I want to buy a Netbook my budget is about 600-700 dollars. I was interested in the MSI Wind because I can put Mac OS on it and basically have a macbook.

The only problem is I went to newegg.com and saw like 6 different variations of the MSI. Which one would be the most suitable to run MacOS?

I figure it'll be 400+ for the Netbook, $$$ for accessories. I'd prefer an MSI that has 100GB + Hard Drive and enough memory to run MacOS. I don't mind buying more RAM memory either. What would be a good setup?
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.
    2009-02-23 02:10 AM
    ^Just a heads up, I saw on QVC (like a home shopping channel) today they're selling Dell Mini Inspiron 10's for about $550 with 160GB HDD and 1GB RAM.

Not sure if you're heart-set on the Wind yet, just another option for you.
    Respect your elders.
    2009-02-23 02:35 AM
    depends what size you want. If you want a small netbook to run osx and windows get an acer aspire one. 160gig drive 1g ram 2.5lbs all for $289 at wallmart. I have one and was surprised at how nice it is. I gab it before the real macbook sometimes
    2009-02-23 02:59 AM
    Just wanting to buy a Netbook that will handle MacOS. I know there are computer people lurking on this forum who are very knowledable. I own a dell inspiron right now and this thing is a brick to lug to school along with my books.

Hey ImBuggin are you running MacOS and can it handle it fine?
    Last edited by gQstatus05; 2009-02-23 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-02-23 03:02 AM
    Just buy a macbook pro, and be done with it....
    2009-02-23 03:20 AM
    I already own a Macbook, Dell Inspiron Laptop, 2 Dell Dimension Desktops. I really just want it because it's portability and size. My MacBook weighs almost as much as my Dell Inspiron.
    2009-02-23 03:35 AM
    Freaking sell one
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    2009-02-23 03:37 AM
    I Have an EEE PC 900. It's not much 20GB SSD (4GB soldered, 16GB user-upgradable), 1GB DDR2, Celeron (I bought this like 2 months before the Atom dropped).

Honestly, I'd say go for the Dell Mini 9. Engadget is reporting that it is the easiest of all netbooks to install OS X on.

However, I'm waiting for the EEE PC T91. It is a netvertible; netbook + convertable tablet.

Why do you want Mac OS X so bad? Win XP runs so nice on netbooks. My EEE is my laptop. I sync my iPhone to it as my main PC.

BTW 1000th post W0000000t!
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2009-02-23 12:19 PM
    Lol. Congrats on reaching 1k. I prefer MacOS because I'm getting used to it since I bought my MacBook. So you're saying I should get the Dell Mini 9?

And what do you mean by this:

(4GB soldered, 16GB user-upgradable)

Does that mean I have to physically open this up and solder on RAM memory? How many slots does it have since you say 16GB upgradable. I didn't know they made them that capable (motherboards)
    2009-02-23 01:09 PM
    depends what size you want. If you want a small netbook to run osx and windows get an acer aspire one. 160gig drive 1g ram 2.5lbs all for $289 at wallmart. I have one and was surprised at how nice it is. I gab it before the real macbook sometimes
    yes. I have it dual boot xp or osx. You need to change the wifi card 10$ and add more ram to 1.5 g(if you want) 30-40$.Search utube you will see demos. The only feature of the entire laptop that doesn't work perfectly like a mac is the sleep feature. I don't use it anyhow. You can but a full conversion kit on ebay for $65 with instructions.

Yes the computer is tiny and very portable thats why I got it. I also have a macbook and northgate (pc)laptop and find myuself grabbing the little one often.

I like it better than the dell because of the 160 gig hard drive instead od 8gig ssd drive in the dell. There is not much room for anything on the dell without expanding
    Last edited by imbuggin; 2009-02-23 at 04:32 PM.
    2009-02-23 04:30 PM
    My mom has an MSI wind and I am super jealous. She got hers on sale for 250 at best buy a couple months back )10 inch version, 1 gig memory, 160gig hdd, and OSX runs just fine with a new wifi card. She tends to boot XP though due to personal preference
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
    2009-02-23 04:35 PM
    Thanks guys I was looking at a compatibility chart for netbooks able to run macosx and the dell mini 9 was 100 percent compatible along with the msi wind following closely behind. I already have a write up and plan on doing this myself. I'm more concerned about the RAM because I know this will probably get the most use out of all my pc's. If I can upgrade the ram that will be a plus. 8 - 20 GB HDD is kind of small for me. I find that when I have less I use more and when I have more I use less.
    2009-02-23 09:22 PM
    ****** YaY!! I made my decision and bought:

Dell Mini 9, here are the specs

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (910) Laptop/Netbook

Cherry Red Color

Intel Atom Processor N270 1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512 L2 Cache

8.9 Inch LED Display (1024X600) (Better Than LCD)

1GB DDR2 533MHz 1 DIMM

32GB Solid State Flash Drive (Faster Than Normal Hard Drive)

NO DVD/CD-RW (Optional External DVD/CD Drive)

Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950

DELL Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card

Integrated 10/100 Network Card

Built-in Bluetooth 2.1

3 USB 2.0

1 Media Card Reader (SD/MS/Pro.MMC)

S-Vedio For Output to Monitor

Linux Ubuntu Version 8.04.1

28 WHr 4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Weight 2.2 lbs

1 Year Dell Warranty

I also went to the apple store and bought a family pack OSX Leopard install CD (Up to 5 PC's) for $200 bucks.

I ended up spending $650 for everything.
    2009-02-25 04:17 AM
    Nice little notebook....one1 has one.
    2009-02-25 04:28 AM
    Wow 32GB SSD?? That's quite an SSD. Congrats on your purchase.

BTW: What I meant by 4GB Soldered and 16GB User Upgradable is this: There is a 4GB SSD that is soldered to the motherboard. It cannot be removed, even if it fails. That may seem sucky, but there is also a 16GB SSD that can be removed (much like how you remove RAM, though it is not RAM) and exchanged for larger capacity if need be.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2009-02-25 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD