Anyone using an Asus Eee PC? I'm very interested in getting one. The mods thus far are SICK. I'm looking to use my 'rebate check' the government is allegedly issuing to buy it.

For those who don't know, the Eee PC is an ultraportable notebook that starts at $299 and goes up to $499. It has:

• WiFi
    • 2-8GB SSD
    • 512MB-1GB ram
    • I believe a 900Mhz intel cpu
    • SDHC Slot
    • USB x 3 (2.0)
    • VGA-Out
    • Ships with linux, but can easily boot WinXP or OS X Tiger
    • battery life: ~ 2.5-3.5 hours (depending upon model)
    All in all, one powerful little book. The mods are ridiculous, as some hardcore h/w modders found a way to get a couple of internal USB ports hooked up, allowing the inclusion of 16GB Flash Drive (Can include 32gb) and BT Dongle. giving the user ~ 20GB total (Possibly ~ 40GB). Not to mention, one can get up to 32GB SDHC card too, bringing the max to around 104GB (32GB x 2 internal, + 32GB SDHC). And before we go into "SDHC, or SD in general has limited read/write cycles, blah blah blah..." Did you know that if you had a 4GB SDHC, and all you did was replace the contents as fast as you could, it would take 4 years of continuous replacement to 'burn' it out? So with a 16GB, that time (I imagine) would be quadrupled! (Source) The problem: 32GB SDHC, or USB Flash is still expensive; it's actually cheaper to get half the storage (16GB) for USB Flash and then 8 GB SDHC... That still gives the user about 30GB of storage...

A couple guys at my work got these things and they are flat amazing. lol, such a tangent to go on, but it really is something to look into as a definite contender versus the MBA. Oh yeah, it does also cost about 1/6 the price of the MBA (respective to both the lower and higher priced models). Even with the mods included, it would cost about $130 more (16GB USB, 8GB SDHC (Class 6), BT 2.0 +EDR)

So what do you guys/gals think?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2008-03-12 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD