Some long for times past ... when the news media reported facts. The Walter Cronkite days.

Don't know that much about UK politics, but in the US, there's so much opinion intermixed with the facts it's difficult to weed out the truth.

Add inept news reporting to the inability or unwillingness of many to find the real truth and it's a recipe for chaos and mayhem.

It's unfortunate our media coverage has abandoned truth in reporting for sensationalism and profit.

Times have changed.
    It'd be great to see what would happen if Social Security or welfare were halted or severely slowed down in the US. Great in the "how terrible, but I can't look away" sense (I don't mean to make any political statement).

It'd be the Murdoch properties versus the rest of the media, with heavy doses of racism and classism for good measure. No riots like in the UK though--the police would switch from tear gas and water cannons to chloroform and 5.56mm after twelve or so hours of rioting (probably sooner since I would expect far more heavily armed rioters). Posse comitatus and suspension clause would hit within twenty-four.

Times have changed, indeed.
    2011-08-13 05:25 AM
    Stepping away from this thread myself. Politics/religion are my areas that I just ignore with anyone other than very close friends.

Got a buddy of 15 years that has moved to different view than me on politics subjects so we both agreed to stay away from it in order to continue being friends lol.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2011-08-13 05:41 AM
    I hear on the news (not sure if it's really true haha) 50% of the Louisiana population gets food stamps.

Needed or not, free (or perceived earned/deserved) $$ wherever it comes from is next to impossible to terminate

Much of the world has become the 'I want it now' society. Saving, earning, and waiting have been displaced by easy money and credit cards.

The last year or two have forced a change. More hard times ahead, but it's a necessary change.

Hey ... On the plus side ....

The UK residents are becoming one again . Getting out, banding together and protecting their neighborhood. Great stuff. Nothing is better than taking care of yourself
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-13 at 05:50 AM.
    2011-08-13 05:41 AM
    Some long for times past ... when the news media reported facts. The Walter Cronkite days.

Don't know that much about UK politics, but in the US, there's so much opinion intermixed with the facts it's difficult to weed out the truth.

Add inept news reporting to the inability or unwillingness of many to find the real truth and it's a recipe for chaos and mayhem.

It's unfortunate our media coverage has abandoned truth in reporting for sensationalism and profit.

Times have changed.
    Nah, the truth is just as hard as ever to find. Nothing has changed but the means and amounts that we receive it.

Now the news is delivered via giant media corporations that span the globe and give us instant news when it happens, and that's not cheap. In order to bring us the latest news, news organizations NEED to make money. They spend incredible amounts of resources on getting to the news and digging up answers, not to speak of the infrastructure to back it up. The logistics are astounding. It's not very wise of you to insinuate that profit is somehow their main motivation. It's a factor, yes, but news is a business, so it always will be. PROFIT IS NOT EVIL. In fact, we live in an incredible era of information. This may not last forever!

Besides, the problem is not with the news - the problem is with ignorance. News is biased. It always will be. A listing of the facts tells us nothing - it's your responsibility to listen to expert analysis from many sources, not just one, then make a decision on what you want to believe based on all those factors. Never count on a single news source, analysis, or opinion - they may leave out a piece of critical information (bias is what they're NOT telling you).

No, it is not hard to separate fact from opinion. There are many books and research papers you can read on how to analyze information. It is both a science and an art. It takes lots and lots of practice to do it well - and some people get paid a lot of money to do it.

I agree that news reporting is not what it could be. Journalists-in-training go through school wanting to make a difference in the world through journalism, but that's a ridiculous goal for that profession. Journalism is about digging for the facts; the quest for facts. Doing it for social reasons is like wanting to go into religion in order to make money. It is a conflict of interest. Inevitably you'll get journalists that try to "fit a square peg into a round hole" in order to affect that social change they desire.

But profit and opinions are not the problem, only lack of education. When one learns to analyze information properly they calm down, understand what's going on around them, and have no fear. If one is educated, they'll have no fear of opinions.
    2011-08-13 05:53 AM
    I agree and disagree That's what makes democracy great.
    We can and still be a great nation, friends, and co-workers.
    2011-08-13 05:56 AM
    Like the song goes "lets start a riot"
    2011-08-15 09:52 AM
    I always thought london was the most peaceful place on Earth 0_0

I can't decide what it would be like if this happened in the US. I'd guess it would escalate to firearms faster, but I'm not sure tbh.
    2011-08-21 05:35 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.