Going to get a 2.4 Macbook tommorw - student discount, free ipod touch, and free printer - why not? It will be my first mac ever, Ive been on PCs since I was 10 - 22 years old now. Any first time user/buying experience you guys want to let me know? Thanks
    2008-07-25 03:35 AM
    Congrats on making the jump. I would sign up at a few forums so that you can come to grips with the new OS.

Hit up Mac Rumors Forum for sure. For software hit up mac update. This site has LOADS of apps that you can use. Anything else let me know...
    2008-07-25 04:40 AM
    Don't buy unnecessary software the Apple reps will introduce you to, espcially "Lowjack". Reality, no one will return your Mac, plus why would you pay $80.

If you a techie guy, take care of your electronics, Apple Care is not necessary.
    2008-07-25 05:00 AM
    good choice, I have the 2.4 macbook as well, couldnt be happier
    2008-07-25 05:28 AM
    Dont buy games.
    EDM
    2008-07-25 05:32 AM
    Marware wrist pads! This is awesome for a white one, unless you wash your wrists every 20 minutes... lol

Also, the InCase sleeves or bags are super nice and well worth the extra to keep that 2.4 snug!

Grab desklickr... it changes your wallpapers from flickr, can be set to a time or set manually:
    http://desklickr.isnot.tv/

I use Aurora as an alarm clock, there are free ones but this has some extra tweeks that I personally like and it only costs $15, still cheaper than slamming your iPhone against the wall when the alarm goes off! haha
    http://metaquark.de/aurora/
    Last edited by hookerpuncher; 2008-07-25 at 06:54 AM. Reason: thought of some other stuff
    2008-07-25 05:54 AM
    Going to get a 2.4 Macbook tommorw - student discount, free ipod touch, and free printer - why not? It will be my first mac ever, Ive been on PCs since I was 10 - 22 years old now. Any first time user/buying experience you guys want to let me know? Thanks
    I was a pc person as well for a very long time... I have now converted completely over to the Mac's and I just love them and the experience!

Things are a little different but you will get the hang of it.... best place to learn is youtube... do a search for Macbook, Macbook software, Macbook games etc.... and then watch everything you can find.... you will be amazed at what those guys get their hands on...

And also by watching the videos you will understand more as well... but in reality if you have been on a PC that long converting will be a piece of cake!
    2008-07-25 06:45 AM
    snow leopard is out in a year!
    2008-07-25 06:53 AM
    I'm in the same boat, in about a week I will hopefully have a Macbook and free iPod touch! I started doing some research on Macbooks, and there seems to be a lot of defects with discoloration and cracking on the case... have any of you guys had problems with this? Or is there something you can do to prevent it?
    2008-07-25 07:31 AM
    So far I have not had a problem with mine... I was reading about it as well but also read that they have fixed this problem... and I hope mine doesn't do that...

The people that had the problems took it back to the store and they replaced the case right in the store....

Maybe in time you might get discoloration because it is like a heavy plastic but by then I will buy a new one... LOL

Did you read up on the Macbook Pro? And see what kinds of problems they have had with them? With the problems they have had with them that is why I went with the Macbook...

You can get keyboard covers for the Macbook on ebay and wrist protectors as well...
    2008-07-25 07:36 AM
    thanks guys, apple store here open at 10:00AM - so we offically have a countdown (3hrs 6minutes) - haha, thanks everyone once again for all the useful info and keep it coming!
    2008-07-25 12:53 PM
    the only thing I would say is macs are going through a re-design and a transition to touch screens. Also, current macs will have a price reduction.
    If you find my Postings useful or interesting. Press the .... Thanks Button.
    2008-07-25 01:42 PM
    Yeah that's another thing I was thinking about, because I don't want to buy a new Macbook and then next week they come out with a newer and better one for the same prices, but I'm about to go back to college again and I want a new laptop install of the Toshiba one I have, and I want to ditch Vista... so I'm not sure what to do!
    2008-07-25 08:00 PM
    Don't do it man!
    2008-07-26 07:49 PM
    WELCOME TO MAC . The Best
    2008-07-26 08:23 PM
    Just remember u can alway load XP on it... its SUPER FAST!!!!!!

-iP3G RebelSIM -Tmo
    -iFone 2nd Gen - 2.0 - Tmo
    -iMac 24" running WinXP Pro
    -Black Berry Pearl
    -HTC Tilt unlocked WM6.1
    2008-07-26 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD