User Tag List

Hello

I have some questions regarding payed apps on Cydia. If anyone can answer them with a source, it would be greatly appreciated

- Is it a requirement to pay for the Cydia paid apps to download them, or is payment like a donation but not required kinda thing?

- Are the paid apps under any copyright? Would there be anything wrong in me downloading them free from another source?
    2011-07-25 07:11 PM
    Yes it would be wrong. Think of it like this your are the developer of an app. You are so proud you made it you submit it to Cydia and feel as if you should get money for it. Oh look someone decides to make it free for people who want to pirate. Now when you could make lets say 100 dollars from the app you only get 10 dollars because everyone else got it for free. You wouldn't want that would you?
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Dude T.M.I
    2011-07-25 07:16 PM
    ..- Is it a requirement to pay for the Cydia paid apps to download them, or is payment like a donation but not required kinda thing?....
    Same as AppStore apps. If you want it, then you must pay.

..- Are the paid apps under any copyright? Would there be anything wrong in me downloading them free from another source?
    Yes and yes. Cydia apps enjoy the same copyright protection as AppStore apps. Without question, it is wrong to download from cracked app/warez site.

Also, In addition, cracked apps/warez frequently cause very serious instability problems and MMi does not allow any discussion.
    2011-07-25 07:26 PM
    Ok Thanks. I just wanted to make sure.

one more thing: Would it be ok to download them from a free source with the intention of trying the App or tweak. Then after you see if and how it works, then either buying it or deleting?
    2011-07-25 08:47 PM
    ...one more thing: Would it be ok to download them from a free source with the intention of trying the App or tweak. Then after you see if and how it works, then either buying it or deleting?
    No.
    2011-07-25 08:54 PM
    Yes it would be wrong. Think of it like this your are the developer of an app. You are so proud you made it you submit it to Cydia and feel as if you should get money for it. Oh look someone decides to make it free for people who want to pirate. Now when you could make lets say 100 dollars from the app you only get 10 dollars because everyone else got it for free. You wouldn't want that would you?
    minor gripe.
    Downloading software from "alternate sources" without proper license or permission isn't piracy,
    unless you do so on the high seas, flying the jolly roger, and engaged in violent seizure of uninvolved merchant ships.

Its slander of copyright, and it IS a serious and a bad thing in and of itself. Besides being illegal it has quite serious repercussions on the overall economics and creation, production, distribution of software. Bad, hurts everyone, etc, etc. It's still NOT piracy. I know people (personally) who've been the victims of copyright abuses and slanders, and who have had their personal work appropriated and misused quite horribly. I've advised people on protecting themselves from this, too. Its even happened to me on a few occasions, but less seriously since I usually don't sell or otherwise restrict license or usage on code I've written.

I also know people who have been victims of piracy.
    The fact that they "fought back" means that they got to live.

Piracy isn't about stealing food from the mouths of software developers, its about stealing boats and cargo and killing people.

No.
    yep

[/gripe]
    2011-07-25 09:13 PM
    Enough said. Bottom line, don't pirate.

Thread closed.
    2011-07-25 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD