Just got my first Mac and I'm Sans Windows now...

So here is what I need:

1. What are the "must have" applications for Mac (preferrably for free)

2. I'm having trouble deleting stuff from my My Book from my Windows system... it's a permissions thing, how do I fix this so I can start thinning it out. Right now it's read only. I'm hoping this isn't gonna require me to take the drive to a Windows system to fix it.

3. What are some good keyboard/mouse sets or individual pieces? I want to go white or white/silver (yeah, I'd love the bluetooth set, but I'm looking at all options before dropping that much)

Other than that... I'm loving this thing! Best computer I've ever purchased/built.

FYI... for those that were watching the $599 vs. $799 thread, I went big and I'm not regretting it.

Thanx for all the info!
    2007-10-24 03:12 AM
    As far as must have apps, there are many. Check out versiontracker.com
    There are many freeware apps to check out. They have them neatly categorized... One app that comes to mind to give you a start, is Onyx, its a free system utility that you should become familar with, and use.
    Iphoned & now using T-MO prepaid, Been playing w/ Apples for nearly 2 decades...
    2007-10-25 10:35 AM
    I got the external HDD figured out... It was because the drive was formatted to NTFS. Thought I was going to have to use a PC to format it back to FAT 32 but I was able to use disk utility ( after selecting the drive and not the label ) to reformat the drive.

Has anyone used the Logitech S530 set? Its wireless and in white/silver. It also has the programmable extra keys.
    2007-10-25 01:19 PM
    Just got my first Mac and I'm Sans Windows now...

So here is what I need:

1. What are the "must have" applications for Mac (preferrably for free)

2. I'm having trouble deleting stuff from my My Book from my Windows system... it's a permissions thing, how do I fix this so I can start thinning it out. Right now it's read only. I'm hoping this isn't gonna require me to take the drive to a Windows system to fix it.

3. What are some good keyboard/mouse sets or individual pieces? I want to go white or white/silver (yeah, I'd love the bluetooth set, but I'm looking at all options before dropping that much)

Other than that... I'm loving this thing! Best computer I've ever purchased/built.

FYI... for those that were watching the $599 vs. $799 thread, I went big and I'm not regretting it.

Thanx for all the info!
    Everything is free if you know where to get it.

1. Must haves: Photoshop, Toast, Popcorn, Onyx, Firefox, VisualLab, X-Chat, Transmission, Transmit (not related), Adium, River, Acquisition, lots more

2. trouble logging into your windows system from Macbook and deleting files you mean? Or are you mounting the drive independently?

3. Apple just came out with a paper think aluminum keyboard, nice. Otherwise, MacAlley makes really good keyboard/mouse combinations. Logitech is another good one, I have a Logitech bluetooth keyboard/mouse.
    2007-10-25 03:46 PM
    2007-10-26 06:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD