I've been dealing with this for months now and it's now gotten to the point where it's just driving me crazy.

For some reason, when I have my iPhone plugged into my PowerBook via USB, it will randomly disconnect itself then reconnect itself. This is a pain because if my ringer is on, it will make that little beep noise. It also disconnects from iTunes then reconnects. If it happens to disconnect and reconnect quickly (like it sometimes does), then I will get an error message on iTunes saying that it couldn't properly read the iPhone. To fix it, I have to disconnect it and reconnect it and I'm good to go again. Another reason it's bad is because it sometimes happens while it's syncing... which obviously is not a good thing.

Does anyone have any advice for me? The dock/cable is in perfect condition. I have no idea why it's been doing this for so long.

(PS - Another idea I have about it is if it's an issue with my actual computer (perhaps just the model in general) because I've tried plugging in self-powering external hard drives before, and the PowerBook cannot handle it. It will only support external hard drives with external power supplies.)
    Last edited by billchase2; 2008-01-13 at 12:34 AM.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad
    2008-01-13 12:32 AM
    Mine does a similar thing and will repeatedly connect/disconnect all while connected. I have yet to figure out a solution.
    2008-01-25 04:07 PM
    Are you plugging in directly to your laptop USB or through a USB hub?? I had a similar issue, it ended up being my USB hub.
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped
    2008-01-25 04:38 PM
    mine is plugging directly into the computer no hub involved.
    2008-01-25 08:20 PM
    mine does this as well with the front USB ports, but only with the aftermarket "griffin" ipod cable I bought from an AT&T store. When I use the stock apple cable it works fine
    2008-01-25 08:24 PM
    mine did this too.
    but that was with the standard apple cable.
    i'm using one of my old ipod cables now.
    "Somebody turn on the lights...its getting little to dark in here...I can't see you...when I'm dreaming...I can't see you....I can't see you..."
    2008-01-26 05:00 AM
    *bump, @billchase2 have you found the solution yet? As i too have this problem, all my previously synced items are all erased and i can't sync because the iphone keeps reconnecting. After a while it just seems to stop trying. Very very annoying!
    2008-06-16 02:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.