User Tag List

Since there are so many iphone apps out there I wonder if someone has made their OWN browser which includes flash player for all sites.

Has this been done? If so, where?
    2007-09-27 07:47 AM
    I know Opera has an iPhone beta at the moment, but I don't think flash is supported yet. It is said to be enabled within the next patch or two.
    2007-09-27 07:51 AM
    Hm, well if the entire iphone main menu can be modified I don't understand why the flash player and/or new web browser couldn't be implemented.
    2007-09-27 08:06 PM
    Look at Linux. Flash doesn't exist on it either and it has been out for years upon years.

It most likely isn't that simple to do.

EDIT: I meant flash for PPC Linux.
    Last edited by Kitsune; 2007-09-27 at 08:41 PM.
    2007-09-27 08:09 PM
    I know Opera has an iPhone beta at the moment, but I don't think flash is supported yet. It is said to be enabled within the next patch or two.

Haven't heard anything about this. Any Link for more info??
    2007-09-27 08:21 PM
    Look at Linux. Flash doesn't exist on it either and it has been out for years upon years.

It most likely isn't that simple to do.

EDIT: I meant flash for PPC Linux.
    I doubt it's too technical.
    2007-09-28 03:53 AM
    I don't foresee flash for safari coming anytime soon. What I do see happening is a browser for iphone like opera, or a firefox version that supports flash. This would allow people to operate on a browser that is not as good as Safari, but would provide the flash support we all want.

Until the safari 3 update I had to use firefox as a backup browser for a lot of sites that simply would not render correctly. With the update to safari 3 I was able to use it for everything I previously could not use it for, thereby rendering fireSLOWfox worthless to me.

I envision the same will be done here at least for the foreseeable future where people will have a flash supported browser, but will have to use it as a backup to safari.
    2007-09-28 04:17 AM
    Flash itself is a huge processor hog, thats the plain and simple of it. You run a flash application, it hammers the CPU big time. That's not to say that there couldn't be a solution to accommodate the FLV format that flash (Adobe) uses to encode its video.

You would think that Apple has already thought about this. Otherwise, why would they go through the trouble of re-encoding all the YouTube videos. Those are all delivered (on YouTube.com) using Flash as the front end and FLV formats for video. Right now, I think it has to do with how fast your battery would drain trying to run a Flash site. But an FLV player would be awesome!
    2007-09-28 04:19 AM
    Flash is indeed a hog, but if you're running the NES emulator you know it takes less than 45 seconds for the back of your phone to go from ice cold to "noticeably very warm" so while it is stressing it is indeed proven to be able to handle it.
    2007-09-28 04:27 AM
    I've heard the the only reason we don't have flash on such browsers (My Wii's Opera browser also doesn't support flash 8 or higher) is because since Adobe took over Flash (between flash 7 and 8?) they haven't released an SDK (so the developers of these browsers can implement flash support) So only flash 7 or lower can be supported or something.
    Then again, this is hearsay and may be completely wrong...

EDIT: Found the article, I guess I'm not crazy =)
    Note: The article is refering to the Wii's Opera browser, and I am assuming it is the same reason for Mobile Safari..
    http://operawatch.com/news/2007/04/w...sh-8-or-9.html

The simple answer is that it’s out of both Opera and Nintendo’s hands. If you want to run Flash outside of Windows, Linux, or Mac, you need the Flash SDK (Software Development Kit), which is made by Adobe. As a result, the Flash SDK is needed to run the Wii and Opera’s mobile browser on phones. The problem however is, Adobe hasn’t released Flash 8 or 9 on their SDK, and until they do so, there’s nothing we could do about it.
    This does make me wonder why we can't have flash 7 working though...
    Last edited by unclear; 2007-09-28 at 04:42 AM. Reason: article
    2007-09-28 04:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD