User Tag List

Hi people

I have been always using a windows,and now have been looking forward to switch to mac.I have been read a lot abt both but hv not been able to conclude which one to get.

i would like to know whether there r any compatibility issues n what are the softwares that windows have but mac dont.

I am not into gaming,i need it for office work,multimedia purpose and a lil bit programming!

And i would also like to install linux on it(i know both are based on uni, but would like to learn it),can that be done?

Please help me out.
    2008-12-04 02:24 PM
    I dont know that linux can be installed on the new macbook yet or not. But there is microsoft office for macs, and to use it on a windows pc, you just have to save as compatability mode. Really the only difference is looks of hardware and software. Well, not counting Vista.
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    2008-12-04 05:00 PM
    Windows is not based on Unix, it's based on DOS. If you're not into gaming, there's no reason to stick with a PC. The Mac cannot be matched for Multi-media, and any PC user who tries to tell you otherwise is grasping. As for programming, the Mac provides Xcode (based on C++) for free, with tons of documentation. And if you're getting an Intel Mac, you can run both Windows and Mac OS's natively (no emulation) if you wished, so there's no compatibility issues.
    2008-12-04 05:09 PM
    I dont know that linux can be installed on the new macbook yet or not. But there is microsoft office for macs, and to use it on a windows pc, you just have to save as compatability mode. Really the only difference is looks of hardware and software. Well, not counting Vista.
    You don't even need to do compatibility mode if the PC has Office 2007 on it
    2008-12-04 06:02 PM
    ^I'm torn considering I just got my first Mac, but have used Windows for a long time, while using Macs periodically when the schools in my area had them.

I'd say a Mac, since you're not gaming (and even if you are, the new MacBook won't be terrible), simply based on the fact that you can boot Windows if you like, which is great.
    Respect your elders.
    2008-12-04 06:21 PM
    OR... if a mac is to expenisve you can hackint0sh a pc and that works like a CHARM!!!
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)
    2008-12-04 09:00 PM
    I don't game. I use mac.

I own a Windows desktop that is never used. If I gamed I suppose I'd use it occasionally
    2008-12-04 10:52 PM
    No doubt, Mac!
    2008-12-05 05:33 AM
    Hi people

i need it for office work,multimedia purpose and a lil bit programming!
    Hey,

You can work easily on such kind of work on windows too.

Well, I would prefer to stick with Windows.

2008-12-05 05:53 AM
    You can install linux via live cd. Since Mac OS X is based on UNIX, Linux runs very well, I have a nicely working copy of Fedora 10 and Knoppix 5.10 on my MacBook.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473
    2008-12-05 11:52 PM
    the eternal debate...actually i would say it all comes down to your personal preference and use. Macs are known for their stability if you can live within its bounds and limitations. On the other hand windows is more accessible judging by the millions (probably) of apps available for it; but needs to be handled with a little more care and vigilance. i have been a windows user all my life and i have not been a target yet of anything which has left my OS crippled. but reading your primary use i guess you can make the jump.
    2008-12-10 09:58 AM