Okay, apparently I can't get U-Verse (some stupid technicalities) so I now need to decide what my next move is.

Currently, I have comcrap. I pay roughly $100 before taxes and fees and get: About 150 SD channels and 30 HD's. One HD DVR and two additional SD boxes. This is bundled with there Cable internet as well.

Pros: HD is good, DVR mostly works.

Cons: DVR has minimal features, UI is about 10 years old. Service cuts in and out at least once a month. No remote DVR functions.

I am looking at either replacing my DVR with TiVo, or get DirecTV.

TiVo: Really adding on to my existing cable, the initial cost is a bit steep: minimum $212. I'm not too familiar with TiVo (perhaps some TiVo users could chime in?)

DirecTV: I found a package for $65 a month. This includes a free HD DVR (with HD service included), 200+ channels, a ton of HD channels, remote DVR functionality (they actually have an iPhone app) and two additional SD recievers. I'm definitely leaning towards "the dish". I can get $25 cable internet from comcrap or am elligible for $25 DSL from AT&T.

I was against the dish for a long time, but may be coming around. So this is where I could use some help. How good is the DVR for TiVo or DirecTV? Users of either service, how is it for you (Price, Quality of Service, Interuptions?, anything worth mentioning)?

TIA for all your replies.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2009-04-10 07:30 AM
    I love my directv. The iphone app is really sweet. The bad thing with dt is the contract. The dvr works really well and holds plenty of hd content.
    2009-04-10 08:03 AM
    Very interesting, does your service cut in and out like cable tries to make it seem?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2009-04-10 08:06 AM
    I think out of those choices, Comcast is going to be your best bet, however it does come down to personal preference. U-Verse is sick, but it's not available in my area yet (even though it is to my friend 2 minutes away :/) but since you can't get that yet, I'm not sure what to tell you...
    Respect your elders.
    2009-04-10 08:58 AM
    ^^ What sucks is that U-Verse is available in my area, but for some retarded reason, my phone line goes to a box outside the city. I am kinda on the edge... The worst part is that my issue has been referred to engineering, and when asked for a timeframe or update, they told me "Engineering either gets it fixed or doesn't.There is no way to get an update and there's no telling as to when you might be fixed. Don't call us we will (probably not) let you know."

Really? Stick with comcast?
    2009-04-10 09:10 AM
    My family had TiVo a loooooong time ago and I absolutely LOVED it. You could search for shows, great easy to use UI, it was the bomb. BUT then we switched to DirecTV, which i guess is pretty good in functionality, but i just didn't love it the way I did TiVo. I did hear that TiVo is having some economical trouble lately, so you may want to look carefully before you take that step.
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    2009-04-10 03:08 PM
    Very interesting, does your service cut in and out like cable tries to make it seem?
    it has to be raining like crazy to mess with the picture. when that happens i just start the dvr up
    2009-04-12 05:51 AM
    lol I use rabbit ears... 6 channels
    2009-04-12 05:57 AM
    ^You get 6 channels with yours.....damn, I am soooo getting screwed
    2009-04-12 06:07 AM
    but only for 2 more months.. I'm not going to get the converter box, just going to go without
    2009-04-12 06:26 AM
    I have been with directv for about 4 years now....No issue HD is great too.
    2009-04-12 07:24 AM
    ^I bet you even have the directTV app
    2009-04-12 07:32 AM
    ^I bet you even have the directTV app
    No...I don't have DVR...just HD receiver.
    2009-04-12 07:44 AM
    Me too, I wanted DVR after I saw that app...hahahahahahaha
    2009-04-12 07:45 AM
    The app works great
    2009-04-12 07:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD