Mac can run a Windows OS, a Windows machine cant run a Mac OS. Macs run windows better than a windows does. What hard to understand? Mac wins hands down.
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!
    2008-07-02 08:29 PM
    For me, 12 years ago it was a no-brainer. PC's were all over my High School, and maybe a total of 8 Macs. To be honest with you, Mac's sucked. Nobody used them unless all of the PC's were being used or broken. I remember saying to myself I will never use a Mac again! Well fast forward 10 years and Mac has changed my mind, and it's now the opposite, I won't buy another PC for a very long time if ever. And after using my sisters new Vaio, it still can't compare to my 1 1/2 year old plain MacBook.
    And don't even hit me with the PC's are for business and regular office work, while Mac's are for Design and Music. Cause that's all BS I own 2 businesses and my Mac's great for them!
    2008-07-02 09:54 PM
    Yeah!!!
    2008-07-03 04:55 AM
    I'd probably go with the Macbook or Pro if you want the Mac. However, if you end up going the PC route, ignore every idiot who mentioned Alienware. They're the kings of overpriced crap. Go with either Dell (lesser of evils and great support if something dies in your laptop) or HP, those are the two names I see thrown around the most.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.
    2008-07-03 06:17 AM
    Phew... okay. i'm leaning a little towards Macs a little more as of now. (but I can't lie and tell you my heart isn't still with XP)

Mostly because of two reasons: I want their durability and I want to learn how to use the OS as well as I can Windows (because I see a pretty big battle between the two in the future... and I think with Leopards recent success and Vista's unforgettable failure that Macs may pull ahead soon)

But I want to look into a Hackintosh a little bit more because of two reasons.
    -First and foremost, my wallet
    -Secondly, (this is gonna sound weird) but when it comes to specs... I feel macs are a little behind for the price.
    2008-07-03 09:26 AM
    For me, 12 years ago it was a no-brainer. PC's were all over my High School, and maybe a total of 8 Macs. To be honest with you, Mac's sucked. Nobody used them unless all of the PC's were being used or broken. I remember saying to myself I will never use a Mac again! Well fast forward 10 years and Mac has changed my mind, and it's now the opposite, I won't buy another PC for a very long time if ever. And after using my sisters new Vaio, it still can't compare to my 1 1/2 year old plain MacBook.
    And don't even hit me with the PC's are for business and regular office work, while Mac's are for Design and Music. Cause that's all BS I own 2 businesses and my Mac's great for them!
    Well said Sir!!
    I too am running a Government consulting and training company using ONLY a MAC with no help from Microsoft, I dont even use office!
    2008-07-03 02:19 PM
    Mac can run a Windows OS, a Windows machine cant run a Mac OS. Macs run windows better than a windows does. What hard to understand? Mac wins hands down.
    PC hardware can run a Mac OS, otherwise I wouldn't be trying it, jeez.

edit: running it NOW.
    Last edited by dale1v; 2008-07-03 at 06:00 PM.
    2008-07-03 04:33 PM
    We discussed this in the IRC.
    I am ARE RETARDED.

You win Dale.
    You Win.
    *glare*
    2008-07-04 03:56 AM
    well I gave my teenager a challenge 2 years ago when she got her scholarship and acceptance letter to Montana State: Find a windoze machine that has the specs of a mac and compare the prices. She found three: an XPS, an Alienware machine, and one Inever heard of before. The specs (firewire, dvd+/- drive, 2GB Ram or better, 120 GB Drive or better) The Mac was actually cheaper, and they were unable to natively run a fully supported OS X Version (Sorry hackintoshers OSX86 was only an unsupported Beta released/leaked by Apple to see if they should go with Intel or AMD).
    Second if you not familiar as of yet with troubleshooting OS X or Linux you probably don't want to have to take a crash course in doing so with a midterm deadline over your head so get one that is supported. If you buy a Mac Apple supports it, if you install Windows on your Mac Microsoft supports it if it is run natively via bootcamp. If you hackintosh or linux your box better be hacker smart.

Mac is starting to grab big businesses attention, since so many of their employees are starting to get iphones, ipods and mac books for personal usage. Thing is steve Jobs decided a long time ago his target market was the home user. When the Board of Directors tried to force him to go business he resigned and Apple almost went under till he came back. So business apps are second class citizens for him but he is starting to allow more development towards them. Iphones new office support is a prime example.
    N E ways my daughter gave sucked up her pride gave in and let me by her a MB Pro. She threatened to break my arm when I offered to replace it with the XPS she so desperatly wanted a year ago, and called me an idiot if I thought I could replace her Mac with a POS.
    http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/sigs/801120092.png

Life's short so have a blast. Give God a good laugh, tell him YOUR big plan.
    2008-07-04 04:43 AM
    Mac FTW.
    2008-07-04 04:50 AM
    A PC running Windows is a calculator on steroids.
    a PC running Linux or OS X is a computer.
    2008-07-04 05:29 AM
    A PC running Windows is a calculator on steroids.
    a PC running Linux or OS X is a computer.
    NICE one!!
    2008-07-04 05:42 AM
    We discussed this in the IRC.
    I am ARE RETARDED.

You win Dale.
    You Win.
    *glare*
    lol
    2008-07-04 04:57 PM
    PC hardware can run a Mac OS, otherwise I wouldn't be trying it, jeez.

edit: running it NOW.
    A PC, windows, can not run a full Version of OS X, hackintosh- as completely as a mac can. Sure you can get some great specs but the thing that many people love about macs are the tight integration

PS. You can not do it "legally"
    2008-07-04 05:05 PM
    A PC, windows, can not run a full Version of OS X, hackintosh- as completely as a mac can. Sure you can get some great specs but the thing that many people love about macs are the tight integration

PS. You can not do it "legally"
    Can you give me an example? Everything that works on my windows partition works on my mac partition as well

Oh you can do it legally if you buy a OSX DVD and then patch it (I think)

/me draws attention away from himself
    Last edited by dale1v; 2008-07-04 at 07:15 PM.
    2008-07-04 07:12 PM
    Can you give me an example? Everything that works on my windows partition works on my mac partition as well

Oh you can do it legally if you buy a OSX DVD and then patch it (I think)

/me draws attention away from himself
    No you can not do it legally even if you purchase and patch a OSX DVD, which I doubt many people do . In the Apple EULA it states that Mac OSX can only be run on Apple branded HardWare.

As for the Hackintosh vs. Macintosh part of the beauty of macs is that they run perfectly right out of the box-no drivers or anything. To get thay type of support you have to be very specific when purchasing parts-which is virtually imposible to do if you want to do this on a laptop.

Now do not get me wrong I have been part of the OS X86 community since basically the beginning and have run multiple versions of the OS on many different configurations-and I love doing it. But when it comes down to it I never got a 100% working computer with all supporting drivers/Kext's and when ever I do serious work that has a zero-tolerance for failure, such as photography-or-work, I will always use an Apple vs Hackintosh.
    2008-07-05 01:38 AM
    Oh, too bad. getting a Mac in summer. Hopefully
    Last edited by dale1v; 2008-07-05 at 03:56 PM.
    2008-07-05 03:54 PM
    Oh, too bad. getting a Mac in summer. Hopefully
    Im getting an iMac in two weeks
    Good call dale, i knew you'd see the light
    2008-07-05 04:08 PM
    Ok... always been a windows person... built my own computers for over 20 years... went through all the problems... did I learn alot? Sure I did....

The one thing that I hated about windows was if you left a window opened and minimized over night it was like getting a drunk up in the morning... windows does not manage memory as well I feel.... win95 up to Xp... and when I was using XP I used two gig as well and same thing...

Bought a IPhone this past Dec.... and loved it.... then needed a laptop and bought it two months ago so that I didn't have to take my desktop pc to Florida with me in the winter time... I ordered a dell... the parts were back ordered... good thing! Then I cancelled the order and went for the macbook...

Once I got a taste of the IPhone and Macbook then I went out and bought a IMac a month later (hate the payments I have right now but no interest for two years) and I love it.... did I like spending all of this money and do I feel I could have boughten different systems to save money? No I did not like spending more on a system... and yes I would of liked to save money but I am not sorry at all at this time.....

After buying the Macbook I was addicted... what a refreshing experience! And enjoyable at that.... and that is why I bought the IMac because I felt that it would be a blast to have a desktop like that as well.... and when I go to Florida this year I hate to leave it here!

Now that I have converted over.... I am not sorry that I did and I do not miss windows... however I still need to use XP for a few things I use VMWare which is cool... but love the performance of the Mac stuff I bought over any windows system I had ever bought or built...

If you do buy a mac go to best buy and buy it you have 14 days to play with it and if you don't like it take it back... don't buy it from Apple or online as Apple will charge you like 15% to send it back and if you buy it online you will have to pay to ship it back if you don't like...

Hope this helps!
    2008-07-06 09:00 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD