I had Installer on my phone with a bunch of third party apps. Everything was dandy. Then I bought a car charger on eBay, plugged it in, and splat -- killed my iPhone. The screen went all whacky and I force-quit it.

I turned it back on and things seemed okay, or so I thought. I put it on the cradle and left it. When I came back later, it had a "Needs Repair" error. I turned it off and then back on and the message went away. I decided to clean it off and reinstall the software just in case. I deleted all the apps, made a phone call to make sure things worked (it did), and tried to reinstall the system. NO GO. It gave me an error. So I had NO way (that I knew of) to get rid of the final piece of software...the Installer program. Over and over I tried to reinstall, even on different computers. It wasn't happening. Then I noticed the battery wasn't recharging...it kept draining and the phone felt hot. Finally it ran out of juice and that was the end of that.

So I called Apple, told the phone wasn't recharging and the problems with reinstalling the software, and they sent out a box for repair (it was 17 days old).

What do you think will happen when they fix the battery (assuming that's all that was zapped)? My hope is they will reinstall the software and not look at what's already on it. Yeah, keep dreaming, right? If they see the software (though it had nothing to do with the damage), will they send it back with a bill for the repair? They'll have to fix it in order to see the software.

Best case, they don't notice and I get the phone back all nice and shiny. Worst case would be...what, do you think? A repair bill?

Skaught
    2007-09-27 10:49 PM
    I have already sent 2 phones to apple for repair one with just app. on it and the other was ulocked and had apps on it. Both phones were replaced by apple no questions asked.
    2007-09-27 10:57 PM
    Yah they don't mind.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2007-09-27 11:00 PM
    they don't care unless they can prove that your apps caused it, which they didn't. They are replacing phones left and right and currently aren't bothering with inspecting each of them if they don't see physical damage. I suspect that will change down the road though
    2007-09-27 11:04 PM
    Thanks guys. I mailed the phone in on Thursday and on Saturday FedEx delivered a brand new iPhone! Phew, that was easy! And now I don't have an annoying scratch on my screen anymore either.

Scott
    2007-09-30 07:41 PM
    There must be a problem with the Car Chargers as this is one of several people I have heard to have crapped out the battery by plugging in the car charger into it. Maybe they need to fix the issue.
    2007-09-30 08:43 PM
    Makes me not wanna car charger.....
    2007-09-30 09:12 PM
    I was gonna say, Apple just usually replaces them.
    I don't think they even try to fix them. =D
    2007-09-30 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD