Anyone trying to get a new iPhone because of a cosmetic defect? Heres a way to get the guys at the Genius Bar to replace your device. First you must get a hold of the 1.2 beta. Restore in iTunes to 1.2. You will get the purple screen this is okay. Now restore back down to 1.1.4. This will give you an error and leave your iPhone with firmware 1.1.4 and the 1.2 baseband. You will be stuck in DFU mode. Now bring the iPhone to the Apple Store. Go talk to a genius and tell him the device kept on rebooting and brought up the iTunes logo with the cable. Say you have tried restoring to 1.1.4 multiple times to no avail. They will inspect the device and try to restore the device to 1.1.4. This will fail and they most likely will decide it's due to corrupted software. NOTE: It will not matter if you downgraded the bootloader or not, they can't tell. They will then get you a refurbished device from the back, have you sign some paperwork and enjoy your new iPhone

This has been tested and confirmed. Go out and give it a try, it can't hurt to try

Anyone else have any good stories to tell the genius's?
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out
    2008-04-07 04:13 AM
    Evil.

32GB iPod Touch 2nd Gen
    2008-04-07 04:24 AM
    hahaha I gave it to them with the error 1015 and they never suspected anything. I woke up today and said, ehh my bezel is scratched. Why don't i just get a new phone?
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out
    2008-04-07 04:27 AM
    On the weekend I went with a mate of mine to get his 8gb iphone from the apple store. We got it and I took it home and started the Iliberty processes to unlock / jailbreak etc.

However while it was doing this we both noticed like a cosmetic production fault on the phone, just below the ear speaker at the top, there was a thin strip of light shining through, like the black paint wasn't thick enough on the inside of the phone to block it out fully.

After paying 270 for the phone my friend didn't want it to not be perfect, so I restored it and took it back to the apple store.

The guys behind the desk were amazed by it as they had never seen this kind of cosmetic fault before, they all crowded round lol.

I was a bit nervous as they asked if we had activated it or anything, but I said no. If they had been eagle eyed they would have noticed that instead of saying "No service" in the top left of the screen on the "Slide for emergency" call screen that shows on a new phone, they would have seen it had 1 bar of signal, which I noticed too late while we were in the store, I guess it was part-activated or something!

Anyways, we got out of there with a new phone and breathed a sigh of relief hehe
    2008-04-07 04:32 PM
    haha! I think i might try this, but i need that 1.2beta!( help )

Better yet just stick a couple magnets in your iphone and youll be good!

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro
    2008-04-08 09:16 AM
    Better yet just stick a couple magnets in your iphone and youll be good!
    i tried... it didnt work
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473
    2008-04-08 09:22 AM
    really? Try getting some strong ones and moving it along the front(touching the screen) and the back.

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro
    2008-04-08 03:54 PM
    Thanks for all this information, I will pass it on to my employees.
    Chris 'cWanja' Wanja
    [email protected]
     Apple Genius - Retail
    Do not forget to "thank me" for helping!
    2008-04-08 04:03 PM
    Evil Apple Troll alert!
    2008-04-08 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD