First off I have an unlocked - JB - Iphone just like probably 85% of the people on this site. I'm using an older cingular plan with unlimited data usage. For those of you that have been with Cingular well before they re-became AT&T wireless, which is probably ancient to most on this site, you may be familiar with the unlimited MEdia Net plans from early 2000.

Any way today AT&T wireless called my home and my cell phone wanting to talk about my high data usage. I'm curious to know if anyone else has received such a phone call, and if so what was the outcome.
    2008-03-12 02:16 AM
    Would you be out of order to just tell them to **** off?
    2008-03-12 02:19 AM
    Would you be out of order to just tell them to **** off?

My thoughts exactly but considering they have all the power to charge me as they see fit, or limit my services....I chose just not to call back at the moment.......
    2008-03-12 02:24 AM
    They probably think you are "tethering" to a laptop or something, which we all know is illegal (cough, cough)
    2008-03-12 02:32 AM
    dude, just switch to tmobile i have an iphone on tmo, unlimited txt unlimited internet and a **** ton of minutes for 69.99 a month and as of this month ive downloaded almost 500mb and uploaded almost 200 and tmobile is fine with it
    2008-03-12 02:35 AM
    They probably think you are "tethering" to a laptop or something, which we all know is illegal (cough, cough)
    hmmmmm....now thats something new to me....time to google or wiki it.....
    2008-03-12 02:35 AM
    I see the ATT techs now (scratching their head), "ok....this dude is using a million, billion kbytes of data every month on a cellphone that doenst even have any type of web support."

Hahaha....what they dont know......Its an Iphone Bio#%#s!!!!
    2008-03-12 02:46 AM
    Well it all started when........actually the last phone I purchased from AT&T on a plan was a treo 680, which was reflected when I logged into my account online. Shortly after I got the iphone, my web account started showing that I had an iphone....made me wonder....hmmmm they're keeping tabs on me.
    2008-03-12 02:56 AM
    Ahhhh, well there's your answer. They just noticed you have an Iphone and DONT have the "Iphone Data Plan".

Dont really know what they can do about it.
    2008-03-12 02:59 AM
    Ahhhh, well there's your answer. They just noticed you have an Iphone and DONT have the "Iphone Data Plan".

Dont really know what they can do about it.
    Thats my real concern....whether or not they will begin charging me for my usage. Also I just found it weird that they were able to identify me as having an iphone without any communication or notification from me, but I'm sure its not that hard to identify electronically. I think I'll go into my account and say that theyve got the wrong phone listed... not sure what they will do, I just want them off my back and to leave me the h*** alone.
    2008-03-12 03:08 AM
    they can tell what device you are using by the simple fact that you use their networks . I used .7 GB the first month w/ my iPhone, and never recieved a call
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2008-03-12 09:09 AM
    you americans are sooooo lucky canada has horrible cell phone plans because we got no competition here the only GSM network is Fido and Rogers and Rogers owns Fido data plants to get like 25mb a month is over $60 and thats just the data plan you still need to get text messages,voicemail, calling , long distance ect ect on the dam phone too so your looking at easily over $100 and still a shitty data plan I hate this **** how is this even legal to do this when across the border you guys got data plants like that this is just wrong!
    2008-03-12 09:25 AM
    They disabled my EDGE connection....the E is not showing up on the phone anymore...WTF!!!!!!!
    2008-03-12 05:20 PM
    I'd call them and complain about why they are messing with your phone bill without consent. tell them that for all you know they could be adding stuff without your knowledge which means for you a higher phone bill. let me know what happens
    2008-03-12 05:30 PM
    Put your sim back into your treo 680 & use it a couple of times, then call AT&T and complain that you don't have a connection to the internet.
    2008-03-12 06:05 PM
    Too late I've been blacklisted...and they will not reconnect my data serice until I get an iphone or appropriate PDA plan. I've called a friend of mine that works for AT&T and he can only access my account but not make any changes to it, not until I contact the FRAUD DEVISION to discuss my excessively high data usage....

I'm normally calm but this is a MF bia......
    2008-03-12 09:17 PM
    Yes, they can see if you are using an iPhone (I think). When I called T-Mobile tech support, they said "Oh, you're using an iPhone?" without me telling them. Of course, even then, they didn't mind, and helped me out greatly. T-Mobile is really great (minus the coverage).
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!
    2008-03-13 04:04 AM
    ^ I couldn't say it any better...

Reako
    2008-03-13 07:37 AM
    they prolly had u on the list .since ur on so called grandfathered plans ...! If you happen to b on one. Wat happens is they check how is this old plan working out .since its an older plan ..they r most likely loosing money so they would useually offer you to update ur plan to a more current one.but I m guessing since ur data useage was through the roof they pines it as fraud.as far as them knowing what kinda phone u have they know ...by imei number or their device warranty tool that useully tells what kinda phone one has how long since when u be been useing it.. Blah blah

They suck**
    go to T mobile they r d best
    2008-03-13 08:13 AM
    how much do u use? O_o
    i usually use 400,000+
    2008-03-13 08:13 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD