I'm seriously considering converting my whole library to Apples AAC format, probably 160kbps. I've tested a few and can hardly tell the difference, and it halves most of my file sizes, which are mostly 256kps VBR

The only thing stopping me is losing the play counts on all my tracks. Is there any way to preserve these?
    To live, you have to lie
    2007-12-28 07:19 PM
    Unfortunately, the only way to do that is actually reimport every file from the CD. Lame, especially if you have dl'd a lot of them, like most of us.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2007-12-28 08:51 PM
    Change the Import settings on your iTunes to AAC (I used 128K, VBR), select all of your songs, right-click and select "convert selected items to AAC". This will not only convert your tunes, it will copy over your MP3 tags, so your song count won't be lost.

PS: This will leave your MP3's in place. Just use the View tab "Kind" to separate the MP3s from the M4A's, then remove all the left over MP3's
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2007-12-28 09:00 PM
    I did that, it retains the ratings, but not the play count.

The play count is an itunes thing, not an id tag thing, right?
    Maybe renaming the filenames in the xml file from .mp3 to .m4a would sort it
    Last edited by redcard; 2007-12-28 at 09:06 PM.
    To live, you have to lie
    2007-12-28 09:02 PM
    Don't know what to say to that, mine carried over. I doubt there's a difference in how the PC itunes handles things than a Mac itunes.
    2007-12-28 09:04 PM
    Right... nobody do that, lol, unless you want to lose all your playcounts.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2007-12-28 09:05 PM
    Right... nobody do that, lol, unless you want to lose all your playcounts.
    Looks like its a loss either way for redcard, because reimporting off the CD's will still have no play count.
    2007-12-28 09:08 PM
    Well, it definitely doesn't work on the PC. So you convert an mp3 with 150 plays to AAC, and you have both files recording 150 plays?
    To live, you have to lie
    2007-12-28 09:09 PM
    Yup. But I took a look around, there's an Apple Script for iTunes that will manually set the play count of selected songs to whatever you want.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/script...newplayedcount
    2007-12-28 09:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD