User Tag List

A recent study conducted by Wristly, a smartwatch market research firm, found an overall lack of performance as the common thread between unsatisfied Apple Watch owners. Despite this statistic, roughly half of the respondents from the study said they would still consider buying a second-generation model.

As part of the study, Wristly found the Apple Watch to have a 97% satisfaction rate among owners. The company polled more than 330 users who were ultimately dissatisfied with their purchase, finding that a general lack of value was the most cited reason buyers parted ways with the Apple Watch. Roughly 89% of respondents said the device was a poor cost/benefit proposition.

One of the more interesting facts from the study also revealed that there were 80% who found the Apple Watch’s feature set limiting. Originally when the Apple Watch first launched, some derided the device for its lack of onboard GPS and cellular radios, instead the device relied heavily on data tethering and opaque GUI controls. Apple addressed certain issues such as native app support and third party watch face complications with the release of watchOS 2 in September.

Furthermore, a good portion of owners that were unsatisfied with the Watch’s performance and poor battery life, though it's unclear whether customers were referring to unresponsive non-native watchOS apps or sluggish hardware. Interestingly enough, 53% of respondents also found the Apple Watch’s tilt-to-activate screen function “annoying.” Originally employed as a method to save power, the display remains off unless triggered by a raise of the wrist, a screen tap or a button press. Though Apple’s raise-to-wake mechanism is responsive when compared to other smartwatches, its nowhere near as convenient as that of a traditional timepiece.

Despite all the negative feedback, a majority of the disappointed Apple Watch owners ended up keeping the device. The reasons remained unknown, it could just be the higher price of entry, but owners of the stainless steel version were reluctant to part with the device, with 65% of them saying they stuffed their unit in a drawer. When compared to those who bought an Apple Watch, 50% of the buyers stashed their device in a drawer, 17% returned it, 24% sold their copy and 9% gave it away.

Wristly was able to get 70% of the participants of the original sample pool to answer a series of follow-up questions that are pertaining to ongoing use. Things to note regarding this set of data included 30% of the smaller group of respondents stating they still wear the Apple Watch despite voicing dissatisfaction. One of the most surprising among the statistics was that roughly half of the respondents planned to buy a next-gen model.

Are you an Apple Watch owner or ex-Apple Watch owner? How do you feel about the device? Share your thoughts below!

Source: Wristly (Medium) via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2015-12-02 07:48 AM
    My impressions are basically the same for a 12 hour day. Battery life is good; rarely drops below 50%, Apple apps response is acceptable. Third party apps are very mixed. Pandora gets the interface right, but draws too much power from the phone if it is started from the watch. iTranslate takes too long to get an audio translation from the phone. I've concluded that these are first generation problems, and it can only get better with future models; that is if Apple is going to make the necessary improvements. I am looking forward to the specs of the next model. The killer app, medical sensors, is still years off.
    2015-12-02 11:02 AM
    I've had mine a few weeks and it's never went under 80% battery life. I haven't really messed with 3rd Party apps other than eBay, but I've yet to have any performance issues with the stock apps. Obviously each watch release will get better and better, but I look at this one as a purchase for primarily having notifications and convenience. I don't regret the purchase at all.
    2015-12-02 06:48 PM
    me, my whole company and my friend circle must belong to that 3%.
    I hated this watch, I let my friends and people in my company borrow this watch for a week.
    Everyone had same problem as I.
    1. hate the short battery life, especially after the update.
    2. heart monitor is inaccurate 40bpm 1 second 100+bpm the next.
    3. health monitoring saw me standing 12 hours a day, I am accountant working behind a desk I sit most of my day.
    4. lift to activate watch work only 1/2 the time, I find myself shake my whole arm just to see what time it is.
    5. app integration is a joke, yelp crashes 90% of the time and the information displayed makes you want to just pull out your phone to see it.
    6. using dictation function to reply to a text is a joke.

Find myself pull out my phone 90% of the time, might as well just use the phone.
    Last edited by unison999; 2015-12-02 at 08:15 PM.
    2015-12-02 08:08 PM
    Needs consistency and accuracy. Hopefully both will be placed into the next model.
    2015-12-02 08:45 PM
    me, my whole company and my friend circle must belong to that 3%.
    I hated this watch, I let my friends and people in my company borrow this watch for a week.
    Everyone had same problem as I.
    1. hate the short battery life, especially after the update.
    2. heart monitor is inaccurate 40bpm 1 second 100+bpm the next.
    3. health monitoring saw me standing 12 hours a day, I am accountant working behind a desk I sit most of my day.
    4. lift to activate watch work only 1/2 the time, I find myself shake my whole arm just to see what time it is.
    5. app integration is a joke, yelp crashes 90% of the time and the information displayed makes you want to just pull out your phone to see it.
    6. using dictation function to reply to a text is a joke.

Find myself pull out my phone 90% of the time, might as well just use the phone.
    damn, what did you do to Apple? lol I would've sold that thing if I was you. Everyone I know (3 people) who has the watch say they love it and has no problems with it. I'm still waiting on the second Gen to see what that has to offer. Im more into just notifications personally.
    2015-12-02 10:15 PM
    I went and got an Apple Watch on 2 separate occasions and still took it back. The second time I did like it better and noticed the better battery life. I'm going to go ahead and wait for the 2nd generation and hope it don't have to be so dependent on the phone.
    2015-12-03 03:52 AM
    damn, what did you do to Apple? lol I would've sold that thing if I was you. Everyone I know (3 people) who has the watch say they love it and has no problems with it. I'm still waiting on the second Gen to see what that has to offer. Im more into just notifications personally.
    After whole company and my group of friends knew this thing is crap, I gave it to college friend of mine who came to visit me last month who likes Apple stuff.
    Apple Watch is not the first thing I did this to, I had the Google Glass and did exact same thing to only difference is I was allowed to return it to Google for full refund.
    Crap should not be encouraged so big companies would sell more crap, best way to discourage them is to hit their consumers so they would not "accidentally" buy crap.
    2015-12-03 06:04 PM
    Apple needs to create a presence more like the fitbit, Hell make it a part of game center! It would be nice to form communities, challenge friends and so forth. Also there isn't a device that natively supports weight training, give me an app that allows me to track sets. maybe by use of my voice or movement.
    2015-12-04 02:47 AM
    I've had mine a few weeks and it's never went under 80% battery life. I haven't really messed with 3rd Party apps other than eBay, but I've yet to have any performance issues with the stock apps. Obviously each watch release will get better and better, but I look at this one as a purchase for primarily having notifications and convenience. I don't regret the purchase at all.
    I don't understand how anyone could say with even light usage, that the battery doesn't go below EIGHTY or even fifty for that matter. It will last a full day but I'm finding even moderate texting notifications will have me at 20/30 % by day's end... and I haven't set up notifications for any 3rd party stuff yet.
    2015-12-07 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD