How far have we come with iPhones today?
    8GB Apple iPhone
    2008-09-11 03:27 AM
    Far enough that even after a year of having it....I'm not shopping for a new cell phone, pda or iPod.....from someone who used to upgrade every 6-8 months on these type of devices.
    2008-09-11 03:39 AM
    2008-09-11 04:10 AM
    Far enough that even after a year of having it....I'm not shopping for a new cell phone, pda or iPod.....from someone who used to upgrade every 6-8 months on these type of devices.
    Same here....6 months max, I was bored.

Unless you count the fact that I bought the 3G when it came out
    2008-09-11 04:31 AM
    I don't know how I could go on without an iPhone now that I've had one for over a year.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.
    2008-09-11 04:43 AM
    I have gone through a few. Always convince myself that it's too expensive so I sell it for a small profit and end up buying another one. Not willing to admit I can't live without it though.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
    2008-09-11 04:49 AM
    We've come a lot farther than the newbs of today will ever know. The story of the iphone plays out like a goodfella's book.

In the beginning we had to crack the phone open and solder jumpers in to make it work outside the ATT network. "Devs" were new iphone owners with a curious interest of how they ticked. The first programs developed for jailbreaking were FUNCTIONAL, not BS apps. RSBT was one of them.

The iPhone bandwagon was in full force, but people hadn't jumped on the "dev" bandwagon just yet and "money" in the apps program wasn't even in consideration. We were doing it for sport, for the thrill, and for the advancement of the community.

Everyone knew that once Apple released the SDK the "innocence" was over. Dev's that developed for fun started seeing $$$$ signs and we knew that the days of apps written by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts to better the community were crashing into a brick wall of greed.

Today nearly 40% of iphone owners (and growing every day) don't even know what the frigg RSBT is. They've never seen their iphone screen scroll VERTICALLY rather than horizontally.

So where are we today? We've been "born" into the iphone ways, moved through adolescence as we jailbroke and designed new and exciting apps with a nearly unrestricted firmware, moved though the 1.1.x days of chains on our feet as things like locked springboards and 4 icon docks, and have now graduated into a greedy environment where everyone thinks they deserve a dollar for doing anything for the iPhone. (special thanks and mention to the devs that have decided to give a finger to the app store).

In the end we have much more advanced apps on a more powerful FW with features we used to lay awake and think about at night. "Boy it would be cool if we could do that!"

.........at what moral cost however, time will tell.
    2008-09-11 05:14 AM
    ^^ Well Said ^^
    2008-09-11 05:21 AM
    And more,........

Jail breaking used to take at LEAST 45 minutes as you sat by your phone perfectly timing hitting buttons and loading programs while watching miles of code scroll by. If you screwed up, you got a nice shiny brick for another few hours while you tried to fix it and hoped you COULD.

It's like a second life to the original iPhone Jail breakers. A moment in time that you had to be here for. These are the one's that are truly Livin the iPhone Life.
    2008-09-11 05:32 AM
    RSBT was one of them.
    I remember that....remember needing to download a million different files and programs to unlock?
    2008-09-11 08:25 PM
    But the successfullness of it is what amazes me. Moto nodding was never this successful, even when taking into the capabilities of the iPhone over a razr
    2008-09-11 09:14 PM
    And more,........

Jail breaking used to take at LEAST 45 minutes as you sat by your phone perfectly timing hitting buttons and loading programs while watching miles of code scroll by. If you screwed up, you got a nice shiny brick for another few hours while you tried to fix it and hoped you COULD.

It's like a second life to the original iPhone Jail breakers. A moment in time that you had to be here for. These are the one's that are truly Livin the iPhone Life.
    You're right about the time used for jailbreaking! It used to be a tedious process that had many steps, and if you missed a step, it was pretty much back to square one.

We've become spoiled now...
    2008-09-11 11:05 PM
    Amen, one1. Those were the days...
    2008-09-11 11:15 PM
    I don't know how I could go on without an iPhone now that I've had one for over a year.
    + 1
    2008-09-12 02:59 AM
    + 1
    I'll raise you 1.
    2008-09-12 03:16 AM
    my first unlock took 24 hours back in december for 1.1.1 since some ****** bag had totally f'd the baseband and i had to virginize.
    2008-09-12 03:37 AM
    every day this phone gets better and better. great posts
    2008-09-13 06:39 AM
    Just got my iphone and cant see myself with anyother phone
    2008-09-13 11:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD