this! You have to access the root file system to change the ringtone. You can do this via Diskaid as mentioned or SSH into the iphone.

"var/mobile/Applications" is the location in iphone files to navigate to - in order to replace the standard ring with a custom ringtone.

As described above in post by z3R01:
    to change your skype default ringtone, go to:

var/mobile/Applications
    then look for the folder that has skype, go into the skype.app folder in there and just drag a .wav file nameed "call_ringin.wav"
    respring and enjoy
    2010-02-05 04:45 AM
    Thank you but I am not familiar with the terminology used. Can you please confirm:
    Jailbroken - does this mean unlocked phone?
    Are Diskaid and SSH programs? Where do I find them?
    Assuming the above are programs, I assume that I would then be able to use one of them to access "var/mobile/Applications" when my phone is connected to my computer
    Apologies for all the questions but this is like a new language to me
    Thank you for your help
    Patrick
    2010-02-05 07:23 AM
    Ok you need to read & learn a lot before you even attempt anything - I suggesting using this forum to read more about jailbreaking and guides on how to do it.

Jailbroken - does not mean "unlocked from network" (although this can be done as well. Jailbreaking will allow you root access to the iphone file system, allowing you the option to install other jailbreak apps, customise your phone, and replace things like ringtones..

Diskaid is a program - you can find it here: Disk Mode for your iPhone or iPod Touch? – Download DiskAid for PC Windows and Mac OSX Note - You will not be able to do anything with system files using Diskaid until you are jailbroken.

SSH is an option/app you can turn on once you are jailbroken, and you can access system files via Wifi link.

Yes you assume right - if you are jailbroken - and have one of these, you will be able to access those locations, and to change the ringtone.

A word of warning - if you dont understand any of this - it is beyond your level, and not worth attempting for 1 ringtone.

If you really want to jailbreak your iphone - please read ALL the guides very carefully BEFORE attempting anything!!!!
    2010-02-05 07:39 AM
    I will follow your advice and start reading
    Thank you for you help
    2010-02-05 07:56 AM
    you are welcome - the smartest thing to do is read up on it first. then read it again.

Make sure you understand what you are doing before attempting it - it will save you running into more problems later.

You can always ask questions in the relevant sections of forum - someone will be able to help, or point you in the right direction.

P.S. If you want to jailbreak - make sure you DONT update to 3.1.3 firmware that was just released via iTunes
    2010-02-05 08:10 AM
    Hello all,
    I'm trying to do this on an old PowerBook G4, getting at the root over wifi with Netatalk, I believe. Anyhow I found the Skype folder under var/mobile/applications OK, but Skype.app in there is an application, not a folder, and when I try to open it it gives the ol' "not supported on this architecture." Is the problem my old PowerPC architecture? It seems weird, on any computer, that an application file would behave as a folder, so I'm confused by all the talk on this forum about dragging the .wav file into skype.app. Any thoughts? I have access to a PC too.
    2011-01-16 05:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD