I can't for one second believe that ps3 is a better media player.

1. There's a format war going on right now people, why buy a 400 dollar machine just to play blu-ray discs when it may very well lose? (and most likely will)

2. With the 360, you can play wmv-hd movies, and if you look around on the internet, you will see that people are able to convert BOTH hd-dvd and blu-ray discs to wmv-hd....so problem solved for choosing a technology

3. With the new update, the 360 can play divx natively and can also connect to any computer to play media (that's right, no more need of media center)

4. Should hd-dvds win, all you need to do is buy the attachment. In my opinion, this is smart because rather than tack on more that rises price, you have the choice to add it on.

5. Anyone that has had an original xbox and knows the Dev team knows that once they truly hack the 360, it will have amazing support and features that will allow amazing media features and endless other add ons that was never available on the ps2. In other words, the Dev team is much more impressive.

As far as output goes, the 360 is natively 720p (which is better than 1080i). They do however, upconvert to 1080p. This shouldn't matter to most people as the advantage of 1080p isn't noticeable unless your hdtv is over 55 in.

Oh, and also has much better games. lol.

So hands down, 360 is the all around winner.
    2008-01-05 07:47 PM
    I can't for one second believe that ps3 is a better media player.

1. There's a format war going on right now people, why buy a 400 dollar machine just to play blu-ray discs when it may very well lose? (and most likely will)

2. With the 360, you can play wmv-hd movies, and if you look around on the internet, you will see that people are able to convert BOTH hd-dvd and blu-ray discs to wmv-hd....so problem solved for choosing a technology

3. With the new update, the 360 can play divx natively and can also connect to any computer to play media (that's right, no more need of media center)

4. Should hd-dvds win, all you need to do is buy the attachment. In my opinion, this is smart because rather than tack on more that rises price, you have the choice to add it on.

5. Anyone that has had an original xbox and knows the Dev team knows that once they truly hack the 360, it will have amazing support and features that will allow amazing media features and endless other add ons that was never available on the ps2. In other words, the Dev team is much more impressive.

As far as output goes, the 360 is natively 720p (which is better than 1080i). They do however, upconvert to 1080p. This shouldn't matter to most people as the advantage of 1080p isn't noticeable unless your hdtv is over 55 in.

Oh, and also has much better games. lol.

So hands down, 360 is the all around winner.

i actually think that blu-ray will win this format war
    2008-01-05 11:15 PM
    Now why is that? I will obviously respect your opinion, but I am all the way behind hd-dvd.

Hd-dvds are cheaper to make. All they need to do is modify current dvd making machines. Blu-ray requires all new equipment.

Sony has created the blu-ray technology (or is one of the major makers). Every format war Sony has been in they have lost. Betamax was sony's technology, obviously vhs won.. The mini disc (I believe they are still used in asia) was sony.

Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are equal as far as video quality goes. The major difference is that Blu-Ray discs hold more. If the past is any indication, such a minor difference shouldn't drive consumers to spend more.

Back to VHS vs. Betmax. Betamax was said to produce dvd quality picture and better audio. They did not win. Another great example would be the 360 vs. ps3. Equal in terms of graphics, but the ps3 has more power that is rendered useless (who knows in the future though...).

Long story short, I think that if the past is any indication with sony that blu-ray will lose.
    2008-01-06 12:58 AM
    Blu-ray has already won. I always see like 20 blu-ray movies. And like 4 HD-DVD movies.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..
    2008-01-06 01:26 AM
    Let me preface this with a big fat "I don't care who wins the war because I can watch either format." With that being said, I prefer to purchase movies on the HD-DVD Combo disks so I can watch them anywhere (home, car, lap top, etc) and use Handbrake to convert them for use on my iPhone.

Bruce
    2008-01-06 01:35 AM

PS3 Does all this as well PLUS MORE
    2008-01-06 01:51 AM
    On the topic of Blu-ray or HDDVD: Warner decided to go exclusive Blu-ray, they have been doing both (will happen around May), and Target has been said to go exclusive Blu-ray. Seems to me like it's winning. I hope that the people behind HDDVD work with the Blu-ray people to make a PERFECT disc for everyone.
    2008-01-07 12:33 AM
    Its awesome if you play with friends etc. If you like to play like as downtime etc by yourself, its not worth it.
    Ah, i never have people here i usually go there so ill just play at their houses. Thanks!
    2008-01-07 01:11 AM
    Now why is that? I will obviously respect your opinion, but I am all the way behind hd-dvd.

Hd-dvds are cheaper to make. All they need to do is modify current dvd making machines. Blu-ray requires all new equipment.

Sony has created the blu-ray technology (or is one of the major makers). Every format war Sony has been in they have lost. Betamax was sony's technology, obviously vhs won.. The mini disc (I believe they are still used in asia) was sony.

Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are equal as far as video quality goes. The major difference is that Blu-Ray discs hold more. If the past is any indication, such a minor difference shouldn't drive consumers to spend more.

Back to VHS vs. Betmax. Betamax was said to produce dvd quality picture and better audio. They did not win. Another great example would be the 360 vs. ps3. Equal in terms of graphics, but the ps3 has more power that is rendered useless (who knows in the future though...).

Long story short, I think that if the past is any indication with sony that blu-ray will lose.
    I am just having the feeling that ppl have enough of DVD, blu-ray just sounds more exciting and ppl love it.
    Beside, warner and new line have already announce that they will officially go blu. Guess other will follow soon to end this format war.
    2008-01-07 09:52 AM
    Its funny, blue ray is the ps3s main selling point - its all they ever talk about.

Games -> no.
    Online -> poor.
    Graphics -> crappy lighting and fps rates - check gamespots 360 -> ps3 comparisons (its all cos the games got developed firston 360 then ported i bet)

I own a 360, and quite frankly, its the best - by a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong shot.
    2008-01-07 10:28 AM
    wii-interactive
    xbox 360-webplay
    ps3-graphics

PS3 FTW
    2008-01-07 11:00 AM
    im a PS3 fan! i think its each to their own...

The latest fw for the PS3 also supports divx now

I had a Wii - i played it like 4 times then got bored, it collected dust for 6 months before i sold it lol

xbox - i had the original, this was class, but i just didnt like it altho i did have fun hacking it, using evo-x / xmbc (or xbmc i forget the order the xbox media center 360 thingy) and being able to play GB, NES, SNES, & N64 games on it

xbox360 - i havent had one, but my friends have....it is nice dont get me wrong, just not for me.....as i said, each to their own and all that

so PS3 gets my vote - im loving burnout paradise at the moment (yes i know its on xbox360 as well) and also assasins creed
    Last edited by jtanner; 2008-01-07 at 11:46 AM.
    2008-01-07 11:19 AM
    Why all this babbling in a few years were gona have somethin totally different than Compact Discs and they are gona go out of style like Cassetes and 8-traks lol.
    MyPhone is better than yours
    2008-01-07 11:29 AM
    but thats just the point tanner, u like burnmout paradise and assasins creed- both on 360, paradise with far better online play than ps3 and assasins creed runs better on 360 again check gamespot.

Just saying.
    2008-01-07 11:41 AM
    but thats just the point tanner, u like burnmout paradise and assasins creed- both on 360, paradise with far better online play than ps3 and assasins creed runs better on 360 again check gamespot.

Just saying.
    i know they are on both consoles, i just meant im currently loving those games - the online play within the ps3 paradise city seems wickd to me, what does the xbox version do that the ps3 one doesnt? i can play 8 people at a time, with loads of different challenges etc.

There will always be games that are out for multiple consoles but is better on one than the other, then later along comes a game thats better on the other compared to yours - if that makes sense lol (i know what i mean in my head)

Thing is, i suppose im not a true gamer etc, i chose the PS3 out of personal preferance after playing on both consoles, i didnt choose it because i believed its faster or has better online or whatever reasons ppl have....bottom line, i just prefer the PS3 lol simple as im not fussed whats better at what lol - its does everything i want out of it, and the games i like run perfectly for me

if i was an enthusiast then perhaps i would've chosen a 360 - going by other pure gamers opinions, (and to be honest, they told me to get one)....
    but im no sheep....i wanted a ps3 because i prefered so i got one lol
    2008-01-07 11:53 AM
    Why not get a job and buy both?
    2008-01-07 12:00 PM
    Why not get a job and buy both?
    who's that aimed at!???

i have a job, and if i wanted both then i would of bought both but i dont! i only wanted a ps3
    2008-01-07 12:13 PM
    had a 360, then bought a 1080p 52 inch hdtv and got a PS3 for the home theatre as 360 doesnt have native 1080p, just upscaled.

I love my PS3, theres friends for online games, theres a playstation store with tons of free demos in high definition and tons of other reasons. I like the feel of the PS3 controller alot more then xbox, ps3 is small, xbox controller is chunky and heavy. I had 4 xboxs cuz the red right problem, and bought my ps3 the first day it came out (nov17 2006) and after a year and 3 months, i have not had a single problem with it, and use it hours and hours a day. If you want quality picture and home theatre, go sony, if the number of availale games is important, go xbox. Gotta remember, ps3 is only using maybe half is ability in its cell processors bc designers are learning how to code with it, and have not perfected it like xbox and pc processors

so can you imagine what will be coming out for ps3 in the future and its quality!!!!! Wa-Wa-Wee-Waa
    Last edited by 1_iPhone_Lovin_Canadian; 2008-01-07 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-01-07 12:37 PM
    360 ... ps3 blows
    2008-01-08 08:44 AM
    who's that aimed at!???

i have a job, and if i wanted both then i would of bought both but i dont! i only wanted a ps3

he's probably aiming at me

DUDE, here is your answer: i can easily afford both too if i want to, but i don't want to have 2 machines lying around in my house and i have other things to do than just sitting around playing games.
    Last edited by bookmark; 2008-01-08 at 04:12 PM. Reason: none
    2008-01-08 04:10 PM
87 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD