User Tag List

Ok I'm going in halfway with my dad in opening an internet cafe in colombia. This is what I have so far from doing research online.

Internet Cafe

You need an internet account that allows you to run an internet cafe (a business account at the very least).

Workgroup network and Ethernet to the computers. Fiber Optics and have them duplicated by separate paths so work is being done on the street they don't chop through your fiber and you're not out of business for 3 days. (The provider can set things up so that all connections are on both cables at the same time).

You'll need metering software, so that you know what to charge the customer. (Probably something that automatically reserves an amount, say $50, on the credit or debit card when the session starts, then bills the card when the session ends.)

merchant account to handle the card billing.

Hardware:

Wifi Printer
    Skype Phones or Headsets (Rent)
    Phones could be Vonage or Equivalent(VoIP)
    1 Router
    1 Switch per every 7 computers
    All USB ports disconnected. No CD or DVD drives.

Software:

Antivirus
    MSN Messenger
    AOL Messenger
    Remote Desktop on all PCs
    Computer Monitoring Software for Billing Purposes
    Openoffice (Just like Microsoft Office but free and just as good)

This is certainly not the whole list but I wanted some suggestions. I know this will do really well over there since it's not like America where everyone owns a computer.

I'm going in with my dad and he is looking to open up 2 down there. I will be hooking all the computers up myself and shopping for hardware and software. Thanks
    Last edited by gQstatus05; 2009-04-12 at 03:33 PM.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.
    2009-04-12 03:27 PM
    Nice bro good luck.
    2009-04-12 04:05 PM
    Thanks man. Give me a buzz sometime dude it's been a while. Oh yeah.

IT'S A GIRL!!!! Just what I wanted.
    2009-04-12 05:02 PM
    Do you have any plans to filter lewd websites?
    2009-04-12 05:30 PM
    Yes trying to avoid sticky mice and keys. I wanted a good all in one solution instead of multiple software. Something that comes with a lot of licenses.
    2009-04-12 06:00 PM
    Cograts bro.
    2009-04-12 06:20 PM
    Set up basic user accounts on all the computers
    2009-04-12 06:46 PM
    I think you should buy your hardware here in the us/canada, everytime I go back to colombia and go to a electronic store the prices are way higher than here even with the dollar being high at the moment in Colombia.
    Stuff like routers,usb ports,printers etc..you can't beat the prices of best buy or similar stores, in colombia the will charge way more.
    Last edited by chrisperro; 2009-04-12 at 06:56 PM.
    2009-04-12 06:51 PM
    Everything will be bought here. We purchase a container and fill it with a lot of stuff to sell down there since my family also owns a store down there. I need to contact dell and see how much the CDless pc's cost. I don't need anything crazy just something with 1GB/2GB RAM, hard drive can be very basic. I'm trying to get this list in time for August when I'm scheduled to go down there.
    2009-04-13 12:46 AM
    Try getting software like Symantic Ghost, so that if a computer does end up having a super virus put onto it, you can restore it to a predetermined image that you created.

Basically, create one computer exactly how you want, then you create an image of that computer.

We use it at Bentley University because everyone here has a standard issued laptop. I work at the help desk and we do this if there is a problem or virus that we cannot resolve. It is a 100% way of getting rid of viruses.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

I can't find Cydia on app store
    2009-04-13 01:02 AM
    Thanks for the advice on Symantec Ghost. I will look into that to see if I can buy a multi license one.

That avatar of that pokemon charizard brings back memories of middle school.
    2009-04-13 02:06 AM
    Def man. These kids today have no idea what a fad really is.

2009-04-13 02:08 AM
    Pokemon was terrible. Just chipping in. Good luck with your store.
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    2009-04-13 02:55 AM
    These types of business never last more than a couple years at best. It's not a very good long term business to get in to. Might get you by for a couple years. Dell is pounding out laptops for $300, how many $50 credits can you sell to someone that can buy a notebook and sit at home for 3 or 4 credits? WIFI is everywhere.......... even in my low tech town I can hit 35 wifi spots in a 10 mile radius with my iphone or a notebook.... I don't need to pay for it.

The initial investment will take you at least 2 years to get back, though likely more like 3 or 4. If you made it long enough to break even I'd be amazed. I say keep looking for an investment idea and skip the cafe. Technology is too cheap and available these days. This would have worked beautifully in the 90's.
    2009-04-13 03:49 AM
    Think about 'freezing' your machines. I'm trying to remember the name of the software, but basically it allows users to use the PCs and when they log off, it returns back to it's original state. It's kind of like reformatting every time someone logs off.

You can also purchase 'neowares' that do the same thing. They are small form factor PCs that reset themselves.
    2009-04-13 06:38 PM
    Think about 'freezing' your machines. I'm trying to remember the name of the software, but basically it allows users to use the PCs and when they log off, it returns back to it's original state. It's kind of like reformatting every time someone logs off.

You can also purchase 'neowares' that do the same thing. They are small form factor PCs that reset themselves.
    Yeah, I believe that my old high school had software like that. It would always reset the computer even if we installed software on it or did something like change the desktop background. If I could find the email for the tech guys at my old high school I could find out the name of that software for you.

2009-04-13 06:47 PM
    Pokemon was terrible. Just chipping in. Good luck with your store.
    shut the hell up you dumb-*** 13 year old
    pokemon was the greatest thing ever in the history of the world you missed it by about 4 years thou, so you never saw it at it's prime
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs
    2009-04-14 03:48 AM
    RM does loads of software like that for schools, not sure if you can get a corporate licence though...

How about renting a Mac for a higher cost?
    Hi there
    2009-04-14 09:52 PM
    Theres a software our school uses that is pretty good for watching over what users are doing, I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I will check ASAP and get back to you.
    Good luck man
    2009-04-15 01:15 AM
    shut the hell up you dumb-*** 13 year old
    pokemon was the greatest thing ever in the history of the world you missed it by about 4 years thou, so you never saw it at it's prime
    ahhhh pokemon was amazing. it was my whole elementary school life. i had over 3000 cards and all original 150 pokemon in mint condition. it was worth around 2000 dollars. but mother nature had its way and rain destroyed them.

anyway good luck with your cafe sounds like a great idea to me.
    2009-04-15 04:01 AM
23 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD