So after waiting in line last night to get a new phone I get into the store with my friend who attempts to purchase a phone with cash. He is an existing cingular customer and just looking to renew his plan and get a new phone. Problem is apple requires you to have a credit card... which he doesn't have or believe in. What upset me was in the whole time we were waiting in line we were just told we needed a photo ID and nothing else, no pamphlets were handed out, nothing.. So I had to continue to wait in line for him while he ran off to get his id and still nothing about the credit cards.

I think its nuts that they require you to have a credit card even if you are an ACTIVE cingular customer. Needless to say I was disappointed in Apple as well as the Apple store for not catering to cash customers especially in this day when credit debt is growing and really hurting a lot of people.

[/rant]
    Last edited by groundedsst; 2008-07-12 at 03:36 PM.
    2008-07-12 03:30 PM
    although i feel bad for you having to wait in line, i cant really sympathize with your buddy. I also find it real hard to believe he doesnt have a credit card but is on cingular, not unless he is under his parents OR he has a pay as you go plan, which you cant use with the iphone. It states on Apples and AT&Ts websites this:

What to bring.
    To purchase and activate iPhone 3G, you need the following:*

Credit card
    Social security number
    Valid, government-issued photo ID
    Your current wireless account number and password or PIN (if you’re new to AT&T)

As for not catering to cash customers, youll see that happen more and more for many reasons. The american dollar is worthless, has been for awhile now. With credit cards, regardless of the value of the dollar they are backed by banks. Heck look at stores in NYC they accept Euros.

As a rule of thumb, whenever you have to sign or renew a contract 99.9% of the time you will need a credit card.

Like i said I feel sorry for you having to wait for him, but this could have easily been avoided on so many different levels, and i dont see how your friend could blame Apple at all. I also understand that you just wanted to let off some steam.....which is fine too
    2008-07-12 03:48 PM
    Lots of people do not have credit cards, I for one is one of those people.
    Last edited by opusandbill; 2008-07-12 at 04:35 PM.
    2008-07-12 03:52 PM
    You can always purchase one of those Visa Gift Cards or something similar. You can also use Paypal, in which you can transfer directly from your bank. No actual 'credit' is used.
    2008-07-12 05:38 PM
    There is a difference between "debt" and buying somethng.

Cash must be accepted to pay any debt (loan/credit) given. But there is nothing stopping any place from not accepting cash for goods or service.

A place can decide anyway they want how you have to pay for something they want to sell you.

A debt is when you have to pay back a debt. They cannot refuse your attempt to pay them off and put any extra demands on how.

U.S. Treasury - FAQs: Legal Tender Status of currency
    2008-07-12 07:55 PM
    although i feel bad for you having to wait in line, i cant really sympathize with your buddy. I also find it real hard to believe he doesnt have a credit card but is on cingular, not unless he is under his parents OR he has a pay as you go plan, which you cant use with the iphone. It states on Apples and AT&Ts websites this:

What to bring.
    To purchase and activate iPhone 3G, you need the following:*

Credit card
    Social security number
    Valid, government-issued photo ID
    Your current wireless account number and password or PIN (if you’re new to AT&T)

As for not catering to cash customers, youll see that happen more and more for many reasons. The american dollar is worthless, has been for awhile now. With credit cards, regardless of the value of the dollar they are backed by banks. Heck look at stores in NYC they accept Euros.

As a rule of thumb, whenever you have to sign or renew a contract 99.9% of the time you will need a credit card.

Like i said I feel sorry for you having to wait for him, but this could have easily been avoided on so many different levels, and i dont see how your friend could blame Apple at all. I also understand that you just wanted to let off some steam.....which is fine too

He is 24 and lives on his own. Pays rent with check, pays cingular @ the store in cash and has no real need for a credit card. I do know that the account is not pay as you go because he had the same rate plan as me prior to me getting my iphone.

They said he COULD pay for the phone in cash at the store

They just needed to swipe a card for what they called "back checking credit". Which I though was absurd seeing as he is an exiting customer.

I just don't see why having a credit card is a requirement.
    2008-07-12 11:03 PM
    ist that illegal to not accept cash for items. i thought the dollar was good fro everything. u know wht im pretty sure that is illegal
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!
    2008-07-13 12:16 AM
    when i got mine at at&t they said they would accept cash for the iphone
    2008-07-13 12:23 AM
    For cash, supposedly apple and att stores were allowing people to purchase gift cards, and then use the gift card as a form of payment for the phone.
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."
    2008-07-13 12:29 AM
    ist that illegal to not accept cash for items. i thought the dollar was good fro everything. u know wht im pretty sure that is illegal
    No it is not when purchasing something with a contract ( it is in the US federal code) We were able to do it the first time around because we did not activate it in the store. they need the credit card so that you dont skip out on any commitment you make.

BTW this is NOT an apple policy it is an AT&T policy, and in reality a policy with all carriers. Since he is a current AT&T subscriber he MIGHT have gotten away with it at a AT&T store because they have all his info. But I dont think that Apple store has anyway to verify everything that AT&T can.
    2008-07-13 12:47 AM
    No it is not when purchasing something with a contract ( it is in the US federal code) We were able to do it the first time around because we did not activate it in the store. they need the credit card so that you dont skip out on any commitment you make.

BTW this is NOT an apple policy it is an AT&T policy, and in reality a policy with all carriers. Since he is a current AT&T subscriber he MIGHT have gotten away with it at a AT&T store because they have all his info. But I dont think that Apple store has anyway to verify everything that AT&T can.

They said they could have called cingular to verify the plan and the upgrade of his phone but they needed a physical card in hand. So in theory you will NOT be able to get an iphone with out a credit card @ the apple stores. We have yet to try the cingular store but they wont take cash as a payment to pre-order and hold a phone until it comes in.

What boggles my mind about all of this is that when people use credit cards the company who is making the sale has to PAY for the transaction... thats why certain gas stations are now cutting people a break if they use cash versus credit.
    2008-07-13 01:07 AM
    did u not see my post two above yours? lol
    2008-07-13 01:23 AM
    i used only cash they had to run it on a gift card, no credit cards involved at all, and i'm existing customer with V1 when to V2
    2008-07-13 01:50 AM
    i used only cash they had to run it on a gift card, no credit cards involved at all, and i'm existing customer with V1 when to V2
    I wish I would have known this. I wonder if they would do this for him over here.
    2008-07-13 03:54 AM
    That doesn't really make sense being that you are paying in USD even if purchasing with a Debit or CC. Only time it would maybe hurt to accept cash in USD is if at the end of the day each day you just put the money in a safe in your house. That way as the US dollar depreciates your earnings would decrease. Some banks allow you to convert between different currencies online or in person. Unless USD value decreases significantly before you deposit don't see how it would matter.

With NYC some stores there as other places do accept Euros but once again as you're paying USD doesn't matter. Would only make sense if you were charing in Euros.

On topic though I had no interest in getting an Iphone 3G but I do remember it saying to bring a CC. actually first thing listed at Apple - iPhone - Where to Buy. I always though(could be and probably wrong) they wanted you to pay with CC in case if you tried to cancel in the 30 days and keep iphone.

If you have checks most banks give debit cards also though which would solve prob.

they should've had signs still though
    2008-07-13 04:30 AM
    Why didn't you guys just put it into an apple gift card. Thats what they did to me and my friends

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro
    2008-07-13 05:06 AM
    You guys without credit cards are crazy

Even if you don't like them, building a good credit score can help you a LONG way in the future when buying a home or getting a big loan / mortgage. I've had a credit card with a low limit for almost 6 years now and it's tied to my checking/debit account. When I buy something with it, I can just log in to my bank and transfer from my debit to credit and pay it off the same day. I never spend more than what I can afford and I've been solidly building up my credit for the last 5 years, allowing me to get approve in a couple of big loans recently since I'm going through some big changes in my life.

Seriously, don't be afraid of credit cards, they can be really, really helpful to your financial life if you are responsible with them. Without a credit card, you can't build your credit score and it may make it harder for you in the future.

Sorry for the slight derail but with the numbers of people here stating they don't have a credit card I had to throw this out here.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.
    2008-07-13 06:42 AM
    Not having debt is key tho. If you never had any bills to pay to cards or car payments or mortgage think how nice that would be.

Anyways why was this moved to the app discussion forum?
    2008-07-13 10:23 PM
    at the apple store in Richmond va they just had people buy gift cards and use those.
    2008-07-14 01:01 AM

Anyways why was this moved to the app discussion forum?
    No clue, was wondering that myself, moving back to general chat
    2008-07-14 02:52 PM
22 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD