So, my family bought a linksys BEFSR41 router in 2003, and along with that, a WAP11 Wireless hub. Well since I can only get about 140kb/s tops on downloads, I decided (and convinced my parents) that we needed a new router. I think it is the router that we need. I'm guessing that I need to get a new router and wireless hub, right? But also, I was talking to dale1v and he mentioned my modem. Do i need to get a better, faster modem too? Basically I just need help figuring out what I need, and the best new product to get. :/
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    2009-05-16 02:17 AM
    the router won't increase your speed it's dependent on your modem (or hub, dunno what they call it in the U.S) and your ISP. The router only shares the net connection amongst multiple computers either by ethernet cable or wireless. Some hubs are wireless which eliminates the need for a wireless router.

I have a cable modem connected to a wireless router which then broadcasts to my computer.
    Last edited by dale1v; 2009-05-17 at 12:47 AM.
    2009-05-16 04:49 PM
    ^ +1

You can order different internet plans depending on companies.

There is really no point in getting a top-notch router if you parents have you on the 1 meg plan. There is also no point in going on the 50 meg plan if you have a bad modem/router.

It takes all three parts to get a fast connection because each one is like a piece of the puzzle. I suggest finding out what internet plan you are on from your ISP before taking any further action. If you are getting good service from your ISP then you can find out about all the hardware and such. If you are on a horrible plan then the only solutions would be to switch ISPs or get a better plan.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

I can't find Cydia on app store
    2009-05-16 07:26 PM
    Ahhh ok. That cleared things up, thanks. But unfortunately, another issue has cropped up. I use a PPoE account on my router. The other day, I was seeding a torrent and it stopped. I checked my internet, and it said i was connected, but i couldnt connect. I went to my router's page through it's IP, and it had logged out of the PPoE account, and instead was a random string of gibberish in the Username and service name fields. It was just like 6 characters that looked somewhat like " ". (Those were random ones, not the exact same). I changed it back to my normal account and pass, and went back to seeding. I left it overnight, and then got on in the morning. My torrent had stopped seeding, and sure enough, after checking the router's page, it had switched again. I changed it back, and now am waiting to see when it will do it again. If it does it, ill post what it looks like. Anybody heard of this?

EDIT: After leaving my computer seeding overnight again, I wake up to this screen on my router

That's not my username, and I usually dont have anything in the service name. Also, the idle time is usually 5 minutes, and the redial thirty seconds... Is the idle time the problem here, like, my computer is idle on it for 5 minutes and then it disconnects?
    Last edited by bteamer; 2009-05-17 at 07:05 PM.
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    2009-05-17 03:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD